whats the best all around 40 to 50 cc saw for firewood and light weight,as backup saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something in the 40cc range is great. You can trim for days on end with one and a lot of them have more grunt than you think.

I love my little Ryobi's. They're very light and run great when muffler modded and tuned correctly. They're crap out of the box though. I think that's why there isn't many to be found anymore. People pry just threw them away. I know I almost did. I just picked up another one recently, so they're out there. I didn't dig too much into the Earthquake thread, so I can't comment on those.

IMG-20130127-00208.jpg

I believe that saw is powered by a Zenoa motor... When "liberated", they will run like a scalded dog...
The motor will still be running when the rest of the saw falls away...:rock:

I'll vouch for the 025/MS250. I cut 20+ cords last year with my old 025. It's about the same vintage as Tiewire's. I've hear a lot of good comments on the 026 (pro saw). If you want cheap get a Poulan 4620 (not the quick chain adjust model) or whatever they've replaced it with, a 50cc'r, I think.

That model is the PP5020AV.

edit: that is not under 11 lbs though..

The best smaller saw I have run is my poulan s25cva. That is under 11 lbs.

Last edited:
I have both the 346 and 260. 346 has more power...both nice saws. Buy the one you will have the best dealer support for in your area.

Echo

This year I also went with the Echo CS 500P and I have no complaints. I do many of the things you listed in the OP. Cutting firewood, lot clean up, etc. I have had no problems and would definitely recommend the saw to anyone looking for one. That being said, if I could have afforded a 550xp or larger saw, I may have gone with that instead.

this is my experience only, so by no means am i bashing husqvarna fans. i purchased a husq 336 (339xp's older version) brand new and i felt it was underpowered from day 1. they sell now for i think $500, and to me is way over priced. needless to say i favor stihl because husqvarna left a bad taste in my mouth. don't own any other brand chainsaw, but am very pleased with my echo weed eater.

i have run an 026 for firewood for years great saw nothing bad to say but i ran a friends 346 and im gonna sell my 026 and a parts saw for it and get the 346

I think I will throw in you can look for a used husky 350. Meet your criteria on weight and power and nimbleness. Less money than a pro saw on the market but more than enough saw for what you are looking for.

With that said, if you can stand a pound extra, theres a husky 357 in the auction/trading post right now. Thats a pro saw hotrod for a good price.

this is my experience only, so by no means am i bashing husqvarna fans. i purchased a husq 336 (339xp's older version) brand new and i felt it was underpowered from day 1. they sell now for i think $500, and to me is way over priced. needless to say i favor stihl because husqvarna left a bad taste in my mouth. don't own any other brand chainsaw, but am very pleased with my echo weed eater.

It depends on what the intended use is. The 336 is only 2hp the 339 is 2.4 the 346 is 3.7. 346 is a different class saw. I would not buy a 339xp for cutting firewood but will not be without one for carving. I have 2 339's a stihl ms200 rear handle and a ms192 rear handle they are awesome carving saws and great trim saws but they are specialty saws. When you buy one of these you are buying a specialty tool not a regular chainsaw, not just the $500 339xp but also the $700 Stihl ms 201. If you would have bought a ms 192 you would have a bad taste from stihl but I love mine it pulls my 8" detail bar great.

I don't care what brand it is I use whichever will work best for me.

Efco 147 here are the specs.

Power/Displacement 3.1 HP/45 cc
Bar length 16" / 18"
Chain (pitch x gauge) .325"x.058"
Oil Pump automatic / adjustable
Oil/fuel tank capacity 9.1/16.9 fl.oz.
Weight 10.7 lb

They don't get much love on this site but I've been very happy with my Efco for the two hundred bucks it cost.

Im suprised no one else says the 435 husky. Its 40.9 cc ,2.2 hp, And only weighs 9.33 lbs. Plenty of power to weight ratio. And they dont hurt the wallet.

I think I will throw in you can look for a used husky 350. Meet your criteria on weight and power and nimbleness. Less money than a pro saw on the market but more than enough saw for what you are looking for.

With that said, if you can stand a pound extra, theres a husky 357 in the auction/trading post right now. Thats a pro saw hotrod for a good price.

+1 on the husky 350. Great saw for the money. I've used mine hard for years

Another 346xp recommendation

The 346XP is great all around --it can cut an impressive amount of wood for a lightweight saw. I have an 18” bar on mine and find it is awesome for limbing, and enough power to hold its own bucking most of the wood we see.

now it seems the husky 346 and sthil 250 or 261.....................i dont know anything about huskys. are they as easy to work on than sthil,or more maintance? thanks:msp_thumbup:

FWIW, you own a Stihl that you're happy with, so stick with Stihl. You can work up a rapport with your dealer, find out how well he stocks any parts you might need, how good his service department is if you need it. That way you don't have to run all over town to maintain your equipment. Just my 2 cents. :)

FWIW, you own a Stihl that you're happy with, so stick with Stihl. You can work up a rapport with your dealer, find out how well he stocks any parts you might need, how good his service department is if you need it. That way you don't have to run all over town to maintain your equipment. Just my 2 cents. :)

as always great advice:msp_thumbup:

Husky 545

The Husky 545 is the little brother to the 550XP. Same weight, not an XP so .5 HP less and without Revboost, but it is an autotune. Bout $100 less than 550XP and about $40 less than a 346XP.

HP /wieght for the three are
550XP 3.75 HP/10.8 lbs max rpm 14K
346XP 3.4 HP/10.6 lbs Max rpm 14,700
545 3.3 HP/10.8 lbs max rpm N/A

Bought a nice MS260 on craigslist for $160 not too long ago. Just needed to fix the kill switch with took all of 10 minutes.

Latest posts

Back