Which one...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith c raymond

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Am looking for a large displacement saw to round out my flock.It will be used occaisionly but often enough.I will buy used but new if I have to.The question is which one.Ive got dealers for them all close enough.My choices aredown to these three, PS9010 Dolmar,395xp Husky,660Mag Stihl, Ive had experience with Stihl and Husky large displacement stuff,but what about the Dolmar?what do you all think?Dont hold back now,Lets have it.

Keith, I have a brand new Makita DCS9000 (slightly older than the DCS9010) on sale right now. Power head only for $600, or with a 36" GB Titanium bar and chisel chain for $660. Other bar and chain sizes are available.

That being said, the Stihl 066/MS660 is hands down the best saw in the 90cc class. The Dolmar/Makita is not that far off, especially for the price above. It is a little heavier, and a little less powerful, and lacks the side chain tensioner and combined controls. It does have the inboard clutch, though. Your PS-7900 will probably cut right with the DCS9000 with anything less than a 20" bar.

Stay away from the older used PS-9000. They had a bearing that was prone to failure as a result of overheating a plastic cage in the bearing.

394's are good saws, I know lots of guys who prefer them to the newer 395 (basically the same saw, just some tuning differences). They just aren't quite as good as an 066.

Hard to choose in that size class because of the quality offered by all manufactures. I dont belive anybody sells a homeowner quality 80-90cc saw. Choice is between brand loyalty and local dealer support I guess? I got the 660 for no other reason than brand loyalty, otherwise it would have been a Dolmar from Tony

large saw

The only large saw in the 90 cc range I will run is a stihl 066 it is the best saw out their. I have used one for over 4 years now and it has been a great saw I could not have asked for a better more powerful saw for the money. I would buy one and some extra bars and chains and never look back.

Back