Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Some impressive waves there.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/another-storm-to-batter-irelan/22682860
More on the way. We can't catch much of a break. I have to hurry and kill a bunch of poplars this week and weekend before they fall. They're leaning as it is. Have my trusty ported MS361 and 2177(ported HyWay big bore with pop-up) with me now.

154191908.YtWAsZ7K.jpg

154307208.gJhtoXTE.jpg

Animal Welfare in Ireland is nearly nonexistent. I'm not even joking. I put in 3-4 days a week in a local Greyhound rescue(one of the many stipulations to keep my volunteer visa). Lots of things here are nearly turn of the century backwards. Animal welfare is one. Nearly everything else is another. It's one of the reasons I love it here, and one of the reasons it pains me here. It reminds me a lot of when I was growing up. How much more simple things were. It also reminds me how much more difficult it is to get the less simple things done.

E.T.A. We're fugt: http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2014/0203/20518041-widespread-floods-affect-much-of-the-country/

I hope they gave that horse a big bucket of oats!

sounds like you all are getting pounded again this weekend. heard something on the bbc about 40 ft on-shore waves in southern ireland. hope all is well

The flooding has been brutal. Ireland is used to rain. So, we have drainage, and a huge amount of rivers and creeks and culverts. It just isn't used to storm after storm after storm. I was in Waterford last weekend, and the River Suir was at the banks on the Quays. I left a few hours before high tide. Waterford is an old Viking fort - so it's mostly built upon hillsides upon the banks. More inland, the flooding has been terrible. People are losing homes, and farmers are losing fields. So much water is moving about, it's taking much of the land with it. England's also suffering, as well. It's just the unrelenting storm after storm.

Where I am, in country Tipperary, is nearly an hour from the coast at about 300 ft elevation. So we are getting the water flow off the mountains and rivers. We have several fields that are now lakes. I had to help clean up when the greyhound kennels flooded last week. It's been fairly cold as well, so the poor hounds must have been freezing standing in water for most of the night. All river locks are basically open in hopes the water will dissipate, but the storms just won't stop. I'm seeing military everywhere I go and hearing choppers all hours. It's a bit rough here right now.

Well, been busy clearing stuff out from the storms here in Ireland. I'll have a vid up soon with the saws as this fell down on the corner of the Greyhound rescue I volunteer at.

large.jpg

We also lost power in much of the county for nearly 3 days. It's been storming and snowing and sleeting etc. So not the best of times. We had to run down to the well around the corner for water for over 100 animals we have on the property and ourselves. So, been very busy. Today I cut the root ball off that thing. Trying to decide what to do with the wood I am gonna be keeping. What can I make out of beech with relatively meager carving skills? The rest of it will be firewood.

Isn't most of Ireland on underground power? If memory serves then that sounds like a bad deal all around.

I do like cutting stump balls off into a water/muddy hole... someone is usually watching and from the wrong side too:laugh:

Yeah, they predominantly bury the wires. It's been ugly here. I stay in a trailer on the property itself next to the rescue. So having no electricity in 0* weather wasn't much fun. My gas has been out for months, too. So, no heat. The worst part was the water. Our pumps need electricity to work. They don't have a generator here because, well, Ireland doesn't HAVE storms. The well is 1/4 mile away and it was flooded. We managed to get there with a land rover and fill a bunch of 5 liter bottles. The phones were down, so we had zero communication with the outside world as well. We had to go in to town to call the ESB(electric board) and inform them we were fugt. I've been spending the last few days helping locals remove bad trees. Very few folks out in the country here have decent saws. I felt bad for a local farmer that was cutting on a massive chestnut with some sort of tiny Makita/Dolmar thing. He was headed to kill himself with that tree. So I went after the thing with my ported 77cc Jonsered. "Jaysus - that yoke is proper loud, so it is".

Usually my days off are Thursday or Friday to Sunday. I have to put a minimum of 3 days a week at the rescue to be in compliance with my visa. I do some forestry and a few other things under the table, like port and repair saws here and there. But the last few weeks with the storms, I have had no days off from anything It's been insane. Yesterday I took one of the local teenage volunteers away from the kennels since they had plenty of folks come in that were concerned for the Greyhounds and wanted to help, and I had him help me brash the area aroudn that Beech. We moved all the brash and wood from the road after I cleared the road from the tree. He narrowly escaped the splash from the root ball. Though the weather was complete crap, we had a good time.

I did play with the Jonsered some last weekend and increased the intake timing and messed with the transfers some. She sound pretty nice now - this is on some of that that beech that went down during a lull in the storm night before:

Sounds like a good time... Is the pub at least in walking distance? Not sure any little storm would upset the regular delivery of Guinness...

Its been a long standing tradition in my family to have a week or two of food and water on hand at all times (call it paranoia...) for situations just like this. We pretty much always lived in some semi remote corner of the world that was easily cut off from normal means of entertainment, so chasing/running from tornados in WY to shoveling sand here in WA or the winter ritual of cutting my way home during winter...

things will improve, keep yer chin up and saws sharp, does sound like I should maybe pack up my saws and go on another "vacation"... now if only I could find some sucker to pay for the plane tickets...

Things are still interesting here in Dublin -

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/04/08/meanwhile-in-rathfarnham/

Our guys(and gals) here use Steyr AUG's. It's interesting to see bank transfers here, coz they are accompanied by the military - the bank in the background there is Permanent TSB, my own bank I use here in Ireland. SO, I had to wait for them to finish the transfer. The IRA and armed gangs used to hit banks regularly:

147858198.TF2YHutV.jpg

I spent the best part of this spring in Southern England. Apart from a portion of smog from France, the weather was terrific!

Latest posts

Back