What was your 1st ever chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WPanhandler

WPanhandler

ArboristSite Operative
Poulan 2300 CVA 1st year for that model I believe. can't stand it, still have it and still use it. I heated my home for a few winters, so now it is semi-retired. use it to clean fence rows and stuff. wanted to get another American branded chainsaw with some muscle only to find out that there aren't any left!

cjcocn

cjcocn

Tree Freak
I used to think that my first saw was a Jonsereds 820, but now that I have an 801 the recoil looks more familiar to me.

Either way, it was a Jonsereds and I was very happy with it. Sadly someone must have needed it more than I did. :mad:

I have a preference for Jonsered chainsaws, but I do also have some Macs, Pioneers, Homelites, Stihls, Olympks (sp), Husqvarnas, Dolmars, Poulans, Remingtons, Craftsmans, ... and I think that's it.

Some of the older ones I will keep, but the newer ones will just be repaired and sold off or traded for (what else) Jonsered saws.

:cheers:

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
The first saw I paid money for was an 076 that was about 12 years old - I still have it and it still runs really well. Before that I had a bunch of loaners and long term loaners/freebies, including a Mac 10-10, Homelite 340, and Power Mac 480. Since then my next 4 saws have all been Stihls. More by opportunity than choice. If a nice biggish husky was going for a good price I'd definitely consider it!

damifino

damifino

ArboristSite Operative
I still have my first saw which was a Jonsereds 49sp that I bought new in 1982. Wish I could go back in time and pick out a couple other saws to go with it.

wigglesworth

wigglesworth

Booned
Little craftsman/poulan 2300 cva. Terrible piece of crap. The clutch has exploded, and I have to replace something every time I got it out. Finally left it for dead in the corner of my shop. I think im gonna leave it there.

mbopp

mbopp

ArboristSite Operative
Dad's old Homelite Zip. I had to replace the starter cup & pawls. After having it for 20 years I gave it to an AS member for his collection and it's still running.

ehgauss

ehgauss

ArboristSite Operative
A Montgomery Ward WD65 with a 17" bar and 7/16" pitch chain. I bought it at a dock sale for $65 in 1963 - it had been used, but apparently returned. The engine is 7.7 cubic inches (if I recall correctly, and that works out to about 125 cc) and it weighs way too much, but I used that saw for a lot of years before a neighbor gave me a box of XL12 parts from about three saws. I made one good one out of that and used that for another ten years.

Paul Bunion

Paul Bunion

ArboristSite Operative
I bought a Homelite PS33 at Sams club about 15 years ago and that damned thing still starts right up and runs but I have always had problems with the chain falling off. This past spring, it seemed to have lost power but thanks to this site, I cleaned the air filter and replaced the old fuel mix I was running and it seems fine now.
Last year, I bought a Husky 345 and there is simply no comparison.
I have a real firewood saw now and though reading this site makes me long to upgrade, I spent all I could afford on the 345 and it seems to be all the saw I need for my annual firewood retrieval mission.
I have considered the Husky 450 but not sure there is much to be gained from an additional .2 hp. As much as I would love to upgrade, I can see no need for my 3-4 cord a year harvest of 14" or less, oak, maple and birch.

394xp4me

394xp4me

ArboristSite Member
Poulan micro xxv bought it new in the late 70's. It was the only saw I owned untill 1994 when I bought my new Husky 394 xp, that was quite a step up and that started my love for Husky's. I still have the poulan but stoped using it when the oiler stoped working probably ten years ago. That little Poulan sure cut alot of wood with alot of vibes!!:rolleyes:

Rich