What will happen to your saw collection when you're gone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All, I've been debating starting this thread for several weeks now. There may be another thread within AS that covers this: however I didn't search it out. If so, I apologize. Furthermore, this is not meant to be a touchy-feely thread, it's meant to purely share an experience with others so it doesn't happen to them.

The driving force behind the question is the recent passing of my Father in-law. Dave was a retired Army Officer and a really good man. He didn't plan very well in general and when he was stricken with lung cancer in October, he wouldn't/couldn't assist us at all with his wishes or preferences on what he wanted done with his "stuff".

My point and recommendation to AS members is to simply have a plan on what you'd want done with all of your "stuff" if something were to happen to you. This can and should include chainsaws, collections, equipment, weaponry, vehicles, tools, and the like. It not only helps you with the knowledge that your items will go where and to whom you want them to, it will help your family members in meeting your wishes and desires. Also, it allows your family members to know what particular items are worth so they won't be taken advantage of in the event of a needed sale. Thankfully there is no strife within our family on David's "stuff", but his failure to plan has caused major problems and concerns for my mother in-law in other ways, and for us as well.

So, there's my rant and here's the question you should ask of yourself: What will happen to my "stuff" when I'm gone? Good luck and plan well. Best, Max.:cheers:

I have a friend in the demolition business in Richmond. I think my wife will have him deliver a couple of 40 yard cans and start pitching. She doesn't care that it might be rare or valuable, it will just be gone.

When I Pass

Interesting, I've given this (what to do with my collection) some thought, recently. Most of my collection was given to me at no cost or a trade which was favorable. Such as: The family that gave me their dads last saws out of Grisdale or when a friend Bill stopped over and said, enjoy the ####load of logger saws in the back of his pickup (he passed away a couple of months later). Seems like many of my saws have a story that goes with them.

I've told the boys, pass the collection on the same way they were received and don't worry about the money.

So you young guys, understand when you get that great deal, likely it was from an old guy just "playing it forward". Or someone just getting rid of their junk. deereguy

It would be unwise to assume that family will want a pile of junk, nor will they know what is valuable or how to sell it. Do them a favour and write a list. Or at least leave your Arb site password so they can log in and ask for help. I have seen this a few times on knife collector sites. The widow logs on and tells everyone that hubby died and people assist with selling his collection for fair value.

I also see people die all the time with no will in my line of work. People in their 80's with no will. People who have fought cancer for years and finally die from it with no will. I have never understood why they never did one.... I mean, everyone is going to need one at some point, it's somewhat unavoidable. If you die with no will it just makes it harder for your family to deal with after you are gone. Make it easy for them in any way you can.

Just about all of my 'girlz' are gonna be given away to everyone that makes up the chainsaw community.

Buy a ticket for $10 or whatever - do a raffle - get a saw.

The money for the tickets will go to my wifey - and she and my siblings will do their part to pick up my end of giving to the saw community in my memory (sponsoring races at GTGs, giving up saws for charity, ect). ::thumbsup::

This question brings alot of thought. A friend of mine has been really frugal for 40 years, amassed a good fortune for retirement. Now his health isnt very good. He will leave this earth knowing that with the money he is leaving his wife. She can have almost any man she wants. Rest easy my friend.

My wife hates chainsaws for various reasons. For those of you with CAD and have wives that hate chainsaws too.....you know the reasons why.
I suspect theyll end up in a van down by the river.....or just end up in the river behind the house :laugh:

Good post. My grandfather passed away about 5 years ago, and told all of the kids before he died that he wanted me to have all of his tools. I ended up with most of them, and put them to good use, but there was a lot of "he doesn't need this and he doesn't need that." It ended up with some confrontations and some hurt feelings. I now have a pretty thorough will for myself and family. I am not so concerned with the tools, but with the current direction of our legislators I have gotten pretty specific with the firearms.

I have been an auctioneer for over 25 years.So I know that an auction is going to dispose of everything.I have 4 children so an auction stops any fighting about anything.If they want it they can bid on it.If the wife and I are both gone each would child would get 25%.An auction really is the fairest way to go.Say the whole sale brings in say $10,000,each child would get $2500.So they bid on several items they want,it just gets deducted from their $2500.Say they buy $500 in things they want and the total sale is $10,000.They would get $2000 plus the $500 or 25%.

An auctioneer comes in and does all the work setting up the sale.The survivors just say what is or is not in the sale and the money is divided equally afterwords.Most peoples collections and possessions can be gone in 5 to 7 hours.

Back