who is your main firewood helper/s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, my son isn't all that... coordinated. Hes still learning how to use his 13yo, 6'4 body. Its quite amusing at times.

Anyway... I have not felt any inclination to teach him how to run a chainsaw because frankly I don't trust that he wont hurt himself. So I, much like your father, "hey, its time to get up and do something" which for the kids means feeding the splitter and stacking.

Yesterday was supposed to be that day for him. I bought him a set of chaps and one of those Helmet, muffs, mask combos. I was going to let him try out the 241. As is typical for me, I try to let the neighbors wake up before I start making noise, they have until 7am because I cant wait any longer. His room is on the same side of the house where Im working.

As is typical fashion for me, I go in and bump him awake around 8. No sign of him at 1030 so I go bump him again. No sign of movement in the house until 230. I asked him "what the hell was that" to which he answers "I don't know."

Must be another growth spurt.

When I was in high school my Dad's version was "You can stay out as late as you like but you get one wakeup and you better be ready to work 30 minutes later." Worked for both of us.

20161025_215831_zpswmqr1ghs.jpg

Handiest tool I have. It always works when I turn the key. Now if it would only bring the splits in the basement......Usually takes about 45 min to an hour to move that to my basement. Wife will help usually, but she got a bun in the oven now, so it looks like it is all me this year....

That is over a cord of wood there too......skidloader had its pants full.

My 7 year old is getting really good at helping me stack wood. He loves going out in to the woods to bring up rounds with me. Last year I let him sit in the truck while I cut down a few trees then he got out while I cut them up. My 2 1/2 year old son lives for firewood. He'll say firewood and four wheeler in his sleep. Both days this weekend the first thing he said when he woke up was firewood, four wheeler, gloves. He absolutely loves it. He goes out with me to bring up the wood and stack it. Yesterday was the first time our 10 month old son helped. We were all playing in the leaves in the afternoon. I wanted to get the rest of the wood stacked. So, when they were tired of leaves I put the 10 month old in the Tula backpack carrier. All 3 boys were helping get it stacked. The 10 month old was sound asleep by the end. Then we all moved some electric fence for the goats. My wife a big pot of chili ready when we came inside. It was a great afternoon.

My 7 year old is getting really good at helping me stack wood. He loves going out in to the woods to bring up rounds with me. Last year I let him sit in the truck while I cut down a few trees then he got out while I cut them up. My 2 1/2 year old son lives for firewood. He'll say firewood and four wheeler in his sleep. Both days this weekend the first thing he said when he woke up was firewood, four wheeler, gloves. He absolutely loves it. He goes out with me to bring up the wood and stack it. Yesterday was the first time our 10 month old son helped. We were all playing in the leaves in the afternoon. I wanted to get the rest of the wood stacked. So, when they were tired of leaves I put the 10 month old in the Tula backpack carrier. All 3 boys were helping get it stacked. The 10 month old was sound asleep by the end. Then we all moved some electric fence for the goats. My wife a big pot of chili ready when we came inside. It was a great afternoon.
love it! hard to beat a family operation...

I had a chocolate lab that went to the woods with me. Wasn't to help however it was to play fetch. Always bringing me a small chunk of wood to throw and she was happy chasing it all day.

I had a 40 year old worth less piece of useless meat for a son. I tried to get him to help out around the place like doing fire wood but he would PISS and MOAN till his mom would tell me to let them be kids while they were kids. Today she knows the errors of her way. Only good thing is the kid has held a job for a lot of years now. but has no home of his own let alone a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.
So if you have kids believe in the bible then do not spare the rod. teach them there are no free lunches in this world, OK there are the welfare pukes. Want your kid to be one?

:D Al

I had a chocolate lab that went to the woods with me. Wasn't to help however it was to play fetch. Always bringing me a small chunk of wood to throw and she was happy chasing it all day.

I had a 40 year old worth less piece of useless meat for a son. I tried to get him to help out around the place like doing fire wood but he would PISS and MOAN till his mom would tell me to let them be kids while they were kids. Today she knows the errors of her way. Only good thing is the kid has held a job for a lot of years now. but has no home of his own let alone a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.
So if you have kids believe in the bible then do not spare the rod. teach them there are no free lunches in this world, OK there are the welfare pukes. Want your kid to be one?

:D Al
good for you on the work ethic's! not good on you for labeling your son on "A.S." as a ("@#$%^&*") , as all parents never have all the answers to raising a child! NOT ALL OUR CHILDERN FOLLOW IN OUR FOOT STEPS AS WE "WOOD" LIKE. life seems to have a route chosen for each of us at some point . sometimes that point does converge to the same wishful spot we wanted for our children! to each their own to wonder and flounder in life's choice's....

I am 32 years old, we just threw a party for my dad's 80th birthday tonight. My father is much older than most people's my age. I always feel like I belong to the generation before me as I was raised more like they were. My father was hard on me when I was growing up. He had high expectations, you earned your keep and he worked me hard. I got a good whooping when I had earned it I didn't always like him growin up, he used to say he was my father not my friend. I think back all the time and am thankful he taught me what he did. It has paid dividends over and over.
I hear that. My mom and dad were older than my friends' parents (my dad was 42 when I was born) and on top of that my dad had been a USMC gunny who served in WWII. I definitely felt like I came from an older generation because of it; like you, I was expected to meet strict standards and wasn't handed anything. We butted heads constantly and I left home pretty young, but I realized later that it was only because he had trained me to be stubborn and self-reliant that I was able to survive on my own at that age.

It took a while for his lessons to completely settle in, and he had his faults and made his mistakes, but I learned the same things you did. Be honest. Keep your commitments. Do your best work. Own your mistakes. Treat your wife with honor. I can't claim that I've never slipped on any of those things, but as guiding principles they've paid me dividends too.

We usually have a hired hand. This year it was hard to find good help.
Had one guy that worked great, but quit after his first paycheck. Then filed a complaint with the labor dept. That went no where, he had been paid over min wage. He somehow expected $25/hr. Even the labor board lady laughed over that one! I mean shoot for the hrs I work I don't even make min wage!

The guy we have now has been working out great. Wish he came on board months ago! Yesterday I asked if he brought lunch, he goes, "yeah, I had a sandwich in my pocket and ate it while stacking wood. I didn't want to waste time taking a break"

My other "helper" hard at work making sure the floor doesn't float away. Apparently it makes a good pillow, that's the proper sleep position. He sleeps with his eyes open sometimes, has 2 sets of eyelids... I guess one set is for swimming.

20161020_135559.jpg

Back