What's the best stihl fire wood saw for the money

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the best stihl firewood saw

Votes: 32 28.8%

Votes: 29 26.1%

Votes: 12 10.8%

Votes: 9 8.1%

Votes: 29 26.1%

• Total voters
I'm just a dreamer when it comes to light weight high power saws. All my stuff is old but that's y I like it it's still cutting and to me that means quality. Whenever I switch the 028 to a super and do a mm that will be the closest I own to a new 261. Lol but I paid 85 dollars for a running all original 028.

i only saw the 241 mentioned in 1 post but for most of my cutting i use mine the most and bury the 16" bar a lot. the 026 with the 18 bar is next on the most used list.( bought another one last evening :rolleyes:) if needed the 036 with the 20" bar.

Isn't the brand sold as Efco made by what was Alpina? They have some pro models available in the US. They're cheaper than stihl out husky, but i have no idea what dealer support is like.
No Efco is the company name now also Emac they made saws branded Olympic, Oleo Mac, Vap, Blitz , & other badged saws they are now marketed under the Efco label as said Alpina still manufacture saws & other kit, Hedge trimmers ride on mowers, leaf blowers, under various badged names but it is more aimed at the home owner market, Iseem to remember Efco had problems with some US dealers Re not honoring warranty claims .

i bought the dolmar for 2 reasons other than I know how TUFF they are. they were cheaper, and my dealer loves them and every one and his dog has sthil if the sthil 261 was the same price or somewhat cheaper I would of bought it theres no doubt its the best firewood saw period, in my opinion, im playing with more power with my 5105 as that's what I own, by the way the 261 has 4.0 horsepower the dolmar 5105 is 3.9,, not much difference there, but the dolly is a lb heavier, I didn't plan to mod the dolly 5105,, a lot of us cut our firewood off the same property, and some of the guys started playing around with race cutting for fun, I kind of joined in and decided to do a few little tricks to mod it, before this year I never ever considered race cutting. ive tried my friends newer 261, it has the same power as the dolmar 51o5 but I saved money,,, but got a 1lb heavier saw.
If the Stihl is rated at 4HP & the power head weighs 10.8 lbs & your Dolmar has 3.9hp on tap for an extra 1lb in weight the bars & chains will likely cancel each other out weight wise I think it would be difficult to detect a lacking of 1/10 of a HP. If you are taking the race cutting path before doing any more than a MM,more so if it has a Cat C in there I would get someone who can produce race winning chains to do you a chain for your Dolmar & then see how it performs against the other saws Before the hassle of tearing it to pieces .Could I ask also if you are into porting/tuning as although not knowing you in the last 40 or more years being in commercial logging equipment servicing I have come across saws that performed not as well as in standard form being described as tuned just a thought as being a newish saw the market in my part of the world is greater for near standard /woods port saws But of course that is your decision to make The only comment I have is our 3 fallers drop an awful lot of timber with an overall choice of 10 bog standard saws. best of luck in your enterprises

'For the money' to me kind of means a bigger emphasis on lower cost. Which then makes me think of 'non-pro' saws. IMO the 271 is pretty good bang for the buck.

Have to also factor in though what you're cutting (how big a saw you need).

I tried to list some legendary stihl saws in the pole because they are cheaper and still used today for a lot of cutting. Probably not by tree companies or fire wood sales people but by people like who cut wood for supplemental heat.

But those saws don't have to answer the question.

Can't believe you all ran with this one.
While we're on the subject. What the best motor oil to run in my truck? Conventional or synthetic?
Just kidding.

Me too, I asked at Superior Saw and they had no idea when it would arrive...Not that I could afford it :envy:

BR,

~TW

Brian wasn’t aware that it had been debuted in Europe. Said he would be surprised to see it come here in its current form. I believe they tried to release an mtronic 460 but the system didn’t function well for fire departments.

I did tell Brian I want one when/if he gets them.

Sent from a field

In my case, the best firewood saw that I own is the Husky 353 that I bought used for $220. It kicks out more power than a Stihl 026 PRO, weighs less than a Stihl 028, and gets better fuel economy than either one. I could have spent $650 for a Stihl MS261, but I decided to spend $430 less for the Husky 353 -- one of my better decisions.

My Makita 520i is probably the closest to the Husky 353, but it occasionally poops oil when resting. The Husky 353 has it all together.

On the other hand, the Husky 353 is a little short on power for big logs, so that's when I reach for either my Stihl MS 361 or Husky 257 to buck them up and noodle cut. I rate these two about dead even for heavy work and I tend to acquire a lot of that. For super heavy work, I have the Stihl 046 Mag, a 660 Mag, and a Makita 6401. So, I fear there is no one best saw that can do it all.

In my case, the best firewood saw that I own is the Husky 353 that I bought used for $220. It kicks out more power than a Stihl 026 PRO, weighs less than a Stihl 028, and gets better fuel economy than either one. I could have spent $650 for a Stihl MS261, but I decided to spend $430 less for the Husky 353 -- one of my better decisions.

My Makita 520i is probably the closest to the Husky 353, but it occasionally poops oil when resting. The Husky 353 has it all together.

