What was your worst injury?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive been cut acouple times nothing to major.Iguess the worst thing that happened to me was i got launched trought the air by a white oak limb that i thought was cut off athe way but wasnt. My back still hurts to this day from it. the tree rolled and rag dowelled me. The skidder opperator was coming back from a skid and see nme flying through the air. he said my feet were compleatly above my head when i hit the ground.

Last edited:
I laid the tip of my 044 right on the instep of my left foot close to full rev. It was about 1/2" wide about 3/4" deep and about 3 inches long. When I got it stitched up I asked the Doctor how long until I could get back in the hooks, he told my 3-4 days LOL. I couldn't walk for a month and the damn thing bled for two weeks. Funny when I look back on it I just became a little complacent and it was all over.:chainsaw:

Foot injuries suck.

Not quite as bad as a saw chain to the foot but I stuck a gaff through my big toe onetime. Was swinging tree to tree setting lines and did a 180 in the air, turned and landed on the neighboring tree. When I did I put my spike clean through my left big toe. Didn't take my boot off to look, I just kept on trucking until I finished the 9 trees I was doing. With blood dripping out of my boot I knew it wasn't gonna be a pretty sight though...

I also got nailed with a good 10" butt of a limb while I was doing storm work. It was under tension and did not react like I expected it to when I cut it. Nailed my left big toe again (about 18 years after the first incident though). Knocked me out of my spikes, lanyard caught me though.. I had to take my boot off that time to work the dent out of the boot toe. Again, I finished the job then went to my folks house to deliver some firewood (power was out due to ice storm). By the time I got to my folk's place my toe was throbbing and I was insane with pain! I heated a needle red hot and seared a hole in the toenail that had filled with black blood as my sister and mom morbidly watched. The blood almost hit the ceiling as the pressure was released. Instant relief!!! I was back in my gaffs the next day.

I was sharpening my saw and not thinking i was not wearing gloves and i didnt have the saw in the vice, my hand slipped and i cut my right index finger down to the bone it bled so bad when i came back from getting stitches i could follow the blood trail from the truck all the way down to the house, i had 3 stitches in the muscle and 9 across the top of my finger.

Shattered a knuckle have titanium in it now screws plate and a pin.

If you're talking chainsaw related, none really - except a cut pair of jeans that convinced me to start wearing chaps.

If anything goes... I broke both bones in my right arm jumping off a swing when I was 9. Dad called the Dr. who met us on the driveway of our gas station. The Dr. took one look, grabbed my wrist and elbow and started to pull. After a few seconds of intense screaming, I felt a slight pop and he stopped pulling. At the hospital, the bones were set so cleanly the xray almost barely showed the breaks. Hurt like hell but he probably prevented a compound fracture and surgery. Six weeks later I was good as new.

If you're talking chainsaw related, none really - except a cut pair of jeans that convinced me to start wearing chaps.

If anything goes... I broke both bones in my right arm jumping off a swing when I was 9. Dad called the Dr. who met us on the driveway of our gas station. The Dr. took one look, grabbed my wrist and elbow and started to pull. After a few seconds of intense screaming, I felt a slight pop and he stopped pulling. At the hospital, the bones were set so cleanly the xray almost barely showed the breaks. Hurt like hell but he probably prevented a compound fracture and surgery. Six weeks later I was good as new.

Good doctor! and you benefitted from his talent!

angle grinder with wirewheel kickbacked into my face once. It was one of those nasty wire wheels with about 20 to 30 individual very coarse twists of wire. hit right under my eye and tore down to my upper lip, looked like hamburger for a while but it healed up nice, a little scar above my mustache. And i cut my long hair the week earlier, im convinced it would of scalped me.

Last summer, I tripped in my shop. Fell kind of backward and to the side, so I threw my arm out to catch myself against the roll up garage door. My hand and arm went through the glass window in the door, and cut me from wrist halfway to elbow on the underside of my arm. Rolled a big flap of my arm skin up to my hand like taking off a rubber glove. I never got too panicked, fortunately, and my wife got me to the hospital fast. 70 some stitches, cut some muscles and both the ulnar artery and ulnar nerve. Bled like hell though. Now I've lost a lot of muscle in my hand, from the nerve getting cut. They say some of it will come back eventually, but we'll see.

