What was your 1st ever chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mine was a homelite 330 got it brand new, Was a good saw to learn with. Then went to Pioneers. Because thats what my Dad and Grandfather used.

Poulan 2300 CVA 1st year for that model I believe. can't stand it, still have it and still use it. I heated my home for a few winters, so now it is semi-retired. use it to clean fence rows and stuff. wanted to get another American branded chainsaw with some muscle only to find out that there aren't any left!

I used to think that my first saw was a Jonsereds 820, but now that I have an 801 the recoil looks more familiar to me.

Either way, it was a Jonsereds and I was very happy with it. Sadly someone must have needed it more than I did. :mad:

I have a preference for Jonsered chainsaws, but I do also have some Macs, Pioneers, Homelites, Stihls, Olympks (sp), Husqvarnas, Dolmars, Poulans, Remingtons, Craftsmans, ... and I think that's it.

Some of the older ones I will keep, but the newer ones will just be repaired and sold off or traded for (what else) Jonsered saws.

:cheers:

The first saw I paid money for was an 076 that was about 12 years old - I still have it and it still runs really well. Before that I had a bunch of loaners and long term loaners/freebies, including a Mac 10-10, Homelite 340, and Power Mac 480. Since then my next 4 saws have all been Stihls. More by opportunity than choice. If a nice biggish husky was going for a good price I'd definitely consider it!

14" wen lumberjack electric,, i put a new motor in it before they ran out of them, and still have it,, cut lots of wood for the stove with it,,,,,,,,

I still have my first saw which was a Jonsereds 49sp that I bought new in 1982. Wish I could go back in time and pick out a couple other saws to go with it.

First saw that I bought was a charity buy 011, I still have it, never use it and I have switched to Dolmar for saws:D

Little craftsman/poulan 2300 cva. Terrible piece of crap. The clutch has exploded, and I have to replace something every time I got it out. Finally left it for dead in the corner of my shop. I think im gonna leave it there.

066mag for me, had no idea what it was till my boss started drooling all over it. turns out i bought a good saw

Dad's old Homelite Zip. I had to replace the starter cup & pawls. After having it for 20 years I gave it to an AS member for his collection and it's still running.

A Montgomery Ward WD65 with a 17" bar and 7/16" pitch chain. I bought it at a dock sale for $65 in 1963 - it had been used, but apparently returned. The engine is 7.7 cubic inches (if I recall correctly, and that works out to about 125 cc) and it weighs way too much, but I used that saw for a lot of years before a neighbor gave me a box of XL12 parts from about three saws. I made one good one out of that and used that for another ten years.

I bought a Homelite PS33 at Sams club about 15 years ago and that damned thing still starts right up and runs but I have always had problems with the chain falling off. This past spring, it seemed to have lost power but thanks to this site, I cleaned the air filter and replaced the old fuel mix I was running and it seems fine now.
Last year, I bought a Husky 345 and there is simply no comparison.
I have a real firewood saw now and though reading this site makes me long to upgrade, I spent all I could afford on the 345 and it seems to be all the saw I need for my annual firewood retrieval mission.
I have considered the Husky 450 but not sure there is much to be gained from an additional .2 hp. As much as I would love to upgrade, I can see no need for my 3-4 cord a year harvest of 14" or less, oak, maple and birch.

Poulan micro xxv bought it new in the late 70's. It was the only saw I owned untill 1994 when I bought my new Husky 394 xp, that was quite a step up and that started my love for Husky's. I still have the poulan but stoped using it when the oiler stoped working probably ten years ago. That little Poulan sure cut alot of wood with alot of vibes!!:rolleyes:

Rich

Latest posts

Back