Who does good porting work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completely understand all of this but how guys to find these type of builders/porters? In my area their is none, hardly any logging, mostly firewood cutting so not many pro saws even. That is why to come to forum pages and ask. I have never been a fan of blow hards and big advertisers essentially begging for work like some do/did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you can visit a member with ported saw and try it out you will want one. If you cannot get ur hands on one and have no oportunity to ever run one then dont spend the money for a ported saw. I never knew what i was missing until i got HD tv. Now i have to pay more for HD smart tv and dish because i cant go back!!!

@blsnelling

Has ported at least 12 saws for me

Meticulous builder

Momma always saID if you look and listen very very cAreful you can learn an AWful loWt about a mAins chainsAWs he IS mAKin.

I'm a Husqvarna guy and I love @blsnelling style of Building. They have all four components; Jump, shift, peak & perform.A guy wouldn't need a builder
to suit their needs as a softwood Faller with Brad's 390 & 372, I could guarantee it. A" stands for attitude. A+

@Gologit said there are guys that build
there that would build to suit @mdavlee (Mike Lee)
Comes to mind as one of those guys that has that versatile demeanor. smart! yeah a Very well rounded guy.

I didn't know he did porting. He was doing chain grinding and I sent him half a dozen chains. He did a square grind and they are awesome.

Tree Slingr' is very good. He did a 660 for me that was probably the best work saw I ever had.

If you can visit a member with ported saw and try it out you will want one. If you cannot get ur hands on one and have no oportunity to ever run one then dont spend the money for a ported saw. I never knew what i was missing until i got HD tv. Now i have to pay more for HD smart tv and dish because i cant go back!!!
I can live without HD tv..... Currently I don't even have cable. Same goes for a ported saw. They are fun and run good but I don't particularly miss mine. A correctly tuned saw with a sharp chain is just as satisfying

Tree Slingr' is very good. He did a 660 for me that was probably the best work saw I ever had.
Right on, 'Street'cred for Tree Slingr'.
It's important to have the 'all in one' saw for the 'one saw does all' guys.
Is this type really that much of a minority? I guess not, I think you nailed it in your first post. Much of the reality is outside of here. *Snickers*

Modded saws have their purpose and for those of us who make a living sawing wood or in my case cutting the nasty weakened burned crap I want the fastest cutting saw I can get. Less time being under these tree/snags. Now for those that are recreational sawyers who just run a saw occasionally and your life does not depend on your equipment than a stack saw with a well maintained sharp chain will do you fine.

That's a very good point.. once you get the better stuff.. going back to stock is just boring.. Few Porsche owners go back to a Honda and say they're happy while driving it.
I have done a few saws for friends, and lots for myself.. I *just* finished my second 394, and I really like the way it runs.
This was the first one I did, I think the second despite being a "quick" job (didn't degree anything, just eyed it) turned out better.. so I'll have to go back and see what I did right.. I know I got the squish set tight

Here's a vid of the first one I did, it's a green fir, 34" bar with out-of-the-box Stihl chain. That saw is my neighbors.

Do your homework . ask plenty of questions to the builders . I own Saws done by Randy aka Mastermind, Terry aka wicked work saw , mike Lee , Dozerdan , tri955 . everyone of them will answer questions for you . . keep us posted on who you decided on . alot of things play into your decisions on this matter. Treemonkey Scott I met at a gtg very nice guy very smart too .
Chris

I've dealt with a handful of different builders/porters and owned/sold nearly 500 used saws in the last 2-3 years:)
Feel free to ask me about porters I have dealt with :)

Things to consider when getting a saw ported - all important in no particular order
GENERAL CONSIDERATIONS
porting a saw voids your factory warranty, some dealerships wont ever replace a rim sprocket on a modified saw.
If you like cheap gas and crappy oil in poor ratios, it is a lot worse on the health of a ported saw.
A ported saw is almost always louder as muffler modifications are necessary to keep a modified engine cool.
Most often you will need to ship your saw to a builder, there are saw mod guys all over the world but if you don't already have a local guy you trust, don't be afraid to send your saw to a guy with a good reputation.

BUILDER SPECIFIC CONSIDERATIONS
reputation of porter - do they communicate with their clients well, deliver on time, back up their work
porter schedule and waitlist
saws they specialize in/prefer to work on
what length bar are you gonna use and in what type of wood
are you looking for an everyday all-day work saw or a GTG ready funsaw :)
some builders/porters prefer to work on only new/nearly new saws, others will do a complete rebuild/case split for usually a modest additional fee

I am sure there are others
Dave

If you're like me and the rest of the fine chaps around here....you'll warranty your own work because the value of reputation is priceless.
I'm sure I can speak for most when I say this, but when I take on a port job for a customer I prefer a saw that has low hours or one that has a recently rebuilt bottom end. It's not a good idea to take an old well used saw to hop up so you can get more life out of it. The bearings will fail or something else will break.
Also, folks can clean up their own saws before bringing them in. It's like washing your butt the day you go in for a prostate exam, sure he's not going to complain if you don't do it, but he won't like it.

My thoughts exactly. Why exactly does a saw that specs out at 7.1 hp need help??!!! o_O

You have a point. With a short bar in small wood...the kind you skid with your riding lawnmower, Philip...it probably wouldn't make much difference.

But hang a 36" or a 42" or even a 60" bar on a saw that size and bury it clear to the tip in big wood all day long. You'll see then what a well modded saw can do. Big difference.
If you're working production and getting paid by the foot a modded saw will pay for itself pretty quick.

Latest posts

Back