What was your worst injury?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn tough break.

I'm familiar with the feeling, though. I gave the tip of my thumb to a shop planer, and it yanked my whole hand into the machine. I'm several digits short now.

I really don't like bumping my small finger-stumps, and I would really hate to be obliged to walk around on a leg sized stump all day long. It hurt like hell in the beginning, I'll bet?

Does your stump ever get used to being walked on, or is it a constant discomfort?

It does get tuffened up to a point.Weight changes,water consumption,beer ect all make your stump larger and not fit in the socket. As humans we adapt.... -Cheers:rock:

Got my thumb caught in a bench grinder, ground off half the nail and all the flesh to the bone right up to the first joint. Drove myself to the hospital, arm out the window to keep it elevated. Nothing much they could do, no place to put a stitch, they cleaned it (oh, that was fun) wrapped it and I went back to work. It took twenty years or so but it looks normal again. Riding my dirt bike, caught left foot between a buried rock and the foot peg, glad I was wearing mx boots, still have a foot but the great toe will never be the same. It ended up much wider than it used to be, not what you'd call pretty. I had to wear oversized work boots for years after that.
Best near miss?
I was falling an old birch tree when I felt a heavy thump on my back. Straightened up to see what hit me, it was a 3" dia. limb about four feet long. Rotten but still heavy. Could have brained me. I figured that was a friendly reminder from God, so went to the truck and got my hard hat on before continuing.

I was visiting with the coroner a couple days ago. He goes out of his way to check on me. We've had a lot of young (teenagers) and middle aged HEALTHY men die recently.

The men is mostly accidents.

The coroner knows of six of my major blemishes, and figures I have at the most 3 left.

I don't think the coroner makes anything off a person's demise, so he must have a side bet. :)

I was visiting with the coroner a couple days ago. He goes out of his way to check on me.

[CLIP!]

I don't think the coroner makes anything off a person's demise, so he must have a side bet. :)

Probably looking forward the the post-mortem exam. Figures he might see how you were getting by with all of the busted up parts you got.

Man I have been beaten up the past two weeks. One forearm still looks like hamburger where I took a ride that jerked me out of my spikes when I got overzealous with a pine top that I should have took in smaller bites. Then I got popped right in the mouth today when a dead stick came out of a tree I was pole sawing a limb out of... At first I thought it knocked my front tooth out... Bled like a stuck hog.

Certainly not my worst injuries but they suck just the same...

Major injury

Lost right thumb/index,middle and ring finger to a table saw kickback.
Doc was able to re-attach thumb and ring finger.. Not really usable other than to hit the keys on a keyboard.

Dislocation of left shoulder, and left hip to motorcycle accident - doesn't really compare to losing the fingers

not much of an injury but i was pruning a coconut palm and reached up to cut out some paper. when the saw had finished cutting through the paper i lost my grip on my saw and gravity took over. dropped my sugoi on my left hand. 5-6 nice tooth punctures. bled like a stuck pig.

Lost right thumb/index,middle and ring finger to a table saw kickback.
Doc was able to re-attach thumb and ring finger.. Not really usable other than to hit the keys on a keyboard.

Dislocation of left shoulder, and left hip to motorcycle accident - doesn't really compare to losing the fingers

Yep. That would suck.

I only lost thumb & index, and I really don't mind that nearly as much as most of my other injuries. Apart from difficulties sometimes picking up dimes, my R hand doesn't bother me. It really gets my attention when I bump my stubs.

I guess being a carpenter with only 1 good finger would be tough. Were you right handed?

I was, and I still do everything right handed.

Broke my nose when a log cart handle slammed me. I set it at the job and it's pretty straight but I have trouble breathing through one side. About 5 years ago I was removing a couple of dead, dry and rotten sugar maples on a hot still day and I breathed in a lot of mold spores. I got symptoms like histoplasmosis and I was sick for a couple months. Never really regained my full breathing capacity and I thought it contributed to my heart attack later that summer.
Phil

Yep. That would suck.

I only lost thumb & index, and I really don't mind that nearly as much as most of my other injuries. Apart from difficulties sometimes picking up dimes, my R hand doesn't bother me. It really gets my attention when I bump my stubs.

I guess being a carpenter with only 1 good finger would be tough. Were you right handed?

I was, and I still do everything right handed.

If I remember correctly, you said you lost your fingers in an accident with your shop door?

I nearly lost a finger while trying to fix my shop door a couple of weeks back. I was trying to put the wheel back in the track and my dumb ass groundy tried to forcefully slam it in there while I had my finger in the track. He stopped just short of slamming it in there which would have certainly severed my finger. As it were, I just got away with a nasty cut... That has contributed to my recent decision to not let anymore of my help help me to "fix" anything.

View attachment 233907 Caution, graphic content!!

3120 muffler to the inside forearm takes the cake for a little while anyway. Could have been much much worse.

I have seen many burns just like that on my grounds maintenance crews over the years. They get to swinging a string trimmer/brush cutter real aggressively, then their arms get tired. Before you know it, they start wrapping their forearms around the top of the engine to control the swing.

Wrap too low, and YEE-HA!, they burn their forearms on the exposed muffler. BIG muffler prints on the tender skin of their forearms.

Every one of them reported that it really hurt a lot, so you have my sympathy.

Thanks, and you have mine. I cant imagine sticking a finger into the planer. I work at a custom millwork shop right now. And everyday seems like a timebomb until a digit is missing.

For sure. Boss tells me I am too slow, but he doesnt provide insurance. So I will either be slow, or I will just go home. Keeping my digits and limbs is pretty important.

Be careful out there guys :)

Back