What's Your Length???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
originally I cut to 20" because that is what the stove can take EW now I'm recutting them for NS to 16" its a bit of a pain but I get to run my saws more.

8" or less, that's about all the warm morning stove will handle.

Help cut for a buddy sometimes, and he complains about me cutting it too short. Get in a rhythm when bucking and is kinda hard to remember to cut it longer.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Ask the Customer

Conclusion from this thread:
There is no ideal length. The ideal log length is what the customer wants. My experience has been that 18" causes the least amount of problems if the customer cannot specify a length and it allows me to pack my truck like a sardine can.

I cut to 24", tip of bar to a mark on the saw. I usually eyeball them as have been doing this for a while . Every now and then I check them with the mark on the saw. If I am cutting for someone else at 16 or 18" I know where that is on the bar and gauge a few of the first cuts then get it in the old brain and eyeball them. Works for me. Not always perfect and I may be off as much as an inch or so on a few but overall they are pretty consistent. I am not building a house with them and never thought my stacks where meant to win any beauty contests. Come next winter they will all be up in smoke:) If I am cutting for someone else and they tell me their stove can take an 18" piece, I make sure they are all 18 or under. I would rather be a little short than too long on somebody else' wood.

We load our VC through the top. 16" is what fits easily without burning your knuckles.

16" with a tap and cut. Dad's stove takes 16" and no more, I can use 22-24". So long ends, and a few small stacks at 20-22" get cut so I have that longer wood for very cold nights or 24 hour loads.

I cut everything in the 22"~24" range. It stacks good in the truck. It stacks good on the ground. It fits well in my furnace. If it's a little warmer out, I just cut them in half before I haul them up to the house.

As far as how I measure, I use my bar. I run 18" bars on most of the saws, and I know how far back on the clutch cover I have to go to get 24". On the bigger bars, I know where 24" falls on the bar.

My stove will take 72inchs but I cut it about 24inchs and make two stacks in the stove. I allso burn pallet shop rejects that are 48inches. I dont think my stove was a great ideal being so long but i got it used cheap.

My stove will take 72inchs but I cut it about 24inchs and make two stacks in the stove. I allso burn pallet shop rejects that are 48inches. I dont think my stove was a great ideal being so long but i got it used cheap.

Your stove burns a log that is six feet long? If so, how large in diameter will it swallow? 4", 8", 12", 16", etc.

I'd like to meet LogZilla. My bucking and splitting ventures would likely cease. :msp_wink:

Any Pics of this thing? I doubt it is that common. Any sales stats to back up that statement? GMAB.

It's a long wood, man they are everywhere. Wasn't you from Bloomington? What kind of a doctor are you? Hahahaha. There is already pictures of the LongWood on the internet. Be realistic, though, you aren't gonna cram no 16 incher in there because of the crook.

I am not doing a Google search on "long wood"!

I don't pay much attention since we got the smaller stove, as long as it's less than 21". Shorter pieces get stacked for the small stove. Lately I tend to cut based on the wood, looking for branches and such and trying to cut just before the crotch/knot to get the longest straight round. Then the short crotches/knots get noodled to be tossed in the little stove.

Yes I have a long wood. It has a very small fire boxes but will take a long stick of wood. The fire box is not much biger than the door. You have to becarefull loading wood becauce you have to plan out how you are going to load it. I have never seen a stove were the box wasnt biger than the door most people use 16'' wood and make 2 stacks.My dad has one in his shop and it works good were you dont have to load it to last and never worry about a log being to long. The place that built them is less than 15 miles from me but they stoped building them years ago. If the box was 3" deeper it would be a great stove.

Latest posts

Back