which saw to buy????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUKON 659

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I know I'm going to start another huge debate but I have to ask any how. I'm going to buy a new saw, either Stihl or Husky. Based on what I've read from you guys the last couple of days, I've decided to buy a pro model. The only prblem is what size cu. in. & bar length? ( I just got rid of an 034). I heat with wood and cut a lot of firewood for myself and my neighbor. Most of the trees are 20" or less. Any thoughts????

You didn't mention why you got rid of the 034. Was it worn out? Was it too big, too small, too heavy, not powerful enough? Are you set on Stihl or Husky or would you consider Solo, or the new John Deere (Efco) saws, or Dolmar (Makita). What's you're price range? I just helped a guy pick out a new saw and we decided on the John Deere CS-56. He ended up paying about $330 for a pro quality saw. This saw has almost identical specs to the 034, a two year consumer warranty, and so far he's tickled pink. Give me some more info, and I could make some more suggestions.

Last edited:
I'm a stihl guy,just pick the model you like...as long as it's an 026,036,044,046,or an 038 if you can find one.I use my 026 for everything under 20" unless it's dead hardwood like madrona that'll throw sparks from the chain,only grab the big saw for big wood.Huskys are good saws too,just don't do much for me.I might look into solo and dolmar myself,seem like great saws and maybe save a few bucks.All that said I vote 026,not the pro. great firewood saw you can run all day without getting tired(cutting firewood is enough work without lugging a heavy saw around)

yukon,
i replaced the 034 with the husky 357xp. real nice saws now. i had big trouble with first one. they cut very well. if you wish to go larger, the 372xp is smooth and fast. if you decide on husky let me know and i will send you a price page. these prices can not be beat. i have looked every place. protect yourselves; marty

wicch saw to buy????

Believe it or not, the main reason I got rid of the saw was because of the chain tensioner (front of the saw, right next to the bar,very inconvienent!!) The saw also needed a new bar, sprocket, chains etc. If those aren't enough excuses I guess I just wanted to get a new saw. I'd like to keep the price around $500. Thanks

If $500.00 is about your price range, buy yourself a 372XP Husky.They are a great saw.List price is over $600.00 but you can find one for a little over$500.00. Put a 18 or 20 " bar on it and keep it sharp,and you`ll fall in love with it.

I guess we can get that 'new saw' bug sometimes. As strong as those old Stihls are, I would have priced out a new side cover with side tensioner, along with bar, chain, sprocket and a tune-up for good measure. Probably less than $200 to make that old saw like new!

(I once traded in a pickup truck with a crumpled fender and worn brakes to buy a new truck. The old truck had a new engine and tranny, no rust and good A/C. I spent $12K instead of $1000 for bodywork and brakes!):confused:

I would agree with the 372XP being a good saw, after all, I own one. If you can't get a 372XP in your price range, I'd suggest the 357XP. The 362XP or 365 would also be a good choice for a little less then the 372XP. (There's a brand new 365 on ebay right now). I do like the Stihl 036, but don't think you'll find one under $500 new. I guess your need for the side chain tensioner would eliminate most other saws, otherwise I would suggest the John Deere CS-62, which has a better power to weight ratio then a 357XP, and could be bought for a little over $400.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2009273490&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1016323280&indexURL=0&rd=1

Last edited:
New saw

Yukon,

I would like to reinforce the recommendation of an EFCO 962/John Deere CS62 as the best in that size class for the money. ( the 956/CS56 runs just about as strong with .325 chain at $50 less )

I do not sell over the internet, but the EFCO version is $399 in this town. The John Deere seems to go for a few dollars more.

These are good durable saws, designed apparently just before the power to weight race got carried a little too far, they have the good porting and metal crankcases.

Ya'll stand back

got to agree w/chainsawworld and TonyM on this one. (don't know about John Deer saws, my advice is don't) i love my 357wxp. i like it better every time i use it. look @/features, snap fit top cover, side tensioner, and one i don't remember hearing here is an opaque? or something (handle/gas tank).. that allows you to see gas level. really nice, i think. keeps you from running your saw out of gas(lube). always wanted a stihl, looked at the specs, price, and info from here, and opted for the 357. check it out.

