whats everyone burning right now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Ireland for a few days visiting family, burning mostly Peat that was harvested this year by my brother and his kids.... tis a great product and only costs time and sweat:rock:

Time and sweat-same for me, aside from a bit of gas for the truck and saws. I've seen them harvesting peat on TV to burn over there, but never heard much more about it. I bet a lot of us on the forum (eehhemm, like me) would be interested to hear what your experience is like with burning that stuff compared to wood in a new thread???? How long does it last? What kind of ashes? How much heat does it produce? Is it a renewable or non-renewable type of thing? Sorry I am always curious....thanks.

Half punky elm, I've got about a week's worth left, then I'm switching over to "winter grade" oak and maple mix.

Time and sweat-same for me, aside from a bit of gas for the truck and saws. I've seen them harvesting peat on TV to burn over there, but never heard much more about it. I bet a lot of us on the forum (eehhemm, like me) would be interested to hear what your experience is like with burning that stuff compared to wood in a new thread???? How long does it last? What kind of ashes? How much heat does it produce? Is it a renewable or non-renewable type of thing? Sorry I am always curious....thanks.

Haha great, was wondering if it would spark up some interest, I will take some pics over the next few days and post up a thread soon....Will be back in Canada later next week...

It's 31 this morn, can't decide whether to rain or snow. Landing on my logging job is nasty mud:bang: Will probably just throw wood in stove, feed the birds and play in shop. Wood of the day is what ever comes up next, jack pine, tamarack or birch, love the birch. Great day to all Chris

Pine...free Pine nobody else around here wants.

Just finished burning some barkless poplar that was dropped into me about September.
Now burning silver maple, walnut and some norway maple.
1 big block of rock elm or noway maple block at night depending on the temp.

Not what i would call cold here yet though so really still in shoulder wood burning season.
On mildish days crappier stuff gets burnt :)

In you go, Take that you stinky box elder LOL

Last edited:
bubba3228,

Nice shag.

Sad sad that you have to burn it this time of year.
You will have to go box elder hunting next year, you get some sort of pleasure watching it burn :)

I always end up with a cord or two of crud wood well suited to a mildish fall from the year before so mild for me means it goes away.

I’ve been experimenting, trying to get longer heating times and less coal build-up. Using different mixes of/alternating between American Elm, Red Elm, White Ash and Bur Oak. I ain’t learnin’ much though, this weather has been all over the place… from 15[sup]o[/sup] overnight lows to daytime highs of 70[sup]o[/sup] and back again. We’ve even seen it warm-up overnight. Same weather pattern I was seeing last year… mild and way too dry.

bubba3228,

Nice shag.

You will have to go box elder hunting next year, you get some sort of pleasure watching it burn :)

I always end up with a cord or two of crud wood well suited to a mildish fall from the year before so mild for me means it goes away.

Yup, bucked and split some box elder last weekend for next fall, that stuff grows like weeds around here. That shag had been down for several years as you can see by the shrooms growing on it. Figure it was puncky but would make some quality shoulder wood, otherwise it would just stay bug candy.

Had a week of "warm" weather so we've been burning "shorties" just to keep the fire from going out, boiler hardly ticking over. In the past day or so it fell into the 20s overnight so I finally got a roaring fire going again. Had a firebox full of oak and ash, nice burn all night. Looks like it's time to start carting in the good stuff.

Anybody have any tricks for moving wood around INSIDE? I'm going into my basement with a wheelbarrow, which is a pain. I wish I could carry twice as much at a time. I've seen that sewer pipe trick, but around here that stuff sells for like $200/length and I don't have time to mess with it.

bubba3228,

Nice shag.

Lots of us probably have the same issue I do. Last year's lack of winter and the same so far this year has decimated the "shoulder wood" reserves. I've got a cord of pine stashed away for spring, and a couple cords of misc junk seasoning for next fall, but pretty much out otherwise.

Like it or not, it's on to the "good stuff" soon.

All of the incriminating documents.

Ha :msp_biggrin: But since you mention it, I've put my shredder to work. I used to recycle all of my shreds (I'm digitizing a lot of old business docs, don't need the paper anymore), but dealing with the bags was annoying. Turns out they make GREAT firestarters. Small pile of that under some small stuff and you're good-to-go.

bubba3228,

Ahh well punky hickory is some fine shoulder wood.
Much better than the bugs using it for sure. :)

Latest posts

Back