whats everyone burning right now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
still burning 2x scrap and uglies. they lasted longer than i expected.be bout a nother week for i have to start using real wood.

Same thing we burn 90% of the time, cottonwood. That's the only thing we have in abundance here. I have a stash of apple, walnut, mulberry and elm I'll use later in the winter for "overnighters".

We both work, so I start the fire about 4:30 in the afternoon and by 8:00 it will be 75 in the house. Our main heat is radiant hot water in the floor, but in our old drafty farmhouse it will be 65 in the house when I get home, and also in the morning.

This Sunday's high is forecast to be around 30, so I'll have a fire going all day and into the night. Might put a few chunks of apple on at bedtime.

My poor thinly insulated 2500 sq ft house with 11 ft ceilings i swear my workshop is warmer.I'm burning black oak,cherry,hickory barely 65 in my house with a old mid 80's ashley circulator its 45 outside :wink2:

You may want to watch you don't get a back draft on that.

One time back when I was a teenager my buddy and I were taking his car for a test drive. He was driving and said "this is going to be a good one" and grabbed his lighter and lifted his cheek. The reason we were taking the little Pontiac for a test drive was that he had replaced the fuel pump, and, not being a master mechanic, had gotten a lot of gasoline on his jeans.

Predictable results followed, including a big flash, near traffic accident, singed hair and Levi's, and a lot of laughter. It sure was a "good one"!

Oh, to the OP, Basswood with a little Hard Maple mixed in to get some ashes. Holding off on the majority of Maple and Cherry until it gets colder.

burning whatever comes up in the bag... this bag is mostly Ash and white oak. we finally got a cold night last night and again tonight. the previous few days we've been coasting on the heat pump.

A bit of red oak, walnut, silver maple, and some indeterminate white wood. Just building a bed of coals for the overnight low of around 40.

Whatever comes off the stack next. Don't sort it, just burn it. I have - Oak (all kinds), Pine, Ash, Elm, Cherry, Black Birch, Poplar, Maple and various other stuff that I don't even know what it is.

OWB been fired 24/7 since installation in December 2010. :rock: It doesn't seem to care what I feed it. 1x per day in this kind of weather, 2x per day in cold temps.

In Ireland for a few days visiting family, burning mostly Peat that was harvested this year by my brother and his kids.... tis a great product and only costs time and sweat:rock:

cottonwood and box elder out of the fence rows cut almost 10 cords of red oak and burr oak have used maybe 10 chunks of it on the cold nights

Red Maple by day.

Red Oak by night.

Tonight should be my first load up with nothing-but-oak.

The previous cold nights (mid-20s or a bit colder) I had some Yellow Birch that I've never before burnt and may never have another chance to get a load of...but that was has shot way up to the top of my firewood list. Nice smell, and great BTUs with decent coaling.

Today...looking..got some split poplar, split beech, small oak and sweetgum rounds (little stuff, one inch/two inch) and busted up an old twisted oak round into a new pile of uglies to throw on at night time. First time I was able to swing the fiskars in some weeks now, so it was fun. Didn't push it, but glad I can do it some again.

Crazy weather lately, up and down. :dizzy: The low will be around 30. I am currently burning dead, white oak.

Silver maple mixed with white oak and locust.

Got some locust in there now, about to go stock it up for the night. It's hovering right around freezing here...but has been pretty warm for the past handful of days.

Weird winter weather these past 2 winters....:msp_confused:

Last edited:
Back