If $500.00 is about your price range, buy yourself a 372XP Husky

thats quite amazing... tell me where you can get a 372 for under $600. w/exception of Canada. (and ebay). 610 or so, out the door, is about as cheap as i've found that saw in the usa.

I guess we can get that 'new saw' bug sometimes.

My 91 Tempo crapped out on me yesterday. 201,372 miles. when it died, i got my stuff out and walked away. well i did. had planned to bid on a saw that evening. but after that, well i was kinda sick.. the next day, i borrowed a car to drive for a couple of weeks, and am looking at saws to buy...sick

good luck
:(

Wood Studs!

Do you guys really cut heating wood with those big saws you mentioned? I tell you what, I thought I was tough but...I can't safely run a saw heavier than about 10-12 lbs. when I'm cutting firewood. I would imagine most guys are like I am and will cut firewood 6-8 hours at a time. If I ran those biggin's that long, I wouldn't be able to raise my arms high enough to wash my face afterward!
My opinion (and that's all it is) is to stay in the 50-60cc and 10-12 lbs. range for firewood. Especially for the size trees (20") you mentioned you were dropping. I don't want to sound like an old lady but, safety is important to me. More saw = More fatigue.
More fatigue = More chance for accidents. 026Pro, Solo 651, 357XP...plenty of saw for heating wood.
Good luck and be careful!

Seesaw,
You stole my thunder. I too think the 372XP or even the 044,046 are way too big for what he wants to do. For firewood less than 20" logs go with the 026 or Husky 346XP, if youu feel the need for extra juice then 357XP. I cut firewood for usually 8hrs at aclip and luggin' one of those big saws around just doesn't make sense. Don't get me wrong I love my 066 and 394XP but wouldn't want to cut with them for 8hrs.

Woodho

I cut a lot of wood, as well as cut trees down for pay sometimes, and I am not bothered by a little too big of a saw. Maybe my conditions are somewhat different than others, but I usually cut firewood in this way:
I pull up with a truck and trailer, fire up the saw and start cutting blocks until I feel I have a good load, or until all the stems I plan to make wood from are blocked up in that spot. The most that ever lasts is about 3 hours or so, with breaks for gassing up and maintenance, etc.

The hard work is splitting, loading and unloading.

You guys are great. Reading these replies, and previous threads, sounds like I might be lookig at a Husky 357xp with a 16" or 18" bar. The 036 and the 372xp also sound like good saws for a few more bucks. Do you think any local dealer would match or come close to matching internet prices? Will I pi$$ him of by asking? Thanks again Yukon!!!!

Yukon...I am like you, heat with wood. Use my saw mostly for that, plus cut a few trees down for people. I just sold my 036 and regret it. I will own another some time. I got an MS460, it is a lot of saw! I feel the best all around saw (MY OPINION) is the Stihl 036. Plenty of power, light weight. You will probably want a bigger saw later if you get an 026. You can get an 036 for about $499.00. I recommend going to a dealer, too. He is the guy to take care of you later. If you tell him you've been shopping, I bet he will deal with you, and cut you a nice price.

I use my 372XP for firewood cutting, but in conjunction with a Solo 651. I trim and cut up the little stuff with the Solo, and then fire up the 372 for bucking up the trunks and bigger stuff. I have used the 372 exclusively, but only when I have help using my other saws, and it is a little heavy, but not so bad I feel unsafe. I also use the 372 for ripping chuncks that take more than 4-5 whacks of the ax to split. If I was buying a single saw for firewood cutting, I'd stay in the 11.5-12.5 lb range, 55-60 cc. Again, the 357XP seems to fit the bill.

When I cut a load of fuelwood logs, I pass over the 026 and 036 in favour of the 066 with just a 20" bar. Don't forget that the 066 will outcut the peanut saws 2:1, so I can get more work done in less time - more time to seek refreshments afterwards.

I have to agree with eyolf. For a firewood cutter on the east coast, cutting time is not the primary constraint. I could cut a butt-load of wood with my crappy Poulan, but it was the hauling it out that was the real work. The 40-50cc range - considered by many as girlie saws - can cut a lot of ???? firewood.

I'm no strapping lumberjack, so I would second the recommendations of seesaw. Also - find the dealer that will help you out late on a weekend. That's big if you are not the world's best saw mechanic.

Steve

Latest posts

Back