whats the best all around 40 to 50 cc saw for firewood and light weight,as backup saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demc570

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
ok,i getting something in next few days..want under 11 pounds and balance good..... ECHO 400 or 500p.......husky???????? 346?.........sthill has nothing close or do they??, i dont know any others in my area.....................i hate to beat a dead horse,but really trying to get the best option available.........so echo-sthil or husky??:popcorn:

I think the Stihl MS 260 pro/261/026pro would be in your ideal range of saw.
Just my opinion...

Something in the 40cc range is great. You can trim for days on end with one and a lot of them have more grunt than you think.

I love my little Ryobi's. They're very light and run great when muffler modded and tuned correctly. They're crap out of the box though. I think that's why there isn't many to be found anymore. People pry just threw them away. I know I almost did. I just picked up another one recently, so they're out there. I didn't dig too much into the Earthquake thread, so I can't comment on those.

IMG-20130127-00208.jpg

Oh, the little Dolmars are apparently good runners too. Theres a few threads on here about the PS420s. I always wanted to try one of them. I think they 'updated' it to a 421 now.

Efco 147 here are the specs.

Power/Displacement 3.1 HP/45 cc
Bar length 16" / 18"
Chain (pitch x gauge) .325"x.058"
Oil Pump automatic / adjustable
Oil/fuel tank capacity 9.1/16.9 fl.oz.
Weight 10.7 lb

I chose the 346xp. Since they're discontinued they're getting scarce so if you want a new one act now.

Stihl Saws

Well first of all I'd recommend a Stihl brand saw. Next I'd suggest either the MS 250 (45cc) or the MS 260 Pro (50cc).

I've owned both of these and cannot think of one complaint I'd make against either saw.

The MS 260 is a bigger brother of the MS 250 and of course the cost is just about another $200.00.

I've cut many a rick ( what we call a stack here) with the MS 250 and it was still running like a new one when I traded it off. Now I wish I'd kept it too.

Nosmo

435 husky 16 inch bar. I think it cuts just as good as my 257 husky and its real light.

Something in the 40cc range is great. You can trim for days on end with one and a lot of them have more grunt than you think.

I love my little Ryobi's. They're very light and run great when muffler modded and tuned correctly. They're crap out of the box though. I think that's why there isn't many to be found anymore. People pry just threw them away. I know I almost did. I just picked up another one recently, so they're out there. I didn't dig too much into the Earthquake thread, so I can't comment on those.

IMG-20130127-00208.jpg

i have this same saw love that little buger

I'll vouch for the 025/MS250. I cut 20+ cords last year with my old 025. It's about the same vintage as Tiewire's. I've hear a lot of good comments on the 026 (pro saw). If you want cheap get a Poulan 4620 (not the quick chain adjust model) or whatever they've replaced it with, a 50cc'r, I think.

i went with the Echo 500p myself and have been very happy with it over the past year. its got about 5-6 cords under its belt with some other random trimming duties. i am not a pro though just an active homeowner.

the saw runs great, i would love to try to open up the muffler and crank it up some but dont want to loose my 5 year warrenty.

Hi DEMC570
A MS460r at half throttle or a Ms660R at one third throttle. Just joshing you. Go with a MS260 or a MS261 yuo will not be disapointed.

Back