Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were somewhere between Surrey/Greater London. I stayed away from logging, but was a janitor/cook/nanny/cleaner/driver/pub frequenter... My wife had business there. Quite urban, wonderful people.

Wow, almost forgot I had this thread. I was up last weekend falling spruce and cedar up in the mountains of the Deise(Day Shuh) AKA Waterford Demesne/County. YOu guys seen plenty of falling pics, and it was raining mostly, so I was busy cutting and swearing. What I DID manage was to take a few pics of the area, which I am sure ya haven't seen so much of:

Here's some photos of the area I was in:

156009594.XXY90ilY.jpg

156009600.v9pjf5uZ.jpg

156009614.sJr8HPXO.jpg

156009605.9IIKw2yX.jpg

I love this country.

Still doing random tree work on the side here in Ireland. A bud of mine called me today and said a local farmer still had a 'large cedar' down on his farm. I came over to have a look. Turns out it is a 200+ year old yellow cypress that decided to give up the ghost in the storms last winter. Here it is with my saw sitting on one of the lower limbs:

156789024.HVC5IdEI.jpg

The trunk is about 5' DBH or so. It grew on a bit of a rise, so has been dry much of it's life. The rings are very tight, and it is about as hard as oak to cut. I am hoping to make some furniture out of it. The line you see on it was for their clothes :)

Been looking for a 440/460 to get some work done here. I sold off my 2165 when it had a lot of value during the storms here. Now I am finding myself in need of a saw that can do a bit of milling and felling. Let me know if you guys know of any? Chainsaws are ridiculously expensive here in Ireland. :(

In other news - the nice thing about Ireland is not only that it is, well, awesome - it is also awesomely close to the rest of Europe. Spending this week in Portugal, helping out a family member here. 2 hour flight, dontcha know:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=669924699773188&set=pcb.669927123106279&type=1&theater is my FB gallery of Lisbon so far(which is mostly my Greyhound and Whippet rescue page, really, as I have to have a FB presence to help with those).

Cheers

According to the post, Randy's saw arrived today in Ireland. I'm picking it up tomorrow afternoon in town. Not a moment too soon. I have yet again turned another page and started a new chapter...hopefully. I've left my old job looking after Greyhounds and mostly doing side jobs in Waterford and Tipperary(well, ok, I'll still do some of the side jobs), but I am in talks with the owner of Castle Gurteen de la Poer in Kilsheelan, Waterford, Ireland. Well, it also spills over into Tipperary some. They need a grounds keeper to live on the property and tend to their forests(AKA Kilsheelan Woods - lots of blow downs from what I have seen today) and to prepare wood for the winter. Some good folks in Waterford referred me after the work I did there logging spruce. It is work through the winter, and maybe into next summer if it is a good fit. It was raining and misty all day, and I was busy talking to the owner, so no pics - but I did manage to find these on line. And let me tell you, they don't do the place justice:

http://ie.geoview.info/castle_gurteen_de_la_poer_in_kilsheelan,70684773p

Oo, fancy... Sometimes it's a good thing that people talk.

Wish you good luck with the job!

Oo, fancy... Sometimes it's a good thing that people talk.

Wish you good luck with the job!

Thanks. I know the couple that lived on the mountain side across from it as well. So two good refs. Only one problem - the job usually doesn't pay ;) It's room and board only. But they have never had anyone with any real forestry knowledge(and you can argue they still wont...), and real saw skills. So, they seem to be willing to work with me. We'll see.

The grounds have a very medieval feel to them, but they get some mobile phone coverage from the local village, so I won't be totally cut off. And the Castle itself is not a far walk from the nearest pub. So not bad at all.

Well now all ya need is a few odd jobs for beer money and you've got er licked.

That saw I sent to Scotland ended up costing that dude like L300 in import tax, so be aware. and it was a clapped out runned over old saw.

Room and board usually includes drink. More often than not, there is a small stipend for food, plus sundries.

UK customs, and UK law enforcement in general are far more strict than here. Ireland is a remarkably laid back place. Still, import tax is 25% of whatever they decide is the value, so you do not want to get stung on a used saw. Randy was willing to partially disassemble the saw for me and send it as parts. It's actually in possession of an ex coworker at the moment(I left the old job yesterday morning), so duty wasn't required. I'll be meeting them over here in town for lunch. I had it delivered to the Greyhound rescue I worked at because someone is always there and if there are charges, they will leave the package and a bill instead of just **** off with it back to the base. I personally am confused at charging duty on old used saws - especially when they can be 10 years old or older. It makes no sense as these are not competing on any remotely significant scale with local business or commerce. I think Ireland shares that feeling. UK - not so much.

There is a world of difference from Ireland to the UK, even the short stint I had in Northern Ireland seemed weird compared to the Republic.

Its almost like the Irish government trusts the people... weird huh...

Well, it's a combination of approaching policing very easy(because, well, the history of policing in Ireland isn't a very good one...), and the fact that even the police are fairly laid back. No one is gonna really shoot them, after all. Most police do not even have pepper spray or mace. Only the animal wardens carry it regularly.

Heh. USA bar from Centralia all the way over there in Ireland!

I was up the castle today speaking with the owner. He has brought me on board to help manage their woods. I will have some pics eventually. It's a working farm, castle, and woods rolled all into one big expanse of hillside. They have a lot of college students from the continent helping out on the farm. One was an American whom was pretty cool. I think I am gonna enjoy myself.

Latest posts

Back