When, if ever, are the 590xp and 595xp saws coming out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once ended up with a 385xp that had a spun bearing...

If the inboard clutch is to blame, I wonder why 372s wouldn't have this same problem? I know of fallers running 32-36" bars on 372s, and husky only recommends a maximum 28" bar on a 390xp? Seems weird to me.

This bearing problem with the 390 must be isolated to a few users. None of the long time Husqvarna dealers around here have ever heard of such a thing.
Don't the balls have to freeze up before the track will spin? As if the track has less friction than the actual bearings to allow easier spinning. I don't want to argue, but I find it very hard to believe.

you might want to look at this document from timken:

http://www.timken.com/en-us/product...Analysis-with-Lubrication-Reference-Guide.pdf

or better yet, do a gogle search using the string:

"ball bearing failure"

i've observed bearing failure, ball, roller, tapered and of course babbit, that take out the shaft. it's pretty common even at rpms below 100. and as someone else mentioned you can find spun outer races too. westcoaster probably asks more of his 390's that husky ever offered to give but that's the way it works. i don't think bar length has anything to do with it. an over tight chain could cause overheating and failure but that's unlikely here. i do try to avoid inboard clutches, but i'd be confident buying a new 390 today and if it didn't get run over by the truck, it would out last me (which at this point isn't saying much.) i'm rebuilding a 575 at present. i had to buy a crank shaft because the pto and flywheel side bearings had failed and races had spun damaging the crank and one case half. this doesn't look like an instance of the fabled bad bearings in early 575's, but rather someone using chipper gas in his saw. the piston and cylinder are ruined too.

If you want to wade through the terminology and the language translation issues, the info you're looking for is in the attached Master's Thesis doc. It's really about the use of computer modeling to show how the fuel/air flows through an engine, but it happens to be based on the 570/575/576 series of engine. Towards the end (Section 3) there is a series of graphics showing air and fuel location in the ports by crank angle. The "passive scalar" refers to the air with fuel in it, or maybe the boundary between fuel and plain air.

i'll take a look at the pdf. i've got my first 575 about 5 years ago and had to bring it back to life. i've spent may hours meditating on the dang piston but i think i need a guru to explain it to me. there are even two holes in it that open the piston inside the skirts to the case volume at some point. i don't think a 372 is in the same league tchnologically. though i may be wrong, it's just a big poulan as far as i can see. in fact it doesn't even have separate fresh air channels. must be a lot cheaper to build.

i may need to run to the store for a six of ipa and some aspirin before i tackle this.

I really don't think that's the problem. Look at all the Stihl saws with inboard clutches, including the MS880.

Regardless if it is the problem, an inboard clutch design no doubt is harder on the crank and PTO side bearing than an outboard, as any force on the drive sprocket will have more "arm" to work with.

It hardly is a coincidence that the three Husky models that were known for initial PTO side bearing issues were the same three that that were the first model in a "family" of inboard clutch models (371xp, 385xp and 575xp).

Westcoaster, 3questions. what length bar is being run on these 390s? lgx or jgx chain? Also what mix ratio of gussolene? I personally believe octane has a thing or 2 to do with heat.

Remember, I'm just a firewood hack not a feller. Course lately I'm dropping big dead white ash all over the county.:chainsaw:

i run 36" .063 square ground CJX. butter smooth so i doubt it puts anymore stress on bearings then a 24" with a round chain. mine are ported but the other ones i know of only have a muffler mod. i run 91 at home but companies run the cheapest ethanol laced **** i'm sure.

Hey westcoaster, aside from asking about what bar length you usually run, I'd also like to ask about your dealer response on the spun bearings, particularly on the 2014 one. You said you know of service bulletins on this, but wouldn't such a new saw still be under warranty? Or is this not a warranty covered issue? If not, then why not? I ask because I also have the same saw (actually a Jred 2188, but the same nonetheless) but only a few months old. So if the bearings aren't under warranty for a known issue, I'd like to know why the dealer says its not. Thanks.

husqvarna won't even consider a guy after 3 months. husqvarna claim this issue was fixed in 2005 with a new bearing BUT evidently it was not. old bearing p/n ends in 1201 and new ends in 1301.

