What's your favorite knot and what do you use it for?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fishermans because it binds on the carabiner and it pulls undone when stuck in a tight branch crotch or what ever.
What do you mean? I was thinking of using a splice on my lanyard rope snap because the stupid knot I'm using now always gets stuck in crotches.
The only reason I don't use a splice now is that it is a fair amount of work to tie a splice and I eat up my lanyards pretty fast.

Of course the knot only comes undone with nothing to bind up against, so i was thinking in terms of a rope throw with the climbing knot still tied, for those not climbing on eye splices anyway.

Hey Mike what knot do you use on your lanyard? I find its crucial to have the knot on your lanyard tight against the carabiner so its always in the same position, not flailing around all over the show like in a steel flipline eye.

A splice in your lanyard wont stop it getting stuck because if the knot/splice doesn't get stuck the carabiner will. A lot of people do splice their lanyard but im with you, the rope wares out to fast to make it worth it.

On a daily basis i use mainly the simple knots / hitches. I use the clove hitch for tying things on to the line and tying off to the truck where necessary (ladders etc) To climb I use things that untie easy. taught-line even blakes bite up too much for me. I'm 6'2" and weigh 260 lbs so anything that binds up sucks as soon as i sit on it. Bunt line hitch to anchor on a beener. And a distal hitch to climb off.
Look I was wondering if any one has any better line to tie friction hitches with than Tenex i seem to see it glazes and burns out fast. or if I climb off velocity what should be limitations or features, specs on the lines I look for to use as tails.

hay buddy

On a daily basis i use mainly the simple knots / hitches. I use the clove hitch for tying things on to the line and tying off to the truck where necessary (ladders etc) To climb I use things that untie easy. taught-line even blakes bite up too much for me. I'm 6'2" and weigh 260 lbs so anything that binds up sucks as soon as i sit on it. Bunt line hitch to anchor on a beener. And a distal hitch to climb off.
Look I was wondering if any one has any better line to tie friction hitches with than Tenex i seem to see it glazes and burns out fast. or if I climb off velocity what should be limitations or features, specs on the lines I look for to use as tails.
tenex is great 4 other things and i use the stuff all the time but 4 your lifeline im going 2 save u the trouble of toying with different cords because ive tried them all. i use the same setup as u distel/velocity. forget about 3/8-10mil go 4 the gold with 8mm. utec cord is ok. b-line is better but the best so far and cheaper than others is by a long shot is 5/16-8mm technora prusik cord. with its kernamantle construction it holds up a lot longer than others. sounds strange but true. im comparing 2 others like hrc,ultra tech,b-line,and last on the list tenex. so go 4 it dont hesitate.:rockn: my favorit knot is the french bowline on a big bight:jawdrop: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks bro. I will check it out as soon as I can get my hands on it. 8mm prusick cord with kermantile construction right. thats what to ask for. I just learned the sweybish(how ever it is) on the tennex and have continued on it. it just seems like i could easily go through a bunch in a few months.:cheers:

Thanks bro. I will check it out as soon as I can get my hands on it. 8mm prusick cord with kermantile construction right. thats what to ask for. I just learned the sweybish(how ever it is) on the tennex and have continued on it. it just seems like i could easily go through a bunch in a few months.:cheers:

its called 5/16 technora kernamantle prusik cord. wesspur sells it.
the phone# is 1-800-268-2141 the part# is T516

sherrill also sells it but only in pre tied lenths of 12ft the # is 1-800-525-8873
the part # is 38883

i get it from wesspur because its cheaper an sells by the foot 99cents per ft.
sherrill wants $17 4 12ft and is pre tied and sold as a method 4 secure foot lock using a double fishermans knot.

triple double half hitch. Ties to the truck, easy to untie. And tautline, running bowline.

yo WLL

its called 5/16 technora kernamantle prusik cord. wesspur sells it.
the phone# is 1-800-268-2141 the part# is T516

sherrill also sells it but only in pre tied lenths of 12ft the # is 1-800-525-8873
the part # is 38883

i get it from wesspur because its cheaper an sells by the foot 99cents per ft.
sherrill wants $17 4 12ft and is pre tied and sold as a method 4 secure foot lock using a double fishermans knot.

So i picked up some new cords today. Have you heard of any by Samson? I picked up Prussick Cord a non heat resistant cord to back up the ascender. I also got 2 others which i am not too sure of the others. One was I believe called Burn out and the other Ice tail Ice tail seems to be a more heat resistant version of the Tenex 5/16 style. The burn out which I am pumped about is extremely heat resistant Km style 7.5 mm cord. I am going to try them out next week. tanks for the help bro I need a bit of reassurance, these things get thinner and thinner and freak me out a bit. By the by .97 2.47 1.50 per foot respectably at the local supplier

So i picked up some new cords today. Have you heard of any by Samson? I picked up Prussick Cord a non heat resistant cord to back up the ascender. I also got 2 others which i am not too sure of the others. One was I believe called Burn out and the other Ice tail Ice tail seems to be a more heat resistant version of the Tenex 5/16 style. The burn out which I am pumped about is extremely heat resistant Km style 7.5 mm cord. I am going to try them out next week. tanks for the help bro I need a bit of reassurance, these things get thinner and thinner and freak me out a bit. By the by .97 2.47 1.50 per foot respectably at the local supplier

the biggest problem i have with the small cord is they tend 2 get sucked up in the micro pulley. i use2 use the 5mmtech cord 4 my lanyard but it binds up and gets sucked up in the pulley. the other problem is that the small stuff makes a small hitch and i burn my fingers or suck up my atlas gloves. i do want 2 find out about the other cords u just got( ice and burnout) let me know

knots

My most used; taught line hitch , running bowline,
stationary bowline, cow hitch, timber hitch, sheet bend, clove hitch
bowline on the bight, square knot, figure eight. I have used
the draggin bowline and two man sheet bend

Latest posts

Back