Who is available for a "hot" ported Stihl 241 saw these days?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid Post

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and my "go to" MS 362SM is too hard on me. I need a lighter chainsaw with enough guts to pull at least a 16" bar with an 18" being slightly preferred. While I won't be cutting 80' pine or mature Hackberry with this saw, I would like it to have enough guts to tackle occasional 'big' jobs on my and my mother's farms. When I'm back to 100% it is going to be my trimming saw and what I use for reasonable size firewood and I will put the 362 and 461 back into service for the large stuff I need to split and anything Hackberry (that stuff is like iron when dry and wet it's a tough wood to cut with my 362).

I'm pretty heavily biased to a 241CM (that CM stuff on my 362 is the cat's meow) for local dealer support which is pretty thin for Husqvarna and Jonsered. However, I'm not totally against branching out to other brands of similar quality IF I have some local dealer support here in East Texas.

TIA,
Sid

Not sure what you are trying to say, or if you are asking a question, or wanting help, or wanting to buy something, or just talking. Pain meds are awesome :)

Is a ported 241 a good purchase option for me? Would it cut well enough to not bog down with a 16" bar in reasonable firewood sized stuff?

Regarding pain meds, yes I have been on OTC Naproxen/Aleve (upto 12 a day under doctors orders) which worked well for me but, Doc moved me on to Celebrex when I voiced concerns about over use of OTC meds. The opioids have never really done much for me but, Doc had me try some of those as well. Physical Therapy is where it is at for me. Pain meds are fine for short term use in my book but, they aren't a long term solution for normal things.

When I recover fully from my shoulder surgery, I hope to be totally off all pain meds and able to run my 362 and 461. However until that day comes I need to find a lighter saw that is easier to handle (safer) and has enough power to be a reasonable tool on the farms.

Who are the better "porters" for this saw or a comparable one from a different manufacturer.

Why not consider an MS261 C-M?...instead of a ported 241...negligible weight difference btwn the two saws, and you can possibly skip on the porting theory and keep the money in your wallet. My .02 cents...

I agree with the 261c over the 241. I ran the 2 before and now I want a 261c. Super light weight, and can run a 3/8" chain too.

I have a 261 and I love it but all the guys tell em a ported 241 is lighter and better for limbing etc.
Just recovering from shoulder, wrist and elbow surgery on my right arm and I considering the 241 and sending it to Brad.
he makes good gains with that model
Dave

Porting is going to make it harder to start, not easier. compression increase and timing advance, etc. I would think any choice of easy to start small saw, and maybe just a muffler mod at most.

if you are most concerned about pull starting and your shoulder, then have a look at the Dolmar with their EASY start. Not the lightest saws around,but evidently very well built and reliable.

The 261 starts just as easy as a 241, hardly and difference between the two weight wise but I know a couple of guys with the 241 and they prefer them over the 261, just can`t see much of a difference myself.

MS 241 C-M Specifications - Professional Use
DISPLACEMENT 42.6 cc (2.6 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 2.3 kW (3.1 bhp)
POWERHEAD WEIGHT 4.5 kg (9.9 Ibs.)
FUEL CAPACITY 370 cc (12.5 oz.)
CHAIN OIL CAPACITY 207 cc (7.0 oz.)
OILOMATIC® CHAIN 63 PS3
GUIDE BAR LENGTHS* (Recommended ranges) 30 to 40 cm (12" to 16")
STIHL ROLLOMATIC® E

MS 261 C-M Specifications - Professional Use
DISPLACEMENT 50.2 cc (3.06 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 2.9 kW (3.9 bhp)
POWERHEAD WEIGHT 5.2 kg (11.5 Ibs.)
FUEL CAPACITY 500 cc (16.9 oz)
CHAIN OIL CAPACITY 270 cc (9.13 oz)
OILOMATIC® CHAIN 26 RM3
GUIDE BAR LENGTHS* (Recommended ranges) 40 to 50 cm (16" to 20")
STIHL ROLLOMATIC® E

MS 362 C-M Specifications - Professional Use
DISPLACEMENT 59.0 cc (3.6 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 3.5 kW (4.69 bhp)
POWERHEAD WEIGHT Flush-Cut (Shown): 5.8 kg (12.8 lbs.)
Wrap-Handle: 6.2 kg (13.6 lbs.)
FUEL CAPACITY 600 cc (20.3 oz.)
CHAIN OIL CAPACITY 325 cc (11.0 oz.)
OILOMATIC® CHAIN 3/8" RS3
GUIDE BAR LENGTHS* (Recommended ranges) 40 to 63 cm (16" to 25")
STIHL ROLLOMATIC®

I have no issues starting my MS 362CM so, I don't think the smaller saws would be an issue either unless something crazy was done to the compression.

What appeals to me about the MS 241CM is the 9.9# weight and what seems like a good power match with a 14" or possibly a 16" bar.

The MS 261CM weighs 1.5#, more adds .8Bhp, ~4" of bar, and possibly a better 3/8ths chain option. My MS 362CM is 2.9# heavier, adds 1.6Bhp, and ... well the bar isn't that much longer but, when I was healthy I could really lean into it with a full chisel chain without bogging down in most wood I cut. It also took down some 80+" tall pine without any struggle. My problem with it is not the power, starting, or really anything other than too much weight especially with awkward positions clearing some unmanaged property.

Any "easy port" MS 241CM, muffler mod, etc. seems reasonable though, am I better off with the heavier but, unmodded (hence cheaper) MS 261CM? Is the heavier chain and increased bar worth the extra weight?

TIA,
Sid

Both are full of fuel and oil, ready to cut. The 261 weighs more than the 346.

40-L.jpg

41-L.jpg

Yep, that one looks like an easy starter. Dolmar is an unknown brand around here unfortunately but, it may be worth reconsidering.

Back