Last summer, I tripped in my shop. Fell kind of backward and to the side, so I threw my arm out to catch myself against the roll up garage door. My hand and arm went through the glass window in the door, and cut me from wrist halfway to elbow on the underside of my arm. Rolled a big flap of my arm skin up to my hand like taking off a rubber glove. I never got too panicked, fortunately, and my wife got me to the hospital fast. 70 some stitches, cut some muscles and both the ulnar artery and ulnar nerve. Bled like hell though. Now I've lost a lot of muscle in my hand, from the nerve getting cut. They say some of it will come back eventually, but we'll see.

It will come back. Years ago I cut my forearm between the wrist and elbow, bad, with a 266XP. Muscle was cut, tendons partially severed, nerves damaged. I couldn't feel most of my hand, or use my baby finger and the one next to it much. I kept trying to use it, and it got better, took a long time.

30 stiches above knee from saw kickback, 30 stiches above right eye from binder pipe kickback .But the mother of all is 3 broken ribs ( pencil width ) collapsed lung, lacerated spleen, bruised kidney, multiple breaks in Every toe ,multilple breaks in foot, 4th toe amputated still waiting for the verdict on the little toe. Knocked off the back of truck when 6in dia. 42ft 800lb piece of pipe rolled off of pipe trailer (pipelineing) . It was that or get pinned between headache rack. Still healing up. Like my boss says , Glad I aint dead.

30 stiches above knee from saw kickback, 30 stiches above right eye from binder pipe kickback .But the mother of all is 3 broken ribs ( pencil width ) collapsed lung, lacerated spleen, bruised kidney, multiple breaks in Every toe ,multilple breaks in foot, 4th toe amputated still waiting for the verdict on the little toe. Knocked off the back of truck when 6in dia. 42ft 800lb piece of pipe rolled off of pipe trailer (pipelineing) . It was that or get pinned between headache rack. Still healing up. Like my boss says , Glad I aint dead.

So did the pipe roll over you or did all that happen from falling off the truck? Hope you heal up..

I was sharpening my saw and not thinking i was not wearing gloves and i didnt have the saw in the vice, my hand slipped and i cut my right index finger down to the bone it bled so bad when i came back from getting stitches i could follow the blood trail from the truck all the way down to the house, i had 3 stitches in the muscle and 9 across the top of my finger.

Shattered a knuckle have titanium in it now screws plate and a pin.

####!!! I have done that a half dozen times. I just pour somer diesel on it & wrap it up with some cloth.

chainsaw accidents

two tree related accidents first one asked new groundie to use aflying capstain to lower large beech limb he tied it i cut it limb hanging down cut it in halflimb spun hit helmet squashed forehead between helmet and glassess 10 stitches second one my own fault kickback from ms200t through vizor down cheek 64 stiches inside and out lucky for wearing glasses or eye would have had it back to work that week

two tree related accidents first one asked new groundie to use aflying capstain to lower large beech limb he tied it i cut it limb hanging down cut it in halflimb spun hit helmet squashed forehead between helmet and glassess 10 stitches second one my own fault kickback from ms200t through vizor down cheek 64 stiches inside and out lucky for wearing glasses or eye would have had it back to work that week

Welcome to the site transit, hell of a way to introduce yourself!

I've some injuries from pushing sportbikes past my abilities, but the worst I've done in a tree is splay some flesh with my handsaw, couple of bandaids later, right back up.

RedlineIt

The back of the pipe actually fell off first and when the front end came off it caught me in the ribs and launched me about 15ft foot landed on my toes and thats how foot got tore up. By the way a 7 minute Life Flight cost $11,000 worth every penny in my book. (Comp. case)

Used to work tree trimming the power lines in Maine for CMP (Lucas Tree)..

I got hit with 7200 volts of primary...foreman cut a tall sapling that had grown up between the primary and the neutral....it wasn't touching as it was, but when it fell it made contact...I didn't look, just grabbed to pull it out...BANG....in the left hand, up the arm, across the shoulders, down the right arm, and out the right hand into a tree I was using as an anchor..
Shoulders hurt for 3 days, like I over-worked the muscles. No other lasting issues..that was at least 20 years ago..

