Whats this pile worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guswhit

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Haven't had any experience trying to guesstimate wood laying in a pile. Any ideas on quantity here? Most logs are 16' long or better and range from 10" diameter to 26". I'd say the pile is 6' tall in the center and stretches around 30' but is not piled 6' high through out. I did a quick count of logs and there is at least 70.
20140410_114308.jpg 20140410_114312.jpg 20140410_114330.jpg 20140410_114334.jpg

Is it yours, or are you thinking of buying it?
Clown owes me some cash and this looks like the only way I'm going to see it in the near future. I was trying to calculate how much time I'd have harvesting, limbing and transporting these home before I would credit him. I have not had any experience in loads this large. It is 50% cherry, 25% oak and 25% walnut that was cut last September.

What does he owe you? I wouldn't credit him very much if you have to haul, cut, split, and stack all that. What is the price of wood selling for in your area? Not much down here. I would give him $200 credit max if that is 8-10 cord...in my mind that would be doing him a favor as you can probably get wood for free. I have never paid to cut wood. I am a scrounger; I don't have any wood to cut of my own. The more I type the more I think $200 is too much but I am feeling generous today; and, I suppose it is worth something for him to cut, limb, and stack it all in one spot for you.

Yes, $200 max and make him load it for you or even better deliver it.

Not to be a smart-azz, but what's it worth to you?
If it's the only way you're getting money back from someone who owes you, it's better than nothing. But if you have 'easier' wood available to spend your time on it might be worth, well, nothing. Piles like that aren't 'easy' wood by any means, even when they're in your own yard. JMHO.

Well, I just have to sit down and put a number to what I think it would take me to cut, skid and haul those home. I mean really if you think there is only 8 cord there and that's say $300/cord=$2,400.00 and say 30% of the work is completed for me, but do I really think I should forgive $800.00 worth? I just have to think on it some more.
Another plus side, Its all on a concrete deck and can stay there as I need it, only about 4 miles from my equipment storage. Keep all the thoughts coming please.

Just as a reference, up here you could have 10 cord of tree length logs delivered to your house for around $800. Of course that varies state to state, but I think you get the idea. Green firewood, cut and split, goes for $170 a cord here, delivered. Again, each state is different I'm sure.

Not to be a smart-azz, but what's it worth to you?
If it's the only way you're getting money back from someone who owes you, it's better than nothing. But if you have 'easier' wood available to spend your time on it might be worth, well, nothing. Piles like that aren't 'easy' wood by any means, even when they're in your own yard. JMHO.
I hear you. That pile would be worthless to me with my equipment. I need straight logs in my yard. Trucking around here is 125 per hour for a grapple truck.

If this has been a good friend/neighbor in the past & you wish to keep it that way, be fair. With all the bends & gaps, to expect to end up with around 8-9 cords sounds reasonable. Walnut to many is not a choice firewood but to some they are happy with it. 4 miles is not bad for hauling provided you have a way to load the logs & haul them.

If he loads & hauls it for you I would say $350-400.

If you have to haul it & you will have to buck it as you go, $200-250.

If you have the means to load it & haul it in log form, $250-300.

As previously mentioned, I would move it all at one time if possible. "Good fences make good neighbors" Buy & take immediate possession is the same principle. You don't have to worry about the pile shrinking & it will be out of the seller's way. This will help prevent questions/conflicts later on.

How much does he owe you? If your cut, load, move, unload deduct 40% If he is loading moving and unloading I would call it even. My reason is this your time fuel wear and tear is worth something and if your "beating" him for $800 I really don't know if its worth the effort for all of this, of coarse it depends on how much equipment you have too, then add in moving equipment twice, once to job site then home. to many unknowns to give an honsest answer.

I always count my logs and usually my log loads are about 32-36 logs about 15-25 feet long and that yields about 8-9 cords.

I always count my logs and usually my log loads are about 32-36 logs about 15-25 feet long and that yields about 8-9 cords.
Thanks for this info, I was curious as to how many logs came on a trailer. I think this would easily fill the grapple trucks I have seen around here. If you can get the loggers to bring you a firewood load they get around $600.00-$800.00 I've heard for a mixed load, But this is brought to your location. I'm not worried about the wood pile "shrinking" if I leave it there, as he doesn't burn wood and it is hidden from any view of the road or even pulling into his property. This pile was a byproduct of his other job he had to remove, and I know he was paid to haul it away.

Honestly, if he was paid to take it and now it's just in his way, I'd knock $200 off his bill. If he will drop them off at your place, $300. If he will help you cut, split, and stack at your place, $400.

Back