which husky?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tundraotto

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
which husky?
looking for a companion for my husky 136 - which is great for little cutting. I am needing a pretty big saw for extensive tree felling at a ranch cleanup that will last for quite a while due to last years ice storm. I cant spend much more tha $500 - but i really need 20" bar and as many hp/cc as i can get for the money - ideas? Whats the best (cheapest) place to buy on the net - been to alamia.com and madsens.com - All help will be greatly appreciated.

Tundraotto, I would highly recommend the Husky 372XP if you can afford it. It has the best power-to-weight ratio of all of Husky's middle weight saws (5.4 hp and 13.5 lbs). It goes for $585 'out the door' with free shipping (no tax, no shipping charges) from alamia and you get your choice of either a 20" bar or a 24" bar and the proper size loop of Oregon 72LP full chisel chain. Madsen's sells the 372XP for slightly less (with a 20" bar) but you'll have to pay shipping which will probably add another 15 or 20 dollars to the cost. Yes, alamia and Madsen's are the two best places I have found for internet purchase of Husky saws. You might also check your local Husky dealer and see if he is running any 'specials' on this saw or you can always try to negotiate a deal. If you can't quite handle $585 then you can drop down the the Husky 365 (4.6 hp and 13.2 lbs). It runs $510 at alamia which is only $75 less than the 372XP runs, but I recommend the 372XP - you won't have to work it as hard since it makes more horsepower and it revs to a higher operating speed than the 365 which means it will cut faster.

Last edited:
The 372 XP is a great saw, but I think a little too much for what it sounds like you are doing. Instead of the 365 I would get a 357XP (4.4hp) Which can easily handle a 24" bar. Also with the money you save you could get a 16" bar and chain also and I GUARANTEE once you start smoking logs with the 16" bar you will only use the 24" bar when you absolutely have to. Also it is a lot easier to file and maintain a 16" than a 24", and it will easily double the cutting speed of your 136 with a 16"

The wood to be cut would be almost exclusively cedar and hickory and i need as many hp as I can afford - I need something that eats through the hardwood - QUICKLY as there will be many, many, trunks to cut. 372xp looks ok on power - i will use a 20"bar and oregon lp chain - and i dont want this saw to bog down and slow me down!! How would the 365 handle in your guys opinion with this setup? and what about the 357xp? and where do i find a 357xp these days? and for how much? once again, thanks for all your help.

PS. what should i be looking for in the rpm range for this type of wood - eg. no 14K rpm is great - but the saw needs to be able to keep the revs in the power range through this cutting.

Well I am sure the 372XP will satisfy your power craving. Just not for $500. You are probably looking at $600 out the door with a 20" bar and Oregon 3/8 full chisel. For $700 you can order one from Walkers Saw Shop and have it Walkerized and get almost 7hp. They are at www.walkerssawshop.com. For $500 the 357XP cannot be beat. I would forget the 365. It is not a bad saw but the 357 has the same hp with less weight and is a professional saw while the 365 is not. Either will easily handle a 20" bar. As far as rpms you want between 13000 and 14000, which is what all the professional Stihl and Huskies in this cc range run. None of the above saws will bog with a 20" bar if you use it properly and keep a sharp chain on the saw. They will cut so fast compared to your 136 be careful you do not go right through the log and your leg too:eek:

thanks huskyman

I appreciate your knowledge on this subject. I just dont have all the experience - i just know that in the past every saw i have owned - i have BOGGED down... i want a saw and i guess if it takes an extra $80 i will do it -- just dont want to be disappointed....thanks again huskyman - thats one thing i know husky is king

Which Husky - Decision Time

Let us know what model Husqvarna saw you end up getting and how it works for you Tundraotto. I think any of the three Husky saws recommended will suit your needs well but I still highly recommend the 372XP and it sounds like with what you've got to cut (hardwood) you could use the added power. I've got a 372XP myself which I am planning to send out to Ken 'the hotsaw' Dunn to have it modified into a 'fast' faller's saw (no Ken, I haven't forgot). Ken says he can get an additional 40-45% horsepower out of it in this form which should put it at over 7 1/2 horsepower. That's more power than a stock 395XP Husky or a stock 066 Stihl which is great concidering it's a 13.5 pound (powerhead only) saw. Ken claims about a 40% reduction in cutting time with his mods. I'm looking forward to ripping through some timber with this setup!

more power?

well - 365 is out for me - im sure its a good saw - but like already repeated - cutting power is of the essence here. I would love to know more about the 357xp and if its an older model, and thats why I cant find it anywhere...where do i?
Tuning saws sounds like something that might be a cool project in the future for me - but for now i have oak, cedar etc for. .... and hp is always expensive - $500 is what im ready for but i want this project to be on me - not the saw - (ie. $500 but if i have to work extra for a saw that will do the extra for me - i'll do the same to get it) - I lean on that saw hard, and i need something that can handle the big chips - thats all..
Tuning may be in the chips (pardon the expression) but only to improve what i hope would be a great saw for this price from the start - do i need to look at stihl? - what are their equivalents? just want the best saw and have always liked the huskys...
i know its decision time - just wanted to check if i had my chips straight - so... 372xp or 357xp and why and, as always for how much..

