Which Leather chainsaw boot?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wear just Wesco Jobmaster boots. I understand what all the PPE is about but i couldn't do my job and move around in a tree wearing a suit of armour.

I'm much more terrified of being vegatized by a widow maker than cut by a saw.

My mentality is;
things get easier and safer= people get more absent minded and dangerous...

Don't kid yourself. When I cut my boot the other day the saw hit the steel cap and then glanced off. If there hadn't been Kevlar behind the steel cap it would have been nasty. All the steel cap would have changed was how far up the foot I amputated myself.

How did you even manage that?

I looked at the Hiax site and I only see steel toe caps and Kevlar in the sole. I don't see any Kevlar elsewhere.

Here's there "features" page-

Features - HAIX.COM

Although the Haix.com site fails to elaborate, if one visits the HAIX Bootstore and chooses "Forestry Boots", each model claims "Kevlar protection against cuts" as one of the features.

Currently available "Clearance" and "Factory Seconds" are also shown....

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like a few of us are looking at protective boots.
I consider myself to be very careful and really watch where my bar is at (I have Big feet - easy targets). However I'm also living proof that "stuff happens." When I first started sawing, a spring pole pushed the saw into my left knee - ER trip and a few stitches and I have worn chaps ever since. Shortly after that, after a sawing job was finished, I noticed that my left boot had a chain gouge right above the big toe. The boots were my favorite woods/hunting boots, sturdy insulated Red Wing leather boots (no steel toe). Without me noticing at the time the chain cut right through the leather and most insulation. I was miffed that I wrecked a favorite boot, but also thanking the Lord that my foot was untouched. I bought a new pair of nice insulated Red Wings for hunting, and a cheap pair of uninsulated Steel toed work boots for sawing. I felt pretty safe until I saw what happens when the chain slides over the steel cap and digs into the boot - and my current ones only have a thin piece of leather between my foot and the chain!
I am still planning to buy a pair of good leather chainsaw protective boots, but have not yet decided which brand or model.
I did go ahead and buy a pair of $99 Husqvarna rubber ones and the stud kit. I'll use them until I decide on the leather ones and then use them for shoveling icy sidewalks and ice fishing here in MN. Who knows, maybe I'll like them for sawing more than I expect and just forget the leather ones.

Bob R

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like a few of us are looking at protective boots.
I consider myself to be very careful and really watch where my bar is at (I have Big feet - easy targets). However I'm also living proof that "stuff happens." When I first started sawing, a spring pole pushed the saw into my left knee - ER trip and a few stitches and I have worn chaps ever since. Shortly after that, after a sawing job was finished, I noticed that my left boot had a chain gouge right above the big toe. The boots were my favorite woods/hunting boots, sturdy insulated Red Wing leather boots (no steel toe). Without me noticing at the time the chain cut right through the leather and most insulation. I was miffed that I wrecked a favorite boot, but also thanking the Lord that my foot was untouched. I bought a new pair of nice insulated Red Wings for hunting, and a cheap pair of uninsulated Steel toed work boots for sawing. I felt pretty safe until I saw what happens when the chain slides over the steel cap and digs into the boot - and my current ones only have a thin piece of leather between my foot and the chain!
I am still planning to buy a pair of good leather chainsaw protective boots, but have not yet decided which brand or model.
I did go ahead and buy a pair of $99 Husqvarna rubber ones and the stud kit. I'll use them until I decide on the leather ones and then use them for shoveling icy sidewalks and ice fishing here in MN. Who knows, maybe I'll like them for sawing more than I expect and just forget the leather ones.

Bob R

The fact that you think your boots are wrecked from the damage you described makes it easier to understand why you are apt to cut yourself. That's all ill say... Other than have the boot patched.....

Although the Haix.com site fails to elaborate, if one visits the HAIX Bootstore and chooses "Forestry Boots", each model claims "Kevlar protection against cuts" as one of the features.

Currently available "Clearance" and "Factory Seconds" are also shown....

When you look closely at the icons representing the features of each boot, you see that none have any protection other than in the toe. They say "cut protection" and that the boots have Kevlar, but the illustrations just show Kevlar in the footbed and a steel cap.

HAIX FOREST - HAIX.COM

Maybe that's another reason to run a longer bar on a saw. I don't usually cut near my feet.