If the inboard clutch is to blame, I wonder why 372s wouldn't have this same problem? I know of fallers running 32-36" bars on 372s, and husky only recommends a maximum 28" bar on a 390xp? Seems weird to me.

it is funny, 24" bar on a ported 661 for 20" wood back east. 36" bar on a ported 372 here in the west :D. are we stupid or just realistic lol i've been liking the 372's at this point. i like the stiffer AV of the 390 and was originally convinced the 6203's held up better but what's the point of having a bigger bearing if they just spin lol i know some guys still running 372's and they last them a long time. heck, there are even alot of 390's that last but their demise is almost always that spun bearing or a cooked big end. the spun bearing does go unoticed though. would be interesting to know just how many 385/390's have spun mains without the owner even knowing. i know one guy who swears on simonized 372's. he's got a bunch of them and some are old run through the mud trashed looking and still run great.

really, nothing too mysterious there. any machine, a device which makes a puny human stronger, has to dissipate as much heat as it generates. a 390 packs 15 more ccs than a 372 and creates more btus from burning fuel and friction (a clutch is a friction device as is a ball bearing.) if it fails to radiate as much heat as it generates, it will go into a thermal runaway, where the excess heat is causing components to generate more heat than normal, and everything just gets worse at an exponential rate. sorta like when your home loan is "under water." westcoaster mentioned that his saws are ported and that could be a significant thermal contribution. he is probably highly skilled at cutting timber fast (horsepower is work performed in time) and that makes his saw run hot. actually westcoaster might be able to push a 372 into failure mode too. also, in tthat scenario, an inboard clutch is probably not a good idea. i haven't looked it up, does a 390 use the same clutch as a 372? an under sized clutch is a btu monster. in my opinion, husqvarna should give westcoaster three new saws every year and take them back for analysis. its called destructive testing.

A ported 390 with 36" bar & .063 chain heavily used on big westcoast wood. I'm sure you maintain your saws well and know them inside and out, but when doing it day in and day out, that combination is certainly pushing the upper limits of what the saw is designed to do.

in my opinion, husqvarna should give westcoaster three new saws every year and take them back for analysis. its called destructive testing.

That'd be pretty cool!:chainsaw:

alot of guys are running them way harder then me and having them last. some guys have one last a year and then one last 3 months. it's ****ed. that seems to be the trend. the ones that spin last 3-4 months production while the ones that don't spin last over a year and then still run when they are replaced. heck, if a guy tuned them fat even the spun ones last quite a bit. i just got a new gig doing a week of 10hr a day bucking and then a week falling per shift so i'll test out this loctite job over the next few shifts. probably buy a new 390 in a few days though just to have insurance. i've heard of guys having way better luck with 372's then 390's from a reliability stand point.

Most 390's floating around the coast likely have been put out to pasture. What once was a Tiger, is now a glass Tiger. I could have bought a 390 XPWG off a Faller in camp here the other day for $500. It looks to be in good shape, it was never ported and has a stock exhaust.
He said it was his 'pad princess' Meaning a back up saw that sits at the helipad and had little use and he has too many saws?
The thing is I have gone down that road to many times with a Mechanic friend of mine that makes his living trading and reconditioning saws. He has told me he runs into this 390 issue a lot over on the Vancouver lower mainland.
Maybe there has been the odd premature failure? 1200 fallers on the coast here alone. You can guarantee most all of these 390's have had a hard year in a pro application and the expectations were met and they are running down to drop another $1,800 in exchange for another 200 days of reliability that has been consistant for years.

It meets Our expectations. With used saws around here there can't be an expection.

Back in the early 90's in the Tree Spacing/Thinning days on the West coast We all used the 266 XP and nobody ever bad mouthed it. Arguably the best saw ever made to many of us and we could lay them in a box in 150 days 10 tanks per day. It owed us nothing and any second hand saw owes you nothing.

