What was your worst injury?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah...I know that now.

When I got radiator burned, it was mostly because I was trying to prove a point. I had just paid some jackleg mechanics to fix an engine, and it was still overheating badly. They drove it around the block, and said " no problem, see?"

I said "BS!, see for yourself!" Even though I turned it to the vent position, I was not being very careful. After I got out of the spray and turned around to watch, that car was still shooting hot water over the garage roof.

That was many years ago when I was much more hardened [young and stupid?]. I never even went to the doctor on that little incident. Outcome? No infections, no scars on my face, it only scarred my arm a little bit where the t-shirt sleeve held the heat against my skin too long. It felt like a really good slap in the face at first, but was pretty sticky and unpleasant for the next month.

Summertime 1983

i was tuning my 57 chev before my next pass and the upper radiator hose blew off aimed right at my face. i know how u felt. nothing like scalding hot antifreeze in your eyeballs. needless to say i was done racing for the day.

Sure! I have had everything happen to me already. What's to worry about?

That's what I thought too. Yesterday, I was trying alittle underwater cutting torch, and ran out of shield air. On the way to fetch more, I stopped to push up the burning brush from tree trimming pile. My wife called wondering where I was, as she couldn't see me on the dock.

She mentioned that "we've been through fires, broken backs, de-capitiations, etc. but never drowned. So she said there was one left....:clap:

PS I got radiator burned pretty good under my arm once too, only listed injury in a S. Cal fire report. Same inconvience for a month or so.

That's what I thought too. Yesterday, I was trying alittle underwater cutting torch, and ran out of shield air. On the way to fetch more, I stopped to push up the burning brush from tree trimming pile. My wife called wondering where I was, as she couldn't see me on the dock.

She mentioned that "we've been through fires, broken backs, de-capitiations, etc. but never drowned. So she said there was one left....:clap:

PS I got radiator burned pretty good under my arm once too, only listed injury in a S. Cal fire report. Same inconvience for a month or so.
Dan......Are we gonna have to confine you to a steel cage.lol maybe you won't get out and hurt yourself.lol

Dan......Are we gonna have to confine you to a steel cage.lol maybe you won't get out and hurt yourself.lol

But I DIDN"T drown......yet. Ever tried underwater welding? On propane tanks? :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

good for a laugh?

Well I missed an injury yesterday, so I was happy to stumble upon this thread.
I was working in close quarters by 2 sprung trees with a 3rd log ontop of one. Everything looked & felt stable enough. Just before I was about to step in between the trees to finish a cut, the log rolled. I felt humbled & lucky.
Thanks for this thread & reminding me why the saying exists "safety first".
Fortunately the only injury I've had so far was a tick on my scrotum. No lyme disease.

Well I missed an injury yesterday, so I was happy to stumble upon this thread.
I was working in close quarters by 2 sprung trees with a 3rd log ontop of one. Everything looked & felt stable enough. Just before I was about to step in between the trees to finish a cut, the log rolled. I felt humbled & lucky.
Thanks for this thread & reminding me why the saying exists "safety first".
Fortunately the only injury I've had so far was a tick on my scrotum. No lyme disease.

In my physical condition I would consider a tick to the scrotum "chum". Trying to entice a little activity. :clap:

chainsaw cut.

havent been online in a long time. First time I've ever cut myself last may-n hope its the last... Was cuttin paperwood, fell a tree, took my escape route, and tripped on a vine.. Usually I'll hit the brake or kill switch, but in this situation til I backed out of the cut couldnt get it done til I tripped, and usually in a fall get used to throwing the saw away, but came down on the bar with the chain still movin.. cut my arm on the underside below the elbow, got some muscle nerves screwedup for good and covered with blood in seconds.. Yep just had to hit an artery, shoved a rag on it got to the landowners house they took me to get put back together dropped me back at my camp about 10:30 or so that night, next morning for two days I was skiddin logs with a good mare, and it felt good to be out there!

i know this place likes pictures......

just did this yesterday.View attachment 133185and this about an hour later.View attachment 133186 the dr. at the hospital said 12.5 cm and 15 stitches.was in the process of cutting down a small maple and was trimming the small limbs up. went to step over some trimmings and was gonna shut the saw off, the chain was almost stopped. just knicked me a little. didn't feel a thing.just felt my new pants pull.really didn't bleed much though, but it did run down into my boots for a little. when i picked up my saws i looked at my chaps and thought " its only a little tree, i don't need them" now i won't grab the saw without reaching for the chaps first.i was very lucky, a little more to the right, alittle more power and it would have a very different outcome. harold

Feet slipped out while climbing a large willow, bumped a stub just above "the package". That 6 inch slip into the trunk gave me a nasty hernia that had to get repaired. Now I try never to leave stubs on the way up I was just being lazy and didn't want to haul up the saw to cut it off on the way up.

just did this yesterday.View attachment 133185and this about an hour later.View attachment 133186 the dr. at the hospital said 12.5 cm and 15 stitches.was in the process of cutting down a small maple and was trimming the small limbs up. went to step over some trimmings and was gonna shut the saw off, the chain was almost stopped. just knicked me a little. didn't feel a thing.just felt my new pants pull.really didn't bleed much though, but it did run down into my boots for a little. when i picked up my saws i looked at my chaps and thought " its only a little tree, i don't need them" now i won't grab the saw without reaching for the chaps first.i was very lucky, a little more to the right, alittle more power and it would have a very different outcome. harold
Ouch, Hope ya get healed up quick.