Brother is a "lifer" in the power line trimming racket...he was folding the bucket from the remote station on the turret...wasn't paying attention, and set the bucket down on his own head...his helmet saved his life...but he's now 2 inches shorter...he crushed several vertebrae in his neck...he was out for a month, with at least a year of P-T. This was more than 15 years ago now.

Used to work tree trimming the power lines in Maine for CMP (Lucas Tree)..

I got hit with 7200 volts of primary...foreman cut a tall sapling that had grown up between the primary and the neutral....it wasn't touching as it was, but when it fell it made contact...I didn't look, just grabbed to pull it out...BANG....in the left hand, up the arm, across the shoulders, down the right arm, and out the right hand into a tree I was using as an anchor..
Shoulders hurt for 3 days, like I over-worked the muscles. No other lasting issues..that was at least 20 years ago..

Brother is a "lifer" in the power line trimming racket...he was folding the bucket from the remote station on the turret...wasn't paying attention, and set the bucket down on his own head...his helmet saved his life...but he's now 2 inches shorter...he crushed several vertebrae in his neck...he was out for a month, with at least a year of P-T. This was more than 15 years ago now.

When lightening strikes it's a crap shoot who it is gonna hit on the ground. The guy in the tree is usually the lucky one when it goes to ground...

Pdqdl asked if I would tell the rest of the story, so here it is.

First off, I was in my mid 20's and knew how to operate a saw. I knew nothing at the time on how to cut trees. I cut quite a bit at work and cut firewood growing up. I am glad to survived to eventually learn better and safer ways to cut.

I has posted this story on an offroad forum years ago, and I had to go back to find it.

I got a helicopter ride, 5 hours of surgery, 4 titanium plates and 20 screws to put my face back together.

I was working and cutting a relatively small tree (10 to 12 inch white oak) that I didn't notch. It barber chaired and kicked off the stump, hitting me in the face.

I had under cut the tree, then started angling in from the high side. The tree started to go and leaned into another tree top. The trunk was at a slight angle.
Better judgment was over ruled because we were behind a deadline and I was pushing it way too hard. That tree was cocked cannon.

I stepped in beside the tree, touched the heart of the tree with the saw.
I saw a flash of wood and felt pain in my shins.
I opened my eyes about 15-feet away from the tree, laid out on my back with the saw still in my hands running. I sat up, turned off the saw, yelled for help and started the damage assessment.

I stood up, and couldn’t see my nose. I knew it was broken (understatement – I didn’t have a nose anymore). I thought, “I bet I lost some teeth in this one”, and ran my tongue around my mouth feeling my teeth. Oddly, they were all there, but I couldn’t figure out why my upper right rear molar was where my front teeth used to be. My front teeth were rotated around to the left side of my mouth. I was bleeding badly.
The guys I worked with got there and wanted to see the damage. I didn’t want them to freak, so I reached down grabbed my hat, put it on, and told them “Get me out of here.”

Here is the second big mistake of the day. The truck was about a ¼ mile away. We took off running toward the truck, while one guy steadied me on each arm. As I ran, blood way spraying out in front of me and I can still recall hearing splatter on the leaves.
I thought, “I’ve killed deer that didn’t bleed this much.”. Don’t EVER let someone that is hurt run, it just pumps the blood our faster.

We got to the truck and one guy got in back, me in the passengers seat and another guy was driving. We left the fourth guy on the hill with the equipment (he was in radio contact of another crew). He was in shock and never moved from behind the survey instrument during the incident.

We were driving off the mountain, but the guys didn’t know how to get off the mountain. We had surveyed up one side the previous two days, and that morning I hiked off to get the truck. I drove around to the next town, and up the other side of the mountain.
I was fading in and out due to blood loss. They kept yelling at me saying “Matt, stay awake – which way do we need to go.” There were a lot of logging roads that zig zagged up the mountain. I stayed conscious and pointed the right direction off the hill.