"And so castle's made of sand
Slip into the sea... eventually"

A couple of helipads that I helped construct in the last 4 days. It's amazing what these saw can withstand.
IMG_20160617_154424604_HDR.jpg IMG_20160619_122648220.jpg IMG_20160619_131906245.jpg

Most 390's floating around the coast likely have been put out to pasture. What once was a Tiger, is now a glass Tiger. I could have bought a 390 XPWG off a Faller in camp here the other day for $500. It looks to be in good shape, it was never ported and has a stock exhaust.
He said it was his 'pad princess' Meaning a back up saw that sits at the helipad and had little use and he has too many saws?
The thing is I have gone down that road to many times with a Mechanic friend of mine that makes his living trading and reconditioning saws. He has told me he runs into this 390 issue a lot over on the Vancouver lower mainland.
Maybe there has been the odd premature failure? 1200 fallers on the coast here alone. You can guarantee most all of these 390's have had a hard year in a pro application and the expectations were met and they are running down to drop another $1,800 in exchange for another 200 days of reliability that has been consistant for years.

It meets Our expectations. With used saws around here there can't be an expection.

Back in the early 90's in the Tree Spacing/Thinning days on the West coast We all used the 266 XP and nobody ever bad mouthed it. Arguably the best saw ever made to many of us and we could lay them in a box in 150 days 10 tanks per day. It owed us nothing and any second hand saw owes you nothing.

"And so castle's made of sand
Slip into the sea... eventually"

A couple of helipads that I helped construction in the last 4 days. It'd amazing what these saw can withstand.
View attachment 509195 View attachment 509196 View attachment 509197

absolutely ****ing beauty!!! ****ing wide pads for those A Stars! lol 266xp were a great saw like the 372. not like that ****** 390 lol i'll run them, BUT i will be sure to check them every shift until the warranty is up. if dealer refuses a fix within warranty i'm done with husqvarna!!!!!

absolutely ****ing beauty!!! ****ing wide pads for those A Stars! lol 266xp were a great saw like the 372. not like that ****** 390 lol i'll run them, BUT i will be sure to check them every shift until the warranty is up. if dealer refuses a fix within warranty i'm done with husqvarna!!!!!

15 ft planks instead of 14ft.
Stump was cut a little low so we had to add the back one for lift in order to level it instead of spiking the stringers to the stump. One false leg with a brace at the front.
I think you will find you will get enough pro time out of a new 390. It's about 2.5 days work at full rate if you are just buying the saw. That's not too bad.

Yes that's called Twin lake's
That's one lake pictured. You can just see the inlet off to the right of the lake.
Those are conventional blocks so they may just be dumping trees and leaving them whole for the yarder. That was my new quarter until I got pulled this morning to move on. Where I started I had a Sibola conventional block below me and to the side. They just dumped and walked out. No processing at all. Just beyond those cut blocks in the other side of the inlet is called 'Pecker Piont' It's close to Ocean Falls. Apparently there used to be a mill in the 1930 and a whore house there.

Yes that's called Twin lake's
That's one lake pictured. You can just see the inlet off to the right of the lake.
Those are conventional blocks so they may just be dumping trees and leaving them whole for the yarder. That was my new quarter until I got pulled this morning to move on. Where I started I had a Sibola conventional block below me and to the side. They just dumped and walked out. No processing at all. Just beyond those cut blocks in the other side of the inlet is called 'Pecker Piont' It's close to Ocean Falls. Apparently there used to be a mill in the 1930 and a whore house there.
:laugh:@Pecker Point:ices_rofl:...Was the whore house fully stocked?...lol...Take care today and everyday...Miss you...

15 ft planks instead of 14ft.
Stump was cut a little low so we had to add the back one for lift in order to level it instead of spiking the stringers to the stump. One false leg with a brace at the front.
I think you will find you will get enough pro time out of a new 390. It's about 2.5 days work at full rate if you are just buying the saw. That's not too bad.

the 500 pads are even smaller then 14' i believe and that's all i know at this point.

Latest posts

Back