Where can we buy these?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
I have been looking for 3/4" small spline rim in the .375 8. All I can find is the 7's in .375. I can find small spline rim in .325 8 or 7. Wonder why there isnt a market for the .375 8 in small spline. I also found it in 7/8" standard spline .375 8. So anyone know where to look for .375 8 small spline rims? I have tried bailey's, cutters, ebay, web searches.

I dont know if its even possible to get a small spline 3/8 8T rim. it may well be possible, I just dont know who would supply it. oddly, I've seen Baileys selling a 9T .325 rim.

I'm thinking that the need for a small spline 8 tooth is kinda low...most of the modern small spline saws I know about are in the under 60cc class, and make power up around 10,000 rpm, so the 13% increase in chain speed wouldn't be important, while the 13% loss of "grunt in the cut" might be.

eyolf said:
I'm thinking that the need for a small spline 8 tooth is kinda low....
I think you are right!

I have made an attempt to find such a sprocket for my brothers 262xpg in the past, with no success. I have observed that others also have tried, with the same result.:pumpkin2:

Cut4fun, if you are set on trying 3/8x8 on your saw, I suggest that you contact Grande Dog at Baileys - as far as I remember they have replacement clutch drums with the larger spline for at least some saws (Husky 357xp, 359 and 262xp are those I recall).

At the moment I am using a 3/8x8, 15" bar and 36RSC setup on my 361 for limbing and most bucking. I have not timed any cuts, but at least it feels :rockn: faster than with 7-pin in smaller wood. For most felling I use 18" bar and 7-pin.

Which saw model is the one in question?

Last edited:
Yeah, I wanted to try an 8 tooth 3/8" on a Mac 655 w/ 16" bar - no luck in finding one.

Can you get a new clutch drum with a standard spline on it?

eyolf said:
I'm thinking that the need for a small spline 8 tooth is kinda low...most of the modern small spline saws I know about are in the under 60cc class, and make power up around 10,000 rpm, so the 13% increase in chain speed wouldn't be important, while the 13% loss of "grunt in the cut" might be.
So why would they sale the .325 in 8T for the even smaller 50cc and under saws. My 305 49cc with a 8T and 16" seemed to cut faster and it turns 13,500 rpms. No timed cuts yet. So I want a 3/8 8T to try on my 3750 60cc with a 16" and it turns 13,800 rpms. Just seems like some maker out there is missing sales. I know others that go to the gtg's and they said they would like to buy and try 3/8 8T in small spline too. Are you listening Oregon, Carlton? There is a market for small spline 3/8 8T. Now lets see how long before we see some on the market. Dreamer nothing but a dreamer is how that tune will go.

Cut4fun said:
So why would they sale the .325 in 8T for the even smaller 50cc and under saws. .....
I don't think the .325x8 are intended for the smaller saws with the small 7-spline. There are saws in the 60cc (+) class, that have the small 7-spline.

The simply would not be any .325x8 availiable at all if it wasn't offered on the small 7-spline, as the drive tangs would interfere with the splines if you tried to make a .325x8 for the larger 7-spline.
Rims in .325x6 and in 3/8x7 are about the same size.
3/8x7 is the smallest rim that is possible on the larger spline, and it is possible only because there are an equal number of splines and "teeth" in that case.

.325x9 is the smallest .325 rim possible on the larger spline.

Back