Who is still firing up their stove this season?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've let the fire go out in the OWB twice already, only to regret the decision. So it'll stay running until the nighttime lows get out of the 40's...Oh, and until the forecast doesn't call for rain/snow anymore! :bang: Might be ****** June at this rate! :bang:
Mine is off for the 2nd time as well.I'm going to try and leave it that way.

Hi Folks,

I've been having woodstove fires on/off through out this past week.
Will probably over the weekend also, as it is supposed to be cooler with wind & rain from the East off the Atlantic.

I'm the kind of wood burner that I read about in a very informative book that I just bought...

-The book is called: "The Woodburner's Companion, Practical Ways of Heating with Wood" by Dirk Thomas.

He classifies some wood burner's as: ..."they light their woodstove on Columbus Day, and burn until Memorial Day"...

Ya, that' me!
I Love it! Love wood stove fires, cuttin' wood, getting out in the woods, away from "civilization" and just lettin her rip!

(Well, I'm not all that enthused about cleaning out the ashes, but what can you do, huh)!
Enjoy your woodstove fires, I'm afraid that after the "non-Winter" that we had here in Connecticut this year, this coming Summer will make it 'Hotter than the surface of freakin' Mars'....300* hot that is.... I HATE the Summer heat & especially the high dew points!
NO fun cuttin' then!!!

Have a good weekend, all!

CTwoodnutt :rock:

Did I bump my head and get another account? Skippy?

Just kidding. This guy said everything I wanted to. I clean out the ashes once a week with an auger, though. There is a stainless steel tube in the bottom of the Heatmor. The guy who made these was like the Ultra Wonderchild Farmer-Engineer dude. Everything has a purpose, it works and it lasts.

woodburner

Yes we have cranked it up a couple of nights last week, starting to get a wee bit cool in the evenings now, and clear skys dont help, nothing to hold the heat in. but no frost yet, tomatoes and pumpkins are still ok, a sure sign is the fiejoas have ripened and started to fall, yummy,picking up bucketloads, that means things are cooling down. Down under we are 6 months ahead of you, we have summer at xmas. my wife still misses her white xmas then we have a barbie and go to the beach, all forgiven. She is a MI girl

As needed and 54 inside with 30's outside tonight fits the needed category so the woodfurnace is running to get things comfortable before swmbo comes home, and it'll probably run for the weekend. The offspring are making good use of their wagons, bringing the shoulder wood from the woods right into the house, close the outer door, then open the basement door and get a blast of warm air while they unload in a warm, dry environment.

When they were shown how much they had to bring in, " That's it? ".

They'll be done before I finish perusing AS and doing the dishes.

I'm still on my first match from last fall. The good thing about an OWB is when the weather is like this, I burn all of the wood that others pass over. Buring pine and some bass wood now. It don't take much to keep the boiler temp up around 160. I'll keep the fire going so we have hot water and some nights the furnace blower kicks still on. We'll burn until the people around here keep their windows open at night.

I'm still on my first match from last fall. The good thing about an OWB is when the weather is like this, I burn all of the wood that others pass over. Buring pine and some bass wood now. It don't take much to keep the boiler temp up around 160. I'll keep the fire going so we have hot water and some nights the furnace blower kicks still on. We'll burn until the people around here keep their windows open at night.

You should have a junk mail party with all the neighbors bringing it over along with sensitive documents and they can toss it all in while you reap the effortless heat.

I've been cranking it up about 5 nights a week, just one small load a day in the basement stove. I never really kept track, but I'm certain I've burned more wood already in April than I did in all of March. With our weird March weather, I went over 2 weeks without a fire.

I go by the inside temp when I get home from work about midnight, if it's below 60 in the house, I light a fire. Above 60, no fire.

Darn close to my system, except the period from friday afternoon to sunday night.

I hate to admit it, but it's been too warm to bother with the stove. I've turned the furnace on to bring it up from about 62 to 68 in the morning. It's on for all of 5 min or so. I think I'll be firing up the stove this weekend. It's supposed to be cold and wet for the next few days.

Some here and there. Real late before bed I'll light one, and kick it over in the morning. Let it go out during the day. Skip a few warm days, it gets back to cool and rainy, fire it up again. It's right at the edge you really don't need one, but it's nice anyway.

We've built a few smallish fires over the past week, mainly at night. It's cool and damp around these parts this time of year and the SheWolf don't like it cool and damp in her Den.

It got in the 80s last week and she was comfy with the windows open.

We can open windows during the day. But at night, ya want a fire.

Same here! :cheers:

You smoking funny weed or what ? :pumpkin2:
There's not a month that some kind of heat is needed. "Through with wood" ? :msp_scared:

And BTW: our BR windows are open at night year-round; good for what ails you. :msp_wink:

I've been playing the balancing act with the OWB. Feed the beast an arm load of wood in the evening and in the morning I shut the blower down so it doesn't cycle.
I had put the beast to sleap back a few weeks ago, but alas, I couple weeks ago I woke to the sound of LP burning :msp_scared:,,,I hate the sound of LP burning in the morning...

Still burning on and off here too. I have had the LP furnace running a couple of times----just to take the chill off. I dont like to run the thing but I do think it is good to use it some in the fall and spring to keep it in working condition(make sure it remembers how to work properly , just in case we need the back up heat source). In the evenings , when needed , I will light a fire in the Pacific Energy stove and load it just enough to burn slowly through the night and that does the job. Love the wood heat and love to watch the flames.

Ron

fire

I think we are going to keep the OWB going all summer(at least till we move it).Put a block of wood in yesterday somtime and still half laying there smouldering away,usuaully goes for 24 hrs.Makes for cheap hot water and still damp,chilly outside in the mornings

My OWB still going. I toss a few chunks in the evening and it will run 24hrs. Probably let her run till early May. Also heats my DHW.

Still burning here

I have a fire going right now but not to keep warm.

I have a problem in my house which is letting rain water seep in thru the foundation. While I am trying to fix the problem (read lots of time, money, backbreaking labor) my wife and son have moved to an apartment in town. My fire is working hard on trying to dry the house out while I dig the foundation up with a shovel. I know I will have some carpet and furniture that will be ruined by the water, but keeping a fire should hold off some of the mold and mildew that comes with these type of problems.

P.S. Anyone want to buy a very energy efficient house in the country with a few small problems? :wink2:

I re-lit my insert again this morning. First fire in a month. It was down around 40 outside and propane furnace kicked on 3 times while I was up with the baby feeding and changing her from 5 until 6. I turned it off and lit a small fire. Now it is 81 degrees outside and I am thinking maybe not my best idea.

Latest posts

Back