Which is the better work boot?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTwoodnutt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Group,
'Don't know if this is the correct Forum to ask this question, but you could fit them in your hand, soo,

I'm looking for a new pair of non-insulated work boots.
I don't need to spend big bucks on them, but want a good pair.
- I saw two pairs on line at Walmart.
Which would be the better quality boot...

1 - Herman Survivors-Men's Big Timber II w/steel toes, for $60.00
or
2 -Dickies Job Rated Maxx Waterproof work boots w/steel toes for $70.00 ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

CTwoodnutt

Yeap what he said.walmart boots suck.i wore usa made carolinas for years.good boots but they killed my back.only others i've found are double h loggers and they are super comfortable. Expensive but outlast all of the others a long time and are made in texas.

Don't know if there will be one this year but the past few years Danner has run a sale over Labor Day weekend. Bought a pair of 6" Pronghorns for $70 and my son in law bought 2 pair of Quarry boots for $90 each. Like I said, I don't know if there will be a sale this year but I'll sure be checking.

It might be tough on the budget, but consider 2 pair. Alternating boots to allow the other pair to thoroughly dry goes a long, long way to extending their life. If one pair last a year (humor me, some do, some don't) two pairs will last more than two years (2.5, maybe 3?)

I seldom buy both pair at the same time. Usually a week or so apart, to thoroughly test drive one pair. I do try to keep them identical so I don't prefer (and wear) one pair over the other.

Used to i would only get 4 months max out of a pair of boots.better quality boot and i would get a year.now a little more since i got a peet boot dryer.that thing is a life saver during winter.throw them on the dryer when you get home and the next morning you have nice dry warm boots.
I've also found that neetsfoot oil and saddle soap are a big mistake on boots.rot city.i have switched to sno-seal.it works great as a waterproofer and doesnt dry out or stretch the leather.

Don't know if there will be one this year but the past few years Danner has run a sale over Labor Day weekend. Bought a pair of 6" Pronghorns for $70 and my son in law bought 2 pair of Quarry boots for $90 each. Like I said, I don't know if there will be a sale this year but I'll sure be checking.

Danner has blowout sales more frequently. You have to sign up for the email notifications.

Go to sportsman's guide. Carolina loggers. They can be had for $100, sometimes with free shipping. I am a survey crew chief, and I can get 2-2.5 yrs. out of a pair. I walk in everything imaginable on a daily basis. I haven't tried every brand there is, because when I tried these, I haven't bought anything else. For conditioning, Huberds shoe grease; quote: the original beeswax and pine tar leather conditioner.

thanks pgdalton.i may have to try some of that boot grease.
sportsmans guide is a really good place to buy.

i wear red wings they are the most comfortable for me and they require no break in for me.
i usually buy a par every 5 yrs.

Hi Group,
'Don't know if this is the correct Forum to ask this question, but you could fit them in your hand, soo,

I'm looking for a new pair of non-insulated work boots.
I don't need to spend big bucks on them, but want a good pair.
- I saw two pairs on line at Walmart.
Which would be the better quality boot...

1 - Herman Survivors-Men's Big Timber II w/steel toes, for $60.00
or
2 -Dickies Job Rated Maxx Waterproof work boots w/steel toes for $70.00 ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

CTwoodnutt
I'm on my 3rd pair of Lacrosse Quad Comfort boots. They are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. They are pricier than Walmart specials, but no comparison in comfort, and they last a whole lot longer.

'nutt hasn't been back on the site since posting this thread 16AUG. Hope he didn't get swallowed up by one of those http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/ folks...

I'm a fan of the Timberland Ripsaw composite safety toe boot. Wicked comfortable right out of the box, and my feet are shot. Six years in Army jump boots, old school Dexter hiking boots before that, and every imaginable boot after through 30 years in the trades, yup, my feet are shot. Heck, I think except for the wingtips I was married in 30 years ago all I've worn are workboots. Did I mention my feet are shot? Lol

That said, if my company didn't pay for them I don't think I'd buy 'em. Why? $275 bucks thereabouts, and the Vibram deep-lug soles are flat-out worn out after six months. I guess if I only wore them in the woods they'd wear longer, but they're just too soft a rubber to expect to last in my world. But, I wear them every day.

Timberland Ripsaw.JPG

I don't know about either brand, but I am currently wearing a pair of Walmart steel toes, I've got about 2 years on them. They are pretty well blasted, but the $400 pair of Whites I bought to replace them are so uncomfortable I keep wearing the Walmarts instead.
Was going to buy another pair recently but they don't even carry ANY steel toe boots at the local store anymore.

Not saying White's aren't good but holy cow, they are beyond crazy to break in!

I worked in Land Surveying for 30 yrs and wore out a lot of boots. If you find a pair you really like buy a second pair and wear them every other day. Then your boots will be dry and fresh every morning when you put them on w/o using a dryer and both pairs will last a loooong time , your feet will also feel better all day long.

Buy the best boot you can afford, either pair of wally world boots might do it for you, if they don't hold up, you'll know better next time.
I got some good service out of the Lacrosse Quad comfort, about 2 years, then they went up to 125 clams here,,they weren't that good! The leather became very soft and comfy, but was thin enough that my hoof would sometimes get a good jab from sticks/rocks. The Danners I bought last year are holding up well and have the rubber bumpers to provide some decent protection.

Back