who makes the best files?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Nicholson they seem to bite harder and cut better. they also seem to last longer than the oregon ones. Then again my chain is never beyond 3 licks a tooth to be sharp and pointy.

3 licks from scrap????

- just kidding....:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

A file card is a steel brush of sorts who's purpose is to clean files. I must admit that I don't use a proper card, I use a toothbrush size wire brush. It works well.

Ian

If your sprocket is wore and you put a new chain on it , it will stretch the chain. Other then that running a dull chain, getting it into dirt , sand etc. will stretch it faster. On the average working on the ground about 2 chains to 1 sprocket is average for me. Saws up in buckets have less problems cause the wood is cleaner and they do not bump into things other then wood often. A good sprocket is often overlooked and it is a major component to maintaining the performance of a chainsaw. Chains last longer, less vibration,and stress on the crankshaft and bearings,av dampners etc.

The part I don't understand is how you only have to sharpen a chain once before it is streched out and you have to remove a link. When felling timber I can usually get 2 maybe 3 hours out of a sharpening in clean wood before the chain needs a lick or 2 with a file. I'll run the same chain for 2 weeks 6 or 7 hours of cutting a day, and seldom have to remove a link before the chain is gone. Maybe your oiler isn't putting out enough.

Andy

Hey Red, Don't worry with it. We know that the only way to do what he describes is to run a dull chain.

Anyone ever hear of a visa or master file card?? Next time I'll tell knock knock jokes....hahaha

J/K

I was cutting the other day trying to get wood in before it snowed and ran into a half inch cable inbedded in the piece of oak I was cutting. This had to be a 100-150 year old tree.
anyway, the storm was coming and this chain looked ugly...had to be sharpened. The files I have say swiss made on them and the one in my handle was old (I used the s@i* out of it) and progrss was going slowwww.
I looked around and found a brand new (swiss made) file and remembered how nice a new file cuts. About 10 licks w/the old wore out file and 5 with the new. New files ROCK!

Latest posts

Back