Which saw would you pick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supercut469

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all, I do my own fire wood, about 6 cords per year of maple, birch, most of it is 6 to 10 inches diameter. My one and only saw is a new Stihl MS 250 which I find works excellant for what I use it for and for what I payed.

I have a neighbor who has offered me my choice of his 2 saws for $100. Which saw would you pick of these two for a backup firewood saw for me:

1) MS170 used for about 4 hours
2) A VERY well used MS064 which he bought used. Can you judge compression by the effort of the pull cord? It is much easier to pull than my 250's cord. As far as I know his 064 does not have a decomp valve so does this mean the ring/piston/cylinder is worn?

What do you think of these prices because the guy is a very good family friend who's helped us out 1000 times and would give you the shirt off his back. He does not know saw prices but I could not live with myself if I felt like I ripped him off.

Buy the 064, hands down it is worth well over $100 just for the parts and will be all the saw you will ever need. Comp releases are just an option to make starting easier.

Does he need the money worse than he needs the saws?

A one day used MS170 that looks new is probably $150-200 on fleabay, and I'd think a complete 064 would be likewise or higher.

If he genuinely wants to help you out by giving you a cheap saw, fine, but don't buy from him at those prices and turn around and resell if you value his friendship.

If you're worried about the compression on the big saw, hold it up by the starter cord and see how fast it ratchets down.

The real question here is do you want your MS250 to be your big saw or your little saw?

If 064 isn't all busted up, buy both. You can sell the 064
for $200 easy and then you will have a free MS170

I think my 066, not using the decomp, pulls easier than my 044 without a decomp. My 066 has 155 psi, so I don't know if how hard it pulls is a good test or not.

If someone offered me an 064 for 100 bucks and it looked half decent and ran. I buy it. Even if it needs a top end your still money ahead.

You sound like a good person and a good friend. You're happy with the 250, and with the size wood your cutting, it's a good saw. I think the 170 would be a fine backup for you. So buy it and return the favor to your neighbor by helping him sell the 064 for what it's really worth.

You sound like a good person and a good friend. You're happy with the 250, and with the size wood your cutting, it's a good saw. I think the 170 would be a fine backup for you. So buy it and return the favor to your neighbor by helping him sell the 064 for what it's really worth.

That would be the good neighbor thing to do. :clap:

064 all the way 100 bucks
base gasket 5 bucks
2 rings from stihl 60 bucks
1 sheet 600 emory paper for cyl. 2 bucks
carb kit 12 bucks
= 500.00 saw

hmmm .......let me think about it

Back