Which would you prefer MS046 or MS0462

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stihl046 are antiquated and the limiting factor is the windows in the pistons.
In no way do they compare to a Huskt 4 transfer XP cylinder of the same vintage. And also why they never ran like a Husky in hardwood.
That's a fair accessment. Keeping an early Husky in one peice was the issues first for those. Too much plastic and not enough machine threads.

One other comment. The majority of the guys mentioning Stihls of the era we are talking being more reliable and better perfoming than Huskys have never worn out a saw in their lives nor run one all day for years on end
This is true of many users. Never wore out a set of rings or pto seal x2 😆
The 660 is turd in stock form. Never ran any better than an 064. That is a 390 heads up match.
I prefer something more forgiving like a 361 based on the average tree size we get here doing residential removal. Until moving into bigger dead hardwoods the 660 and 066 didn't get used much. The bow probably clocked the most hours next to a 361 in my stables. Echo was always a distant third but always reliable to pick up slack when others Husky 36x had more parts fall off. If they sold all of them with blue locktite the market share would have been bigger for average size saws from 50 -78cc imho. Ported 372 is stout runner. We just never get many here. I have a 385 jug to port and give to someone for testing or purchase. No chassis here for those. All 394 and 5 stuff is all I kept over the years. 435 survives somehow into year seven. It is out on lend to a 310 farm boss user. Man those things are heavy 😆

There were about 15 different 066/660 cylinder iterations just in the US over those years. I’m pretty certain you could change the scenario around and find a good one in the US compared to a ****** one in Oz as well. A larger or smaller jet isn’t going to change anything. And a small single hole in the muffler isn’t going to be night and day different either
The dual port muffler is fairly useful on longer bars and milling. A 660 that ran decent with dirty ugly transfer port areas was about the same with a small hole muffler verses the dual port cover added when running RS full comp 91dl in oak. Switching to the 36 or 40 and you need that extra port so it does not cook it. Just my experience with them. Running tools pig fat ain't my thing milling or otherwise.

I have seen ten different ones. You have likely seen more by now. I kept the six best for my purposes. All the high exhaust numbers get sold off. They tend to have the longest intake time and run the best on stock saws or modded a bit. As you know the rest can be fixed if we start with a 97 or 98 exhaust. I seen 94 in stock jugs. Gasket delete and the long stock blowdown runs decent for what it is as a dual port work tool. An enlarged single exit was what I ran on the 066 for years. It still doesn't have machine work. All the rest was done. A ported carb didn't change a thing without serious port work being done. It's so mild and easy to use with only a 98 exhaust, base gasket delete, plugged decomp first year 660 cylinder. I found the early 066 original jug for it and doubt it runs any better in stock form. It does have a 99 exhaust bgd.

Husky has better intake flow and more area earlier in the intake port on the 85cc plus models. That coupled with quads is the big win. The rest can be adjusted without filler or other "fixes". Milling... the old 1122 dog is good to go. I don't have all day to pickup screws so I bought this for team 🍊 🟧

Screenshot_20240316_105219_Chrome.jpg

I ran 4 372's when I was logging and had very little issues with them. I also ran a Stihl 440. Again very little issues, but lasted no longer than the 372's. Also had a early Dolmar 7900. Didn't make it through it's first season before I spun it off.
Which model Huskies did you run, what were the problems you had and how long did they last?
First I had a new 55 about 1 to 2years. +1st off oiler wouldn't keep up and replaced it and shortly after would not run right.Took about a year to get it to run correctly long and well enough to cut a pickup load of wood and then i anxiously sold it for about 1/2 what i paid for it. I don't know how many problems i fixed or thought i was. It usually would run fine test cuts after a little this and that with fine tuning at home and then fail me shortly after getting in the woods .Eventually i took it to another dealer that replaced the carb and it run well until i sold it. After loosing an newish 066 in an accident, all I had was the 55 that couldn't cut a pickup load of wood most the time i had it and i was near broke from buying the 2 saws close together and needed income from chainsawing. Got back into business fixing repairable saws to cut wood reliably.
Thought I needed a 372 after I learned to use the internet and found AS . Snagged a used 1 on ebay and after about 3 weeks going through what i did with the 55 found someone to buy it as is and the dealer replaced the ignition and the buyer used it about a season, then sold it and bought a new one. Not sure if he had any more problems but evidently he didn't think it was best to keep that particular 372.

First I had a new 55 about 1 to 2years. +1st off oiler wouldn't keep up and replaced it and shortly after would not run right.Took about a year to get it to run correctly long and well enough to cut a pickup load of wood and then i anxiously sold it for about 1/2 what i paid for it. I don't know how many problems i fixed or thought i was. It usually would run fine test cuts after a little this and that with fine tuning at home and then fail me shortly after getting in the woods .Eventually i took it to another dealer that replaced the carb and it run well until i sold it. After loosing an newish 066 in an accident, all I had was the 55 that couldn't cut a pickup load of wood most the time i had it and i was near broke from buying the 2 saws close together and needed income from chainsawing. Got back into business fixing repairable saws to cut wood reliably.
Thought I needed a 372 after I learned to use the internet and found AS . Snagged a used 1 on ebay and after about 3 weeks going through what i did with the 55 found someone to buy it as is and the dealer replaced the ignition and the buyer used it about a season, then sold it and bought a new one. Not sure if he had any more problems but evidently he didn't think it was best to keep that particular 372.
The 55 back in the day had a great reputation. Bulletproof saw and although not a pro saw it was constructed like one. The fact you had issues with one is telling.
The 372 likewise has a sterling reputation.
The fact you had issues with both tells you are either FOS or don't know the first thing about chainsaws.

The 55 back in the day had a great reputation. Bulletproof saw and although not a pro saw it was constructed like one. The fact you had issues with one is telling.
The 372 likewise has a sterling reputation.
The fact you had issues with both tells you are either FOS or don't know the first thing about chainsaws.
Fact is, it tells you I had 2 lemons and you are not as smart as you think you are.

Latest posts

Back