Which Saw Should I get? 400C-M, 500i, 661C-M?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here‘s my thoughts, if the OP really is spending his time in the really hard woods I’d choose from the following;

Ms400 18” bar
Ms462 20” bar
Ms500 25” bar
Ms661 28” + bar

Just my thoughts.

For me.

400 20"/24"
462 20"/28"
500i 25"/32"
661 28"+

This makes me laugh. How do you know the pleated filter doesn't have significantly more surface area to increase durations between services? Or that not servicing it more frequently ends with longer saw life because of less risk from getting debris in the intake during service (which is exactly what was found to be the case on long haul trucks)?

Show me some conclusive data the filter doesn't seal...not just OMG I found some dirt inside when I serviced it and maybe was rough getting it off and jarred some inside!!

To the OP...I agree with the post above on saws and bar lengths. Mag piston has been the wholly grail of performance engines for a while, but not I'd but the 400 over the 500 when the mass isn't that different but power output is.
The filter area isnt the issue. Why subject the filter to a bunch of junk in the first place when you don't have to?
Fallers have reported issues with the filter. I don't know for certain as I haven't ran one. Honestly don't real care either.
The mag piston isn't the holy grail either. Dow Chrmical was making them back in the 30's in a strato saw it does solve the problem of a heavy rotating assembly. In most engines however the pros don't out weigh the cons hence mag pistons have never been real popular.

The filter area isnt the issue. Why subject the filter to a bunch of junk in the first place when you don't have to?
Fallers have reported issues with the filter. I don't know for certain as I haven't ran one. Honestly don't real care either.
The mag piston isn't the holy grail either. Dow Chrmical was making them back in the 30's in a strato saw it does solve the problem of a heavy rotating assembly. In most engines however the pros don't out weigh the cons hence mag pistons have never been real popular.
F1 looked at mag extensively in the 80s and couldn't make it work. The cooling and heat transfer / combustion issues that arise are the real issues, and If the cons could easily be mitigated, every engine would have them. Stihl has a big advantage in this area as they've cast mag for a very long time and have a long history of lessons learned on it.

Aside from some limited engines in history, not many have used them. Maybe grail is the wrong word for today, but it was in the early 2000s, especially in racing circles.

As far as why the filter is subjected to debris - I agree it's a poor design from that standpoint. Program managers setting deadlines or bean counters got their way is my guess. But I do think the surface area is sufficient for it to be used several times without really performance issues....I put an outerwear on it basically to prevent pleats from clogging. I've used them for years on dune toys and they work great...hell even have one on my shop vac filter to lengthen its life.

F1 looked at mag extensively in the 80s and couldn't make it work. The cooling and heat transfer / combustion issues that arise are the real issues, and If the cons could easily be mitigated, every engine would have them. Stihl has a big advantage in this area as they've cast mag for a very long time and have a long history of lessons learned on it.

Aside from some limited engines in history, not many have used them. Maybe grail is the wrong word for today, but it was in the early 2000s, especially in racing circles.

As far as why the filter is subjected to debris - I agree it's a poor design from that standpoint. Program managers setting deadlines or bean counters got their way is my guess. But I do think the surface area is sufficient for it to be used several times without really performance issues....I put an outerwear on it basically to prevent pleats from clogging. I've used them for years on dune toys and they work great...hell even have one on my shop vac filter to lengthen its life.
The 1921 Indy 500 winner had Dow Metal(MG) pistons. Time will tell if they work well in saws.

Well my Stihl 291 got pinched out of my tool box, and as a result I'm in need of a new saw, and decided why not upgrade to something a bit bigger, now I use a 500i, 661C-M and an 880 at work and they're fantastic saws, but they're big, and considering what i use my personal saw/s for which I'd like you guys opinions, now I'm not a small bloke, I'm a strong 6'3 farmer, I'll be cutting mainly firewood, little clearing, trimming and what not around the farm, I'm in Australia so what I'm cutting is generally very dry, and/or very hard, such as red gum, red box, iron bark, I'll be using tungsten chains, and probably an 18"-20" bar usually, So i guess the question is what saw do you guys think i should be getting, I'm not opposed to getting another saw or two in a little if i do end up cranking up my firewood business, I'll also be wanting to take the saw camping with me when i go 4x4ing, but i can also look at a smaller saw for that purpose too if that would be more suited.

Buy these saws: MS462 , MS661 , 592xp , EA7901
After cutting with these you then narrow down your choice to 2 saws.
Discard the other 2 unwanted saws by sending them to: My Address NJ USA

Follow this procedure each year to make sure you are completely satisfied.

If the ms291 was adequate and all you need is a 20 inch bar then a ms362 or ms400 would be awesome especially it your taking it camping or in a 4x4. I usually bring my poulan if I'm mud riding and a battery saw for my camper because its quiet and wont disturb other campers.

Back