My worst injury is to my eyes from having to follow this thread! Do you really think a real tree guy is gonna get in on this? I wont even describe some of mine . Make a safety meeting out of it and quit burning my eye's!
Be easy on me- Jeff

relax

My worst injury is to my eyes from having to follow this thread! Do you really think a real tree guy is gonna get in on this? I wont even describe some of mine . Make a safety meeting out of it and quit burning my eye's!
Be easy on me- Jeff

This is my safety meeting; the only one I have access to. I use these stories as a reminder of what can happen in case stupid sneaks up on me when I'm cutting. Due to what I've read here, I'm twitching like a junkie waiting for my chaps to arrive on Monday 'cuz I vowed to stop cutting until they arrive. It's a huge help to learn from others' injury experience. Thanks to all those who've shared their stories.

Close call

Today i had a close call,i was cutting a 80ft tall white oak had a twin as a fork, and had a big limb on the side i wanted to fall to,what i didnt see was a six inch limb about 25 ft up growed around the sister tree,so i cut my notch out and went a few inches abouve in the back but it never started to lean,i got almost through it and relized something was wrong, i stepped to the side to look at the back when it popped and kicked out taking the saw out of my hand and pushing about a foot in the ground,saw is trashed,and i had only used it three times,scared the hell out of me,pour saw was still running in the ground ,i have never seen a limb that big wrapped around another tree,

You can't buy that "ride" or buy the experience you have gained. I remember years ago, my boss told me I am not a real tree guy until I cut myself with a chain saw. Kinda scared me, but I liked the work. That was in 1978, The guy I worked for had me on a " bowline on a bight" and soon bought me a saddle. Seemed like X-mas, Karl Kuemerling signature, still got it. Also got 3 chain saw cuts and 1 pole pruner cut. Maybe he was right, but I would use that experience to my benefit. I make my climbers use two lanyards for climbing over limbs so they are always tied in, cause I remember sliding down almost 30 feet with my lanyard. I think we become better by the experiences.
Jeff:)

I was 12 years old an climbing up the silo when my foot slipped off the step and I started falling, about 12 feet from the ground I grabbed a step and swung into the bar above it. I never went to the hospital for that one, but I was deeply bruised and had a hard time breathing for a couple days.

When I was 13 I was helping a neighbor unload hay, and while he was tossing bales onto the elevator I stepped forward to straighten a bale and a chain brought my right foot under a sprocket. Luckily the elevator was run by an electric motor which quit when my foot got under the sprocket. The boss reversed the wheel and got my foot out and I limped over to a shade tree and took off my boot and sock and saw blood pouring out between my 1st and 2nd toes. I thought I would just get a few stitches and be back the next day. I ended up going to the hospital and discovered all 5 toes were broken. One of the cogs on the sprocket left a perfect indentation in my 3rd toe. In all I had 1 compound fx of the big toe and 9 fractures in my toes in all. Doctors were worried I would lose circulation in my toes from the crush injury. I ended up healing fine, but I don't have much movement in those toes and that foot gets really cold fast in the winter. Dr figures if I would have had steel toes I would lost part of my foot.

Stay safe out there

Kyle

not me but my aunt pulled this one...

her and her husband were doing some magor cleaning out of thier house... with a dumpster... she goes out to the dumpster that is geting full, heaves what she is carrying up and partially in. so she climbs up and gives it a shove therest of the way in... loses her balance falls backwards, trying to catch her self, she managed to break bothof her fore arms(left and right)...

just think about that? you no longer have use of your arms pretty much from the shoulders down till about your fingers... she had to have her husband wipe her, now that's dedication.

her and her husband were doing some magor cleaning out of thier house... with a dumpster... she goes out to the dumpster that is geting full, heaves what she is carrying up and partially in. so she climbs up and gives it a shove therest of the way in... loses her balance falls backwards, trying to catch her self, she managed to break bothof her fore arms(left and right)...

just think about that? you no longer have use of your arms pretty much from the shoulders down till about your fingers... she had to have her husband wipe her, now that's dedication.

And then the six weeks of answering "..... dumpster diving...:("

My little boo-boo..

Well I'm a noobie to the tree cutting world with only 4 years of exp.. Last year I was on the ground for a road "opening" (to let the sun hit the road to help melt snow in winter) with a local company in my area. First i should say I have alot more time in trees than on the ground.(I love to climb) Well I was on the ground with 2 other people and they were supposed to be stopping any traffic that came while I chipped and pulled brush. Well the guy in the bucket was starting to chunk down the pin of an 80' maple and a car was coming. The 2 others were gone and the car was just gonna go so I jump in front of them and got them stopped just in time for them to see me get slammed with the 10' chunk of pole that would have gone thu there roof. I caught the log with my leg rite above the knee. It pulled a 3'' wide 5'' long strip of flesh off my thigh, knee, and top of my shin. Some how my leg didn't break, but it looked like i had a basketball for a knee. I did not go to the doctor but couldn't walk for a week, and couldn't climb for a month. It's been a year and my knee is very stiff every morning and I have this crazy dark patch of skin across it. Just a side note I ran a service sole the year b4 with no incidents at all. I find that I am alot safer in the tree than most, always using rope and such. I now run a small service with a crew of 3 including my self. I don't use lifts but I do hire a 120' crane now and again. Also if I feel the job is out of my exp. level I trade it to the company I got hurt with and he'll give me a couple of his smaller jobs so the money is about the same. Don't know were I'd be with out him...

Back