What's your favorite knot and what do you use it for?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bowline,running bowline,timberhitch,blakes hitch,double fisherman=prusic and not forgetting the figure of eight stop.

favorite knot

my favorite knot is the splice

don't have a favorite knot, just know a few knots really well!

The Bowline is the king of knots for a reason.-Use it all the time-mostly as a choked running bowline for securing tag lines and lowering lines to the tree or piece beig cut.

Favorite friction hitch is a V.T.

Girth hitch/cow hitch is a must have at times. Sling a limb Hang a block. send up a pole saw.....

Timberhitch is great for slinging a porty or a limb.

How does anyone live without a clove hitch somewhere?

Round turn and 2 half hitches holds the world together whenever there is a a shortage of baling wire and duct tape.

A truckers hitch is needed for tiedowns.

The Buntline hitch is my lifeline to 'biner termination-My life rides on it on every climb.

I long used the Carrick bend for joining ropes but Hunters bend or the Zeppelin bend are actually probably better.

The Double Fisherman's knot is a strong bend for joining line ends but it is a pain to untie after loading....but I like it's relative the Scaffold knot for tying my tress cords to their 'biner.

Send up a line with a Sheet bend.

One I use often, I think is called a monkey fist. Anyway, it's where you coil up the end of a rope and tie it together to throw over a limb.

Another must know is the Clock Hitch, to replace the Timber, Girth, and Cow hitches.

One I use often, I think is called a monkey fist. Anyway, it's where you coil up the end of a rope and tie it together to throw over a limb.

that what I call it as well. Monkey fist. Does yours stay tied together? Mine I basically wrap it tight so once its over the limb gravity allows it to spin/unravel and drop down to my level.

I've heard them called loose and locked monley fists. I use both, depending on the crothc I'm tossing through.

Ads for the knot i use the most, that would be the fhisermans/double overhand/scaffold/noose. I rig with it, tie my climb line off with it, and as noted above, use it on my tress-cord for the VT. I love how it falls apart so easily once the carabiner is out.

I just want to filter down the large number of 'very useful absolute must-have' knots in Beranek's and Jepsom's books to a few of people's favorites. My personal favorite has got to be the Blakes, but I don't have much experience in a whole load the different knots.

For example, there are many ways to tie-off a rop to your screw link for life support. Which one(s) do you use and do you back them up with any other knots.

Cheers!

Dean

I use triple auto locking biners or locking rope snaps. I was under the impression that screw links were a no-no for life support. Appreciate the info for myself if someone can churp up on it.
Tks
Tom

It depends on the screw link. They'll probably all hold you, but it's good practice to put your life on hardware that is rated. The screw links called 'Maillon Rapide' come in all different shapes and the strength rating is engraved into the metal. I will use these where they do not get taken on and off as they are slow and often require a tool.

MM said:
I clip 2 or 3 biners onto an eye termination. It's very fast and nice to have the weight on the rope's end once it's over the limb, flick, flick, flick and it's down. Gotta watch it coming back down at you if you miss on the throw, much as you would a shot bag.

I don't use knots much. Anchor hitch for tying a mini biner onto the zing-it line. Choker / girth hitch, occasional cow hitch. I know most of the knots listed, but don't use them. This may sound funny, or even impossible, but I have never used a bowline. Sure I can tie one, but with eye terminations and steel biners, speed, efficiency and security dominate my choices aloft.

Zeppelin bend for tieing two ropes together and farmers loop for midline knot for come along and of course mashard for friction knot these are three i use alot that i didnt see on the list.

Without a doubt I use the clove hitch more often than any other knot except for the bow on my boots... it's my general purpose, fast hitch.

Bowline is next... the whole bowline family (check out the sheet bend, it's a type of bowline). If I need a tie-in I like a figure 8, it's just what I learned.

Friction knot is a Distel, I haven't tried anything else yet, Timber hitch for tying off blocks. Trucker's hitch for tying stuff to car tops. I use half hitches a lot too but not very often in trees.

I gotta learn to splice.

HOLY SMOKES!!! IS THE WORLD COMING TO AN END? TREESEER AND CLEARANCE AGREEING ABOUT SOMETHING PERTAINING TO TREE WORK?:D
This should be no surprise. Clearance and I have agreed on a lot, and disagreed on only one thing that i can think of.

Arborists windfirming in the bush have a lot in common with arborists practicing PHC in town. The goals and standards of one do not apply to the other, but much of the mindset and methodology can.:cheers:

OK I'm gonna go out and hug a tree now. :)

I clip 2 or 3 biners onto an eye termination. It's very fast and nice to have the weight on the rope's end once it's over the limb, flick, flick, flick and it's down. Gotta watch it coming back down at you if you miss on the throw, much as you would a shot bag.

Hope you dont use your alloy climbing biners to do this TM! I would recommend the throw bag, less chance of getting stuck too.

I use one of the many different forms of the VT and an eye spice/fishermans knot. Fishermans because it binds on the carabiner and it pulls undone when stuck in a tight branch crotch or what ever.

Latest posts

Back