What would you buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glen2504

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
In the quest for more power and fun, what kind of saw would you buy in the $1000 range? Would you buy a used saw or new? I'm thinking a new 395xp and getting a lightweight 32" bar.
Also considering looking for a used 385xp or 390xp? Can the new 395's be modded and tuned easily?

I you don't plan to go longer than a 32" bar, a 390 would certainly fill the bill. A 7900 will also pull a 32" well and is lighter, but 32" is also nearing the oiling capacity especially if the wood is dry. If you are thinking you will be using a 36-48" bar in the future, then that is 394/5 territory.

I would go used from someone on here. It should come well under the $1k.

A 395xp is like a cinder block with a handle. More power it has in spades. Running one all day is a lot more like work than fun. You need some really big trees to justify a 32” bar. I own 2 395xps. I have started either this year. Most stuff has been falling to a 562xp or a 372xp. Just aint makin’ bigger trees around here anymore. I can think of a lot more fun things to do with $1000 than purchase a chainsaw.

A 395xp is like a cinder block with a handle. More power it has in spades. Running one all day is a lot more like work than fun. You need some really big trees to justify a 32” bar. I own 2 395xps. I have started either this year. Most stuff has been falling to a 562xp or a 372xp. Just aint makin’ bigger trees around here anymore. I can think of a lot more fun things to do with $1000 than purchase a chainsaw.

Call me crazy but as long as the weather is cool, I enjoy the exercise or work whichever you prefer to call it. I have a 346xp and 575xp. It's not that I need a bigger saw, I just like to have the right tools for the job. My plan is to sell the 575 and get a 372 for most cutting and find a 395 for the big jobs. Just looking for other popular models in that price range as well pro/cons to them.

My 385 is fun to run when the wood gets over 20", but I'll grab a smaller saw until then every time.

What do you currently have that it would be complimenting?

Call me crazy but as long as the weather is cool, I enjoy the exercise or work whichever you prefer to call it. I have a 346xp and 575xp. It's not that I need a bigger saw, I just like to have the right tools for the job. My plan is to sell the 575 and get a 372 for most cutting and find a 395 for the big jobs. Just looking for other popular models in that price range as well pro/cons to them.

Your crazy. Keep the 575 and run the hell out of it while trying to find a 372xp with the 75cc cylinder/piston. You will not need much more for anything else on the east coast. Not much competes with the 395xp. The dolmar 7900, husky 390 and stihl 660 are close but seem to lack something that is costly to correct.

You want exercise or work out look into a 3120. I haven’t started mine in over 3 years. It is like two cinderblocks with a handle but it will pull and oil a 50” cannon bar. Just staring the beast is probably enough of a workout to give most a heart attack.

CS2188, 390xp, MS660 just pull the trigger and enjoy standing in woodchips up to your eyeballs. :msp_biggrin:

There's a big ported solo in the auctions here for under your budget...

I have run that big SOLO...
It's a VERY nice saw. Solid as a rock. Will run and oil a 36" bar with no trouble...
The 694 I assume???
It's a 9010 in SOLO red...

Spent the afternoon cutting BigOak

Yeah I know it didnt happen because I didnt have my phone to take pics.

Point is I used the Mastermind 371 20" 3/8 to cut the stuff 20 and over. Then I found myself using the Mastermind 346 XP 16" 3/8 for everything else. At no time did I feel like running up to the shed and pulling out the Tlandrum 385 xp 32" 3/8. I could have started with the 385 and and had a blast, but except for the stump the 371 was plenty, even though the 385 will out cut it. Im looking forward to getting the 2188 from Terry, but will have to look for wood to cut, or simply put a 24" on either the 385 or the 2188. The point is they are great saws, but trees around here are manageable without a 395. Doesnt mean you dont need one, just isnt as much fun hauling around the extra weight when you dont have to.

The 346 Mastermind sent me is really something special. I have a feeling I'm going to be spending more money on mid size saws that perform instead of the heavyweights.

I consider 90 cc the uper limit of mid size.

Last edited:
I just love my 385XP..
She keeps gettng stronger with every tankful!

I say get the largest Husky you can find/afford.

the 385 and 390 are very nice saws, they respond well to porting and muffler mod's, and are fun to run. but there is no replacement for displacement, that being said i would go with a 395. they have the outboard clutch which tends to last longer, keep some heat outside of the saw, and according to sawtroll provides better sideways balance. it pulls a 36" bar like its mad at it. 395 imo is the pick of the 3

I prefer the 395 to run a 36". If you're going shorter than that like a 28" light weight bar then a 390 can be ran all day for me.

My 395 ported cuts and runs like nothing I have ever run. I bought it used on here in your price range. My next goto big saw would have to be my 460. It will cut right with the 660 except with a 25" bar buried in rock mapleand only has a mm. I normally save the big saws for felling and blocking I like the exercise too and if they are in the wood you aren't carrying them around...let the saw do the work.

In the quest for more power and fun, what kind of saw would you buy in the $1000 range? Would you buy a used saw or new? I'm thinking a new 395xp and getting a lightweight 32" bar.
Also considering looking for a used 385xp or 390xp? Can the new 395's be modded and tuned easily?

I live in Athens also. You can come by and cut with a 385 that Terry ported. I don't think you will want anything more. Its got a 32" full comp 3/8 and has an attitude.

And I just happen to have a stump of red oak 30+ and about 6 feet long.

Last edited:
Back