I agree with that. An 18" bar on a small husky seems to fall right on my toes the easiest . I use mostly stihls and mostly longer bars but about 7 out of 8 nicks and cuts in the toes of my boots came from 18" Huskies. Caught my insulated coveralls 1 time also above the boot,cut through my pance and long johns and got little more then a scratch on my skin before the days I started wearing chaps. I don't like the angle of Husky handle bars for that reason and they usually pain my back in a short time wth bars under 20".

When you look closely at the icons representing the features of each boot, you see that none have any protection other than in the toe. They say "cut protection" and that the boots have Kevlar, but the illustrations just show Kevlar in the footbed and a steel cap.

The Haix Airpower Gold has an internal label indicating conformity with ASTM F 2413-2005 for static electricity (SD) and puncture resistance (PR) but not chainsaw cut resistance (CS).View attachment 292083

The Matterhorn MT2000 10" Waterproof Steel Toe Chainsaw Boot lists 7 layers of ripstop Kevlar in the uppers.

Last edited:
The Matterhorn MT2000 10" Waterproof Steel Toe Chainsaw Boot lists 7 layers of ripstop Kevlar in the uppers.

Yes, and I cut through 3 layers completely and part of the fourth (wouldn't have wanted my toe to have been the fourth layer.) I do not feel the 2 layer Kevlar in some boots is sufficient. It is certainly better than nothing, but 7 is three and a half time times as good. I am replacing my cut up Matterhorns with new Materhorns.

Thanks for the info. I did not know there was a Matterhorn MT2000. It did not show up on Baileys using their general browser. But I Goggled Matterhorn MT2000 and it gave me a link back to Baileys where they are in stock for $339! (Baileys might make more sales if they made all their inventory easier to access) This looks like the boot I'm looking for. I'm not sure what size to order though. I usually wear a 13 eee. Do any of you know if these boots (they call M/W) would fit, or should I order a size 14? Again, thanks everyone for your help.

Bob R.

I wear a 14E and my brother wears a 14EE. We both have the 2000's. The boots were only available in 14EE (I believe it was an EE, it might have been an E). There is enough length but my fourth toe hits the end of the cap. It takes some getting used to, but I really don't notice it much any more. That is the only place they are tight, the last is generous otherwise. When I am done cutting, then I'm ready to get my hunting boots on. They feel like tennis shoes after wearing the chainsaw boots. If I were you, I would order the 14 and expect them to be very stiff for a while. The trade off is a sense that your feet can take a serious shot from a saw spinning 10K rpm.

dosn't red wing have some boots with the steel toe and the meditorsal (not shure thats spelled right ) that have the cs on them and for what its worth if you go leather i would suggest obenauf's LP for a conditioner/ waterproffer it has been the best thing i have found and im in water and mud almost every day and my boots are lasting twice as long sence i started using it

nmurph - Thanks for the information and advice. I'm glad that you foot was protected from injury!
rjb - We have a Red Wing store near by and they told me that none of their (very fine) boots were rated for chainsaw protection. I use snowseal on all my leather boots. It keeps the leather very soft and water repelant.

I don't mean to push my PPE opinions on any of you. But as for me my family, my trip to the ER to have my knee stitched up convinced me that PPE was a great investment for Myself, and as a father I should be a good example to my two grown sons who use chainsaws occasionally. They never use any PPE other than sunglasses and maybe some ear plugs. They also smile when I show up wearing PPE from head to toe. They probably think "silly old man NEEDS all that stuff!" But PPE adds to my enjoyment of sawing and my conscience is at peace that I am doing right for my family - protecting my wife and family from huge medical bills, lost of my income, or even lost of my presence with them. I pray that my sons do not have to learn this and many other life lessons the hard way - like I usually did.

Bob R

bob R. thanks for the info i guess i was wong witch makes me feel great about my redwings that i thought were cs resistant. i agree with you thow ppe is one of those things you never wont to use to there potentian but murphy happenes and your shure glad you were using it. just a question how offten do you stand in standing water. i have never tryed snowseal but am always looking for better product if it will protect my investment

rjb: don't feel too bad about having a sturdy Red Wing boot. An old pair that really wasn't meant to protect from chainsaws saved my foot (along with some help from The Man upstairs).
I try not to stand in water, especially if I am not wearing my rubber boots.:msp_smile:
Snowseal will not make leather boots absolutely waterproof, but is great for use in snow - it has always keep my feet dry, except for those few times I found myself in water deep enough to reach the laces and leak in around the tonge.

Bob R

Latest posts

Back