whats your favorite two saw setup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For any trees I've encountered in this part of the NE, Dolmar PS-6100 with option of 20"/24" bars and semi-chisel full-comp for felling & bucking. RedMax GZ-4000 w/18" 3/8" LP for limbing- light, nimble, powerful- long runtime per tankful. PP5020 with 16" & 20" comes along as backup, and for some exercise. This list is from the saws in my lil stable. No reason I can't bring more in the p/u, eh?

Were I shopping, a Dolmar PS-421 and Echo PS-6000 would also be on the short list of candidates. They are the real deal, too.

Never been a fanboy of any mfg., and don't own stock in any of them. Just like tools that work and don't require a mortgage.

Seems my favourite 2 saw combo changes weekly. Running both the 555/562 have kind of dropped the requirement for a 50cc and 70cc saw lately. I love the 555, the 562, well at times it has a bit more but still find it bulky as hell, and the 560 would have been ideal (low top of course). If and whenever my 543 wakes up, most likely it will be the 543 and 562 small mount.

As stated earlier depends on the task at hand, but normally my mm 550xp and wicked work saw 2260 gets ur done.

I have an MS391 with both an 18 and (never used) 25" bar, and a newer Homelite 42cc with a 14" bar. Swinging that 391 around for limbing gets old quick...but trying to cut rounds sucks with the Homelite.

The only reason I bought the Homelite over a small Stihl is that it was "new" and cost only $80. Maybe I'll see what those green Poulans are all about...that's all my grandfather uses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

I have Three:
Small: Stihl 026 Pro
Medium: Stihl MS 361
Large: Stihl MS 660 or Makita 6401 with BBK

I could probably throw all the rest away, but you need a backup. My 028 AV backs up the 026 Pro, my 036 Super backs up the 361, and my Stihl 046 backs up the rest. Now, why did I collect all the rest? Variety is the spice of life.

We have a lot of saws to chose from. We usually take one of the 50CC saws to limb with and cut up to 12" or so wood. We have 346 and 550 Huskys, 261 Stihl and a 446 Shindaiwa and to tell you the truth I dont have a favorite, I like them all. The Shindys dont get any press here but in the woods they get'er done. When we get to wood big enough that the 50s are getting boring to operate we break out large irons to finish up, either the 660 Stihl or 757 Shindy, again I really dont have a favorite as log as a 25" bar is getting it done. With longer bars, deeper cuts or extremely tough wood the 660 displacement advantage over the 757 speaks loudly and gets the nod. If I could come up with a reason to own more large displacement saws a 7900 or 372/390 could easily get the nod also.

I used to be one of those 60CC do-all saw guys until I was shown the light here on the site, now they are in what I call no man's land. Not as nimble as a quality 50 CC and no match for 70 plus in big wood. We still own some 60CC saws but they dont see much serious use any more. Also there is little weight savings to saws under 50CC, just power loss so they get little attention either.

So to me the perfect two saw plan is a "pro" quality 50CC saw from any one of several quality makers. Then jump to 70CC plus,, how big depends on what you cut and how big it is. Buy many of each and spend the rest of your life deciding,:)

I can't have just 2 cause there's times I have both saws pinched in a top so I never leave the shop without my 021,044,460,394xp and waiting to get my 020 in the mail and I always have room in the truck for more

For me right now it would be my Craftsman 2.3 wearing a 14'' and my Huztl ms361 clone with a 20''. Perfect combo, and quite frankly the 361 more than enough for just about anything I touch. I would be tempted to trade in the 361 for a 440 with a wrap kit, but I also think it would get to be pretty heavy.

This thread is so old I had to go back and make sure I didn't change my mind. Echo 305 with 14" bar for limbing, and Stihl 660 with 25" bar for real wood. Maybe one of the old Homelites just to remind me of what real men had to use 40-50 years ago, Joe.

Latest posts

Back