What will happen to your saw collection when you're gone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When my dad passed he left all his guns to my brothers and I. We had great fun deciding who would get what. I have two boys into chainsaws - when (and if!) I die they can share 'em. It should work out OK as one likes Stihls and one likes Huskies. Worries me that all my Poulans might be put out for scrap, though.
I am sure they'll get it right as they already know which guns they want.

After dealing with the cluster #### my brother left, I spent the time and set everything up. All the information is backed up, paper, CD and flash drive, with copies going to reliable people.

After dealing with the cluster #### my brother left, I spent the time and set everything up. All the information is backed up, paper, CD and flash drive, with copies going to reliable people.

Randy, Do you want to double check the spelling of my last name? lol

My little boy likes certain saws, and knows the value of others. He'll likely cherry pick through the collection and off the rest.
j

Paper is still the way to go nowadays! Who will have a CD or flash drive in 10-20 years? Technology is still advancing so fast, and the posibilities of electronic manupulation are simply too easy.

What to do with my saws? Burn them! Should be a pretty impressive bon fire! :D

I intend to sell a few saws along the way, give some to my sons-in law if they want them, and have the rest auctioned off. I'm a believer in paying it forward, as people have done that for me. But no one in my family needs 7 saws, including me! lol

when you guys want to get rid of them before your kids sell them, send them to me I'd be happy with them

Mine are just tools, and cheap ones at that. I hope my son wants them, but really there won't be anything to run them on before too long (that is available/affordable anyway), so who cares. The hand saws I'm starting to collect now may be of some lasting value.

Actually, on not being able to run them, that's a common misconception. They are already producing synthetic gasoline from methanol, and even garbage. Most of the gasoline in south Africa is produced by fracing coal. Very easy process to do, and there are another 300+ years of coal, even after increased production. There will still be lots of gasoline in your great grandchildren time, just produced from sources other than oil. Remember, gasoline is a hydro carbon, it can be produced from almost anything, nothing says it has to come from oil, that is just the easiest source.

don't know, don't care, i won't be here. however, i've already told my wife and sons-in-law that some of my saws are rare and some aren't and some are worth more than others. up to them to figure it out. just sayin.

I'm pretty young still in my mid 20's but I doubt my daughter will want them. My cousin who I'm very close with and I will probably leave ours to his boy. 2 years old and has CAD and watches a chainsaws video every night before bed. I guess all I really want is for someone who is as happy to own them as I am. I may not own many and they may not be rare but they're my most prized possessions.

whoever gets stuck cleaning all the crap out of my shop can have em ,i wont be needing them anymore

Any saws I have left will go to my next generation cousin, who lives with his wife and daughter on an old farm across the street w/ 55 acres. We think alike about keeping up the land.

Last edited:
Pretty good thread.The auctioneer had a good point.If your wife and kids don't care or you are childless the auction is the best way to go.Stuff doesn't walk off,people don't bother the widow(much)and you will rest easy knowing your stuff is going to people JUST LIKE YOU.If you are really thoughtful you can start getting rid of the junk now.I used this method with my older(much) wifeless,childless brother.I basically said you're going assume room temperature and leave your nephew and his buddies beer money(in scrap) for about the next five years.Worked like a charm.

I am about 60+ years away from worrying about that. My dad figured it out well, willed all his tools to me. Hopefully atleast another 30 years before I get them.

I am sure you can come buy them along with most everything else when my nephew has the auction to pay for a bigger pulling tractor BILL

Latest posts

Back