Which saw, MS361-MS440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I will respectfully disagree but yield to the superior experience of this forum.:buttkick:

Maybe I should prune roses with my 7900 -:)

I was agreeing with you! Everyone screams weight until it comes to a bigger saw to do the same particuliar job and then the weight issue is no longer a problem, except it's when someone is asking about the 290-390 saws then it's "That thing is too heavy"
:greenchainsaw:

Better to have the power and not need it, than need the power and not have it... Otherwise, I don't know a thing about the saws you are talking about.. just that I would sure as heck get the bigger one if I had to choose between the 2.

Better to have the power and not need it, than need the power and not have it... Otherwise, I don't know a thing about the saws you are talking about.. just that I would sure as heck get the bigger one if I had to choose between the 2.

I agree.

In retrospect, I should have gotten the 440 - there are times when I could have used more power.

Thanks for the replys. I kinda figured the 440 would win out on here. Lol. I have a 260 Pro now and love it. Recently I had to cut some pretty big dead elm and it was working the 260 hard. I need a bigger saw for sure. I was trying to figure out if it was feasable to use one saw for everything or keep 2 saws. I'm more of a weekend warrior so I don't need a huge arsenal of saws. I have the hook on a new 440 and would hate to let it slip thru my fingers. The 361 is a nice compromise between the 260 and 440 though.

The 029 is the best "one saw".. I'll trade you mine for your 260 and your all set

I like both... but my "go to" saw is still a 361.

I don't notice much difference between the two. The 440 is only marginally heavier and handles the +20" better, but with a sharp chain the 361 is very fast in the sub 20" stuff.

I do notice the weight difference when I step up to either my 441 which is a lot torquier than my 440 or my 460 which is a screaming demon.

Did I mention the 7900?

oh boy this is fun

if iz only had to own one saw it would have to be loud and big in the umph department.the 440 or 441 wil run any bar over 16".the 361 is only really suited too one bar and that is a 18" bar and full skip:dizzy: :chainsaw:

I only consider my woods ported ,3 port muffler modded, 036 to be a limbing saw. It wears a 16" ES bar with a 9 pin & is good for thick bark coastal oaks up to 10 or 12". Sure I could chuck up the 25" bar & run full skip with a 7 pin but it would be straining & boging. I know I'll probably get some arguement here but in my book even with the mods it's still a small caliber saw.

stock.....440 all day long for me

modded, 440 all day long.

I've ran a couple 361's, but really prefer my modded ms360 over it. With that said, it sits in favor of the 440. Mine wears a 20" bar and cuts only hardwood.

The 360/036 and 361 are more of a 16" and down saw imo.

and what is the perfect two saw combo? hahahahahha

pssst, here's a hint.....I've got the perfect two saw combo in three brands and they are all great.

The 440 all the way. It's a no brainer--it's sweet. Mine likes to ride on the log splitter and makes the Farm Boss and 361 sit in the dirt.

You guys are forgetting the question. It's not "what's the most capable saw", it's what's best for "mostly 12"-20" cutting". I stand by my answer that it's the 361.

The 440 is extra dead weight for something a 361 could easily handle.

Nope.

Like I said, no matter the question I'd rather have 440.

You will not find a better combo than the 440 and 260.

I know at least three:

5100 / 7900
2153 / 2171
346 / 372

My answer to the original question is the 361, must be so much nicer to limb with and bucking 12-20" shouldn't be a problem.

I would consider the 5100/7900, the other 2, not so much.........

+1. 5100 leaves the 026 in the dust and the 7900 gives you about 20% output improvement over the 440 without a weight penalty.

I wouldn't even begin to know where to look for a Dolmar saw. We have 1 husky dealer and a bunch of Stihl dealers around. I'm really surprised the 361 isn't getting more votes. It seems to have a large following lately.

I'm really surprised the 361 isn't getting more votes. It seems to have a large following lately.

You need to realize that there's a natural bias here at AS that "bigger is better".

However what hasn't been mentioned is the condition of the saw's operator. If you're highly experienced with a chainsaw, built like Paul Bunyon and if efficiency if everything then go big.

If you're an occasional user then you really need to understand your physical limitations. Running a big saw can result in fatigue and fatigue can lead to accidents.

I believe strongly in matching the saw to the job in order to minimize fatigue. I've used 046/066's and they'll wear you out quickly especially for tasks like limbing but they're great at bucking which is less physical demanding because you're not holding the full weight of the saw for most of the cut. I usually use a combination of 3 saws for each project.

Try out both saws if you can. They are both good choices.

Last edited:
I think if I had to go with one saw, it would be the 440 over the 361, simply because you have greater capacity when you do need it for large trees. I've been using an 038 magnum for years as my one saw, and would hate to go down in power from that. It is heavy, but you get used to it (038 weighs as much as a 460). Get the 440 before it is too late.

Latest posts

Back