Which gas cap do you prefer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which gas cap do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like the screw caps. They've worked on chainsaws since they were invented. I will not keep a flippy cap saw in my line up because I hate them. I have some saws with flippies at the present but they'll be out the door soon. I think Stihl fixed a problem that didn't exist. I also strongly dislike the tool less chain tightening system for the same reason (added complexity and fixing a non existent problem)
My favorite fuel caps are on the 017/018 Stihl saws. You can fill those things from a 55 gallon drum.

271525609436_1_0_1.jpg

I prefer the screw caps that were on the late 90's Huskys, you could really get your fingers in them. Never touched a flippy cap, but I'm sure they're not terrible. Above all I like a cap that doesn't LEAK!

Screw caps preferred as well, all though my 441 has the flippy style and never have had a issue yet.

I only own one piece of Stihl equipment .....a Kombi 130R.....it is from the time of the flippy cap recall.......I'm a simple man....like simple things that work well......and don't always believe change is good just because it's different....it can be...but things don't always change for the better.....I dunno......you judge.....bear in mind that when this pic was taken the Jonsereds cap was 35 +- yrs old and works like new......the flippy aged 2 yrs 3 months....DOA.....Misc. Saw Pics 002.jpg

I only own one piece of Stihl equipment .....a Kombi 130R.....it is from the time of the flippy cap recall.......I'm a simple man....like simple things that work well......and don't always believe change is good just because it's different....it can be...but things don't always change for the better.....I dunno......you judge.....bear in mind that when this pic was taken the Jonsereds cap was 35 +- yrs old and works like new......the flippy aged 2 yrs 3 months....DOA.....View attachment 362381

I'd rather have a flippy cap and risk spilling a little oil then a convoluted intake setup that requires pulling a cylinder to 'update'. Along with the half assed metal band that is either too tight or too loose.

I am/was a fan of the flippy caps. When they are functioning properly they are fantastic. However, they are not as durable as the screw on and you can't over fill the fluid or you get small spills. I don't have a problem with small spills but when the flippy is worn and not sealing right or not securing correctly it is a PITA. For those reasons I prefer the screw on caps now; they are plain, simple, durable, and effective. Having to use a tool is not a problem for me; leaking and dysfunction is. The new Husqy caps seem to be the best solution to the problem: a screw on cap with tool-less operation.

I only own one piece of Stihl equipment .....a Kombi 130R.....it is from the time of the flippy cap recall.......I'm a simple man....like simple things that work well......and don't always believe change is good just because it's different....it can be...but things don't always change for the better.....I dunno......you judge.....bear in mind that when this pic was taken the Jonsereds cap was 35 +- yrs old and works like new......the flippy aged 2 yrs 3 months....DOA.....View attachment 362381
Just like with the 7.3 Powerstroke, change shoulda never happened!

I like the new husky caps, keeps my Gary goo where it does the most good. Russ

I've only had one saw with flippy caps. An MS260. I liked the flippy caps for the most part until one day I overfilled the bar oil and absolutely could not get the damn thing back on. It didn't just make a mess, it actually would not go in due to hydraulic pressure. When I finally dumped some oil out, making a bigger mess, the cap still wouldn't lock because the little locking disc was in the wrong position. Fiddled with it some more and then it was fine. Lesson learned.

All of my other Stihls have screw caps, which I prefer.
All of the older style screw caps, with the finer ridges, have cracked on me at some point and been replaced with the newer style.
I don't think those caps would have cracked were it not for over tightening with a scrench.

Does anyone know of a cap with big finger grips or knobs that will fit Stihl saws?

I'd rather have a flippy cap and risk spilling a little oil then a convoluted intake setup that requires pulling a cylinder to 'update'. Along with the half assed metal band that is either too tight or too loose.

I've never ha d a problem with that intake system... Are you retarded, or just 'Riff Raff'? :laugh:

I've never ha d a problem with that intake system... Are you retarded, or just 'Riff Raff'? :laugh:
I've bought 5 xp's with scored pistons thanks to that plastic intake clamp.

And yet to find someone to sell me a stihl for $50 because of flippy caps.

Back