whats your favorite two saw setup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a Dolmar PS-510 and a Dolmar PS 6100 for several years and considered it a great pair. Then I got an unlikely chance to spend some quality time in the bucket extended above my Church steeple, and tried a PS 421. Now I'm torn, as faithful as my 510 has always been, I feel I owe it some serious respect, but in fact, I could easily live with the 421 and 6100 as my two saw combo. I guess I'm lucky to have enough shelf space to keep the 510.

P1070706.JPG

I'd have to pick my 550xp,

standard.jpg

and my 2260,

standard.jpg

I really like both of these saws!

SR

The 346 always comes along...it's my favorite saw to run. Depending on how big of trees I'm after I'll bring either the 372 or 390. I love how the ported 390 tears through big logs but there's just something about a 372 that I love. Lately I've been running one with an 18" bar and I really like that setup for cutting firewood. I usually run a 24" on the big saws though...I do have a 36" skip for the bigguns.

20160821_140512.jpg

Depends.
If I'm cutting in the woods, a small tooth 021 and 357 with 18" bar. If I'm cutting on the log deck, the 357, or now a 661 w/25" bar.

357 was my go to saw for seven years. It was down most of last year, and after the first several weeks, I needed a saw to use... and switched back to Stihl. I bought and ran the 661 all year, with the 357 in and out of shops and on the shelf since mid June.

It is on the shelf now, supposedly fixed, leaking bar oil all over, which it never did before. I took it back for that because you can't set it anywhere without making a mess. Everywhere I set it down, sticky, tacky, bar oil. On the SS table, on the bench, on the floor, in the van, riding home from the shop. Replaced a flippy breather thing in the oiler, but still leaks pools of oil. Not impressed. Not positively anyway. Still leaking...

We'll see...The "good saw for seven years" might be the end of story. I don't need useless junk sitting on the shelf. I don't have many shelves... for a reason. We'll see... if it's still there, or not, this June.

Is the 661 heavy? Not if it's sharp. :drinkingcoffee:

Latest posts

Back