On the other hand, the Husky 353 is a little short on power for big logs, so that's when I reach for either my Stihl MS 361 or Husky 257 to buck them up and noodle cut. I rate these two about dead even for heavy work and I tend to acquire a lot of that. For super heavy work, I have the Stihl 046 Mag, a 660 Mag, and a Makita 6401. So, I fear there is no one best saw that can do it all.[/QUOT I cut 24in logs all the time,, with 1 saw,, dolmar 5105 {about 4 hp} MY PARTNER HAS a dolmar 6100 but don't need it even for maple, 1 saw $547 cdn$, about 425$ us im using a 18 in bar now 325 chain as sometimes we have little contests on Saturday after cutting a cord or so of firewood for firewood of all sizes,, its all I need, I really really hate heavy saws especially if I don't need to use one, is the sthil ms261 really $650.00 us dollars?? as the dealer here quoted me $650 cdn if I didn't take the hat, and carry case, which would be $500 us appx,for a new 2017 sthil ms 261,

I cut 24in logs all the time, with 1 saw, dolmar 5105 {about 4 hp} MY PARTNER HAS a dolmar 6100 but don't need it even for maple, 1 saw $547 cdn$, about 425$ us im using a 18 in bar now 325 chain as sometimes we have little contests on Saturday after cutting a cord or so of firewood for firewood of all sizes,, its all I need, I really really hate heavy saws especially if I don't need to use one, is the sthil ms261 really $650.00 us dollars?? as the dealer here quoted me $650 cdn if I didn't take the hat, and carry case, which would be $500 us appx,for a new 2017 sthil ms 261
A Stihl MS261 runs about $650 here with sales tax, bar, and chain. Sale prices might be lower. I've heard they could be dropping price a little for the holidays. Unfortunately, I frequently need the bigger saws with longer bars. Hardwood trees grow big in these parts and I have to do noodle cutting all the time just to lift the half or quarter rounds onto a trailer or tailgate.

I would hang on to the saw that you have. Dolmar makes good equipment. My 6401 with a BBK and my 520i are both keepers.

A Stihl MS261 runs about $650 here with sales tax, bar, and chain. Sale prices might be lower. I've heard they could be dropping price a little for the holidays. Unfortunately, I frequently need the bigger saws with longer bars. Hardwood trees grow big in these parts and I have to do noodle cutting all the time just to lift the half or quarter rounds onto a trailer or tailgate.

I would hang on to the saw that you have. Dolmar makes good equipment. My 6401 with a BBK and my 520i are both keepers.

in bc the maple and birch are not to big really the pro loggers here cut the big douglas fir,, ive seen douglas fir 8 feet thick on Vancouver island I guess the Qween charlotte iSLANDS have even bigger trees, and those fallers use the big saws with real big bars mostly big sthils and huskys,, man what skills a pro faller must have to drop a 8 foot thick at the butt douglas fir. and they have to land it in the right spot to, one of the reasons i bought my dolmar 5105, besides being cheaper and tuff, is that here in our part of bc called the kootenays is everyone and his dog here has the 261, I know,, i know,, how good they are but I had a chance to get a real dolmar { 1 of the very last according to our dealer,} b- 4 the makitas came, 1st the blue ones now there red, theres an interesting video on u tube,,, where a chainsaw mechanic takes apart a new sthil ms362, and a Makita 6100, and examines each part side by side and the Makita parts look like they flow more air and things like that he comes to the conclusion that the Makita engineering is superior and explains why he thinks that way very interesting video happy sawing

Dolmar never seems to skimp on quality, but the OP wanted advice on a Stihl saw. Assuming he has a tight budget, it's hard to beat a good running Stihl 026 PRO that has bee taken care of. Usually these are around for about $250 or less than half the price of a new one. The 026 PRO is light and has good power for cutting firewood. I would avoid the odd-numbered clam shell series (025, 029, etc.), but that's my preference after having worked on so many of them.

If a larger Stihl is required, the 034 and the 036 are out there as well. Occasionally, the true diamond in the rough is the MS 361, but to find one of those in good shape for under $400 is difficult. Those are about half the price of a new MS 362. They weigh about the same as the much older 028 Supers and have more grunt: Here's mine when new in early 2007:
StihlMS3613.JPG
I have about 400 hours on this saw and it still runs like the day I bought it.

On a side note I was looking on eBay as I often do and saw a dolmar 120 looked up the specs and is it true 68 cc and 8 hp? That's a lot of saw.
my brother in law is has a ms 250 sthil and he cuts 5 cords a year I tried it 1 day and was very surprised at the little bastards jam, he runs the snot out of it and has no plans to go bigger but when I hear him cutting sometimes I can hear the ms 250 straining but man its a tuff saw

I have a few 40ish cc saws. The 250 seems to be used by a lot but it just doenst do it for me. My 028 will out cut a 250. I have a modified 42cc craftsman that is pretty mean and the old poulan pro works well too. But out of all those the 028 has a lot more power. The 028 inst a clamshell like the 250.

But like i said the 250 is a respected saw.

Back