thanks

Last edited:
Ok this is my last post on this thread Tundra. The 357XP is a newer model for Husqvarna - it just came out this year. It's got a 57 cc motor, the power head weighs 12.1 pounds and it is rated at 4.4 peak horsepower (the 372XP has a 71cc motor, the power head weigh 13.5 pounds and it is rated at 5.4 peak horsepower). If you go to www.alamia.com and look under Husqvarna Professional saws, you will see that they sell the 357XP for $510 with your choice of a 18" or 20" bar. So there you go - there's the 372XP for $585 or the 357XP for $510. For the $75 difference I would go with the 372XP for all the reasons I've already stated. If you do decide to modify your saw on down the road, the 372XP will give you much more potential since it has a 14cc larger motor than the 357XP to start with. As far as looking at Stihl's, you would be looking at the 044 or 046. The 044 will cost you well over $600 'out the door' and the 046 runs about $75 more than that. So if you want to go with a comparable Stihl saw, be prepared to spend more money for the same level of performance. Good luck.

like a tick i guess...

im sorry i keep coming back with stupid s___ but alamia.com posts 357xp as having:

This model offers 3.5 cu.in.(57cc), 3.2hp. Dry weight 12.1 lbs. Your choice of 18in. or 20in. bar and chain

3.2hp come on....whos right? 55 rancher has 3.4hp (albeit im sure at low revs but..) I'm sorry i dont know now whether i coming or going..

stihls dont look like much - am I f--ed - i'm not calling anyone else and i will not call a lumber company on my land to take cara of bis - just want to do it myself. I'm sure you guys understand.

Yes, Tundra, you've got the prices right, but the information that alamia has for the 357XP is wrong. Go to www.husqvarna.com which is Husqvarna's web site for acurate technical information on Husky saws. The correct hp for the 357XP is 4.4 hp. If after going to the Husqvarna web site you still are having trouble making up your mind then I would recommend calling up and talking to somebody at Madsen's. They have a great knowledge base and they sell and service both Husqvarna and Stihl saws. I am sure that if you explain your situation to them that they can set you up with a saw that will suit your needs. I still recommend the 372XP though and if cost is a big issue, then alamia is a little less expensive then Madsen's - although maybe only about $10 more for the 372XP.

motorhead..

thanks for your help man, i will call madsen's just to make sure but i think you have just made me want a 372xp - thanks again - illl let you all know cos i'll curse if i made the wrong choice... - lol - "it'll cut but if i have to use it as a blunt knife ill be pis--d" - ill be happy with any of the saw you have pointed out but i cant describe to you the damage of this ice storm - 900 acres and 10% is sideways - i cant f___k around...i gotta save some wood - and huskyman what do ya think (im not rying to get it all started again but...you know..you know!!!)

Last edited:
Use a 20" bar and Oregon 72LP full chisel chain and KEEP THE CHAIN SHARP (very important) and you'll cut like a knife through hot butter. I keep two sharp chains ready and rotate the chain if I feel it getting dull. I try to do all the filing/sharping maintenance later on a bench. Good luck and keep us posted.

motorhead

I never quite got the hang of trying to sharpen a loose chain on the bench. Even using a bench vise, it takes too long moving the chain to access each tooth.
My experience has been that the only people who don't sharpen a chain on the bar are people who aren't very good with a hand file. I guess it has always been easier for me to kneel down on the ground and hit each tooth with a hand file rather than opening up the side cover in the field and getting crap trapped in the bar or between the bar and oiler hole. I usually don't remove the side cover unless I have access to an air hose so I can clean it out before putting it back together.
Oh well, different strokes...........

If you are responsible for 900 acres you better get a 372XP. Buy 2-3 chains and rotate them, and when they are wore out get a new sprocket, too. I just stick my saw in bench vise and free hand file with the chain on the bar and have no problems. I know I should measure the depth gauges but I buzz them down a little every third sharpening.
Tundraotto--you keep saying you like to lean hard on your saws, but with todays high speed saws and a sharp chain you saw will cut much faster and live much longer if you let the saw and chain do the cutting. You hardly have to lean on them at all. Your chain will stay sharp longer and run cooler also. One more thing-if you have to lean on it the chain is probably too dull and switch it out or swipe a file through it twice and you will be amazed at the difference. Good luck!

Don't forget them dawgs.....they are there for a purpose.It's kinda funny to watch a rookie use a saw.I see them actually push and pull the chainsaw just like a handsaw.A good saw man is getting harder to find these days also.

husky 288xp - cant seem to find a price anywhere, anyone know what they cost and if theyre any good compared to the 372xp?

Get the 372XP. By next year I think they will not be making the 288 any more. If you want to get into the 80cc class (here we go, bigger and bigger!) then get the new 385XP.

Latest posts

Back