We hit the highway and Wes was burning rubber. I told him, “Man, I’ve already had a bad day – slow down, I don’t need to be in a car wreck too.” By this time my head was clearing up.

Part 2

We pulled into Elkins General Hospital, not the place you want to go for a trauma injury.

Wes ran in to get help as Phil helped me get out of the truck. I was walking toward the door when a security guard casually came pushing a wheelchair out the door to get me.

I walked over, and sat down. The security guard just stood there in shock. I thought “Great, I’m going to have to walk on in.” Mind you that this is the front door of the hospital, not the ER.
Phil grabbed the chair and wheeled me inside. I was met by a large number of astonished staff. I imagine that people in the waiting area were amazed that some guy with no face just came in the front door. I remember seeing a woman with the horrified look on her face as she was covering her child’s eyes.

They started working on me. They started to cut off my carhart bibs and boots. I stopped them and told them I would take them off myself. I raised up and they helped undress me. That was a lot of money they were getting ready to cut up, and I didn’t want them to ruin a good set of carharts or rocky boots.

As they worked on me I talked some. Most avoided looking at my face and tried to comfort me. Most of the nurses were wearing short sleeved white shirts. I was amazed at how much of my blood they had all over them. On their arms and splattered on their shirts. At one point one made a comment like, “we’ll fix you up.” I said, “I used to have a nose. It was something like hers [pointing to one nurse], but not quite as pointy. It was more like hers [pointing to another nurse]. That nurse turned white, walked out of the room, and never saw her again. I figure she is a librarian somewhere nowdays.

They tried a cat scan but I couldn’t stay laying down long enough because I was drowning in my blood. The guy running the machine was rude and said “You have to remain lying down for 3 minutes until we are done.”
I told him that I could only hold my breath for about 1 minute and that I was going to drown in 3. After several attempts they quit trying.

Part 3

My supervisor showed up and asked if he wanted him to call my wife. They had already called the life flight in and were moving me to Charleston (160 miles away by road). I said, “Call my wife and tell her that I have a broken nose and they are taking me to Charleston for surgery. He called and told her.

Unfortunately, the guy we left standing on the hill had already called our office. The owner of the company had already called her and said that I was injured with a chainsaw to the face. She said after that call she couldn’t stand up out of the kitchen floor.
The latter phone call eased her nerves enough to where she could drive to the hospital.
As I flew in, I was in and out. I raised up as we flew into Charleston and I looked over on the hill where my Dad was building a new house. I thought, “I wonder why no one is working on the house? The weather is great.” It was because they were all waiting at the hospital for me.

Part 4

We land, and they started to unload me. The flight nurse left the IV bag in the helicopter as they tried to pull me out. They tugged 3 times, I was screaming in pain and finally grabbed the nurse by the arm and tried to put her in as much pain as I was in. Yes, an IV line and a surgical sized hepernlock (sp?) in your arm will keep 3 men from pulling the gurney out of a helicopter. It did some major damage to my arm and bent the needle into a “J” shape.

I saw my wife, mom, and dad before surgery and woke up sometime the next afternoon. I couldn’t open my eyes due to swelling. I laid there and listened to people come and go and talk about my condition. The next morning I had enough strength to open my eyes and motion people. I went home and was back at work 5- weeks later because workmans compensation sucks so bad, that I was about to go under financially. I showed up for work and went back out. I worked 3 weeks before I got my first check from Comp. The same day I got my first pay check from work. I was starting to have bills that were late.

I don’t look the same after, but overall my appearance is normal. My teeth don’t mesh right, and I have weird feelings and sensations in my face now. My vision isn’t as good, and have pain sometimes.

I was eventually compensated for my time off, and didn’t sue or get any settlements. I was the supervisor on the job, I was running the saw, and the accident was my fault. I’m just happy to be alive, close to normal, and still employed. No one was at fault besides myself, so no owed me anything. I’m greatful for modern medicine and good surgeons.
Overall, I’m happy to be here and happy to be alive.

Good lord. This is the kind of story we all need to read from time to time.
Thanks, and I hope you never need write another story like this again.

Latest posts

Back