What would you do in this situation?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattinky

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
O.K., So this guy buys a Remington 754 oil cap out of my ebay store. I send him an invoice, this is the message he sends me:

can i send you my mother info to pay for this cap ! i have no money ! unable to setup an ebay account for her ! my father willed me this saw ! he revcently died and i wanna restore it to a-1 condition ! please respond so i know what to do ! any sucjh thing to help outa fellow amearican by chance for you to donate this cap ! plz ! if no send it to 151 e.king st to troy fluhart in zanesville ! ohio 43701 would very much appreciate it ! once again thank you !'
p.s father just died 11-27 pm 2008 ! thank you sir

I feel sorry for him in a way, but it also 'kinda pizzes me off that he did'nt email me before he bought it. There's so many scam artists out there now that I don't know whether to belive him or not... Any one of you guys here could tell me you needed a part and did'nt have any money and I'd send it to you free of charge. But how does this fellow expect to restore a saw to A-1 condition with no money? I know it's just a few bucks and it's not going to break me to send him an oil cap for free, but I was taught to trust my instincts and I smell a rat. The guy has one feedback. What would you do?

Hi Matt..

I'm like you,,there just something that aint right about this..First of all,,,when my Dad passed away,,last thing I ever thought about was a saw or anything else....The time or was that the date?? 11-27 pm 2008...That sent up a red flag too...I'd keep the cap,,send him some condolences....With all the scam crap going on,,there might be more to this too...Never let your guard down!!
Ment to ask too....Hows the hand doing?? Heal up 100 now???? Good luck with this and take care...

I'd send him a stripped cap off something else (that almost fits). If he doesn't like it, tell him you'll give his money back......

Any one of you guys here could tell me you needed a part and did'nt have any money and I'd send it to you free of charge.

I almost forgot, I need an NOS 36" roller nose bar for my Super 770.... .....And I'm broke..... If you could "donate" the chain too, it would be appreciated..........

For what the cap is worth, it wouldn't be worth the time or aggravation dealing with this mess. Tell him to pony up the dough or it will be relisted.

This person started out in a dishonest way, and I suspect they will stay that way. Keep your cap.

Make sure you document everything so you don't get held hostage by eBay's new anti-seller rules...... this could end up badly, but I still would not send the cap for free. Just keep a paper trail to protect yourself.

Please to help out fellow american that not very well know english too good...

Sounds a bit fishy to me, unless the Buckeye accent is just throwing me...

If his father died and left him this saw why would he be in such a hurry to
restore it >hard working people dont ask for something for free .its not like
its food or heat its a saw he wants to restore let him save the money.
PRIORITY.

No different from begging on the street. You don't ask complete strangers for free stuff, especially considering he made a bid on your auction. I would report him to ebay.

Latest posts

Back