What was your 1st ever chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first saw was a new 026 in 92. Still have it and it runs okay, although I don't use if for working anymore. Has been a good saw, but I am glad not to have to put up with the air filter getting dirty so quick anymore. I was pretty thrilled with that saw until I got a 371 in about 97.

Sort of moving away from Stihls for now as I have:

4 stihls (only use the 220 much these days)
5 huskies
3 dolmars
4 redmaxes (<= 40cc)

Last edited:
:cheers: Me to buddy! Dont know the exact model but it was made in about 1985 , little mac with a 14 inch bar ,said eager beaver on it! It wasnt much of a saw but at the time I was a kid and thought it was the best!

My second saw was a Stihl 010 it was 100% better , now I have 20 to choose
from, Damn Cad! :cheers:

My first saw was a Homelite XL-12. It was given to me by a friend. I used it to cut firewood one season then I moved on to bigger more powerful saws.

Its funny how often you hate what you had when you get something new, my first saw was the only one my father ever bought new a poulan 2000 16" bar. I still have it and it still runs. He still lugs around a home-lite XL 12 ( he got it in pieces in a box after a house flood) says he hates to get rid of it because he likes the fact that it has an auto and manual pump oiler. I still like the little 2000 but I have a new ms 361 on the way. sometimes it's hell to have to cut a 12" log for 5 minutes to get through it.

My first saw was my Homelite Timberman 45cc/18" bar. Dad bought it for me on my 19th b-day since I had moved out of the house and was living on my own on a place with a wood stove and plenty of trees to cut. It had this cute little nose guard on it that I removed within about 2 seconds of owning the saw. I hadn't really run a chainsaw much at that point, and thought this saw was a great one to have, worked just fine. Then a friend of mine, a Canadian logger, showed up with some big arse Husky he owned, 36" Cannon Superbar, dual port muffler, full skip chain, ported/polished... I ran it for about 5 minutes and realized why he referred to my saw as a "Fisher Price" saw.
When I was 20 I started working for the Forest Service and noticed that all the saws guys were running were orange and white. I didn't get to use them much, ran a 310 some which didn't impress me much. Then when I first became certified as a sawyer, the saw they gave me to use for my certification was a cherry looking Stihl 044, full wrap handle, 28" full skip chain, cut like a mother :censored:er. I spent a few more years floundering around running lesser saws, and in the winter of 05/06 I was working for wildlife on a wolverine trapping project... in the dead of winter we got a huge dump of snow followed by a bunch of wind that blew trees down left and right. I spent many a day running an 044 with a 28" bar and full skip (with the bar buried plenty of times too) and decided that I just had to have one. Searched for a long time and ended up with a rough looking 044 off Ebay that I got for $144 that runs great and is my saw of choice now. It still needs fleshed out with a full wrap bar and long clutch cover but it's MY saw. I hope to do a refurbish on it some day to freshen it up and keep it going strong for years to come.
I also recently bought a 460 mag that I only need a few more parts for to make a complete saw of it. I'm also working on getting an 026 to rebuild/refurbish and give to my Dad for Christmas. Maybe one day I'll buy an 066 just to see how they run :D I also have a love for the 038 MagII after running one for a few years at my last job, and recently bought a 361 for my current job and really like it as well.

Technically, my first saw a Stihl 032AV Farmboss was owned by my Dad. He taught me how to use a chainsaw safely and he still has the saw today. We used it to cut down some huge old yellow box gum trees on the farm, and it never missed a beat in the process. It has been a great saw, and I look forward to the day where my Dad finally surrenders it to my collection!

Regards,

Chris.

My first saw was a 45cc Timberman as well, with a 20" bar (way too big for the saw). It had the cute little nose guard on the bar which made bucking firewood while in a pile a pain. I have to agree with the Fisher Price comparison.

The saw was actually a joint purchase between my neighbour and I because at the time I wasn't cutting the majority of my firewood and just needed a saw once and a while for clean-up and small amounts of firewood. I used the saw on and off for about 2 years (2 years too many). The saw was super lean right from the get go and the chain brake broke twice in the two years. I decided to start doing all my own firewood and came to the realization after watching a friend cut with his Husky 351 that the Homelite just wasn't going to cut it (pardon the pun) cutting 8 - 10 cord a year. I fixed the chain brake for the second time, tuned the saw up, and told my neighbour to keep it for himself as I needed a bigger saw. The saw still haunts me now as the neighbour brings it back to me for sharpening, and tuning (it doesn't seem to hold the carb settings for more than six months).

First one that I owned was the MS260 that I currently have. I bought it new in spring 2008.

First one I ran was my old man's 272xp. I think he still has it. Talking to him this weekend he was wanting something a bit smaller so I suggested the 346xp and I can buy the 272 from him. muahahahaaha

MS 361 in January of 08.

Its been a great saw a little too good for just firewooding and cleaning up trees on my property. I heat primarily with wood so I dont want any saw hassles. I should have it for life!

I took my dads advise on buying tools and "cried once" for this purchase.

A new Poulan 2150, or something, I can't quite remember the exact model. I got it for Christmas from my parents when I was in college. I used it from about 1996 to 2003 when I purchased a Poulan Pro something. I now have a decent job and have moved up to pro saws. However, I really had no complaints using those Poulans back then.

Echo CS-306.

At present it's my only saw. I'm just happy that it starts reliably and cuts reasonably well if I keep the chain sharp.

I ran across this site while looking for information on the chain. I guess the CS-306 must be Echo's red headed step child because it seems to be missing from every application chart I find. I did figure out that it uses a 90SG chain which also seems to be hard to find. I guess I can order one from one of the on line vendors. I did find a post describing a substitute bar and chain and suppose I could consider that.

I got the saw to trim trees on our suburban lot. I got tired of cutting up the limbs - some up to about 8" - using a bow saw. It's possible that I use a chain saw less than everyone else on this board!

I may soon be joining the Poulan thread. I'm taking down a box elder before it drops a limb on a neighbors house and the trunk at the bottom is about 3' across. I found a "new" Poulan Pro 20" (4620AVX) for $110 on craigslist. Unfortunately it has carb problems so the seller has it back for repairs and the remains of the tree are standing in my yard. I know the Poulan is not a great saw, but it's about twice the cost of a rental so if I use it a few times and throw it away, I'm money ahead.

So... Where's the Echo thread? :greenchainsaw:

Mac 3-25

MY first saw was a Mac 3-25 (3 hp 25 pounds). Bought it in 1950, it was about the first good successful one man saw that would run in all positions. Wore it out and traded it for later model. Wish I still had it. Have been looking for a 3-25 to add to my collection, but don't find many around for sale.

Birdhunter

First saw was a pile of parts that my brother had fished out of the dumpster. Someone had run gas without oil in it and seized the piston. After a little work still runs great to this day.

Latest posts

Back