Who pays retail at their Stihl dealer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firemoore98

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have never payed retail at my Stihl dealer, in the past I have been able to negotiate a free chain or two, a free case and even discounts of @15% when the dealer is in the "mood"....

So here's the question do you pay what the dealer asks or negotiate?

Are there legitimate benefits to dealer shopping or do you find dealership loyalty is worth paying a few extra bucks in the end?

Also please post what you have paid recently for new Stihl equipment and please avoid publicly calling out the specific dealership, don't want a good dealership to get in trouble with the man.

As a side note, and the reason for the thread, I'm shopping for a new ms261cm gen 2 and dealers seem kinda grumpy and not willing to budge much right now. I was quoted $599 w/18" bar. A little birdy told me I should be @$560ish for a new ms261cm w/16" bar or $525ish PHO.

This thread is not about dealer trashing, it's about getting a good fair deal. I buy a decent amount of Stihl equipment and just wanted an outside opinion on if I'm being to aggressive in my negotiations, I know they need to make a buck and I want them to make a buck.

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought my MS291 with a 20 inch bar brand new in October during Hurricane Matthew for $469.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I paid full price on my ms261cm w/20" bc ($640ish after tax), but the dealer threw in 2 extra chains, an extra bar, a gallon of bar oil, and a gallons worth of motomix. They also did a break in on the saw, and gave me 10% off the repairs to my 034 and 028 that got straight gassed. Long story there.

They will move a little on prices, but repeat business is noticed and they take care of me. Smallish shop, with some good mechanics hiding in the back room.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I paid full price on my ms261cm w/20" bc ($640ish after tax), but the dealer threw in 2 extra chains, an extra bar, a gallon of bar oil, and a gallons worth of motomix. They also did a break in on the saw, and gave me 10% off the repairs to my 034 and 028 that got straight gassed. Long story there.

They will move a little on prices, but repeat business is noticed and they take care of me. Smallish shop, with some good mechanics hiding in the back room.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Some quick math and I'm thinking you got north of $125 retail in free goodies. I would take that deal if it was offered to me by my local dealer.

I guess my problem is I buy Stihl equipment from many different dealers and no one dealer recognizes me as a high volume purchaser. I buy for my families farm in southern Ohio, central Ohio for personal and my fire department, I typically call around and go with the best deal. I had a dealer tell me the other day, if I bought more, they would deal with me more on price, in my head I was thinking deal with me more on price and you will start to recognize me, it's like what came first the chicken or the egg...

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming

Jason

Sometimes they throw me a deal or sell/give me used parts. But I don't beg or whine for a special deal. They need to make money in order to stay in business and be there for me, with an extensive in-stock parts inventory. An extra $20 or $30 or whatever makes no difference to me in the long run, but losing the shop would be a huge disappointment.

On saws they'll work with me on the price, especially if it's cash. A number of years ago he would've let me take a new 562xp w/ 20" and a six pack of premix for $680 which I didn't think was too bad, but I got my NOS pre X-torq 372xp instead. Can't say I've regretted it!

On chains and oil and such I don't even bother to ask. I've gotten goodies like beer can sleeves or hats for free before. I give enough business (possibly too much, says my wallet) there where not paying retail would be nice, but they're a business and with a family I'm sure he could use the $$$. Doesn't bother me any that I pay retail on most things.

Dealers in my area want 629.00 for a 261. Meebe 599.00 on a sale push. Dealer closest too me gives no freebies.

Jason that dealer is spot on. We have had to bid on contracts for the town and cities in my area and we win the bids not on price but on how good our service is. It is a relationship you are cultivating. Also calling around... worst thing you can do. Talk to the person face to face, look at his shop, ask yourself will this place fit my needs?

Dealers that give discounts are out there, it's just that you have to find them. Some will act all butt hurt and stuff if you ask for a discount. Some will act as if you just insulted their spouse and they're ready to fight you.

Yet, others will say, let me check and see if I can work with you on a better price. :)

Gentlemen, I appreciate the responses. My nearest dealer has never offered me $1 off a new piece equipment, but treats me great on parts, I've ordered over $1,000 worth of chains, oils, cant hooks, etc from them with zero complaints.

This is the dealership that's wants a purchasing history relationship before I get a discount. Maybe I suck it up and pay the extra $30 and start up the relationship on this ms261cm.

I'm not stubborn, I posted this thread to check myself and see if dealership shopping was not a good thing in the end, I'm thinking I need to stop this habit.

Thanks

Jason

I buy all at big JD Stihl dealer 10 minutes from me. Great parts inventory and they actually know saws. Standard for me is 10% off. Sometimes extras too but don't push. Like now free case with some saws, not 261 but that would come in. They know me by name and not shy giving referrals. Relationship over 20 years. One referral bought a cabbed tractor and gator from my salesman.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Most of the hagglers are guys that do so on every purchase, and are guys that will drive 50 miles to save $5 on a loop of chain.
But as far as expecting any loyalty from giving them a discount...... Forget it....

Dealers only really notice buyers that BUY Equipment, parts, supplies, because time is money....
And in turn, they should take care of these customers.

Rednecks that want to haggle over a free file, a hat... Well.....

Stihl dealers are different, since Lowes doesn't sell Stihl.....

I dunno..... The redneck A.S. member.......... Most Stihl dealers would probably give them directions to the nearest Stihl dealer in the next county......

We used to deal with some a-hole loggers in Anderson county..... They never bought any saws from us, would come in every now and again to try and haggle on chains, all of the time, trying to tell me how valuable a customer that they were....
Saying that the dealer in Waddy, Ky. sold them chains for $xx a loop.....

I would just point to the road to Waddy, KY......... Said, it is @ 30 or so miles away........... Of course they never bought a saw from us...... Never brought a saw in for repair.... But would feel free to come in all of the time and ask 1,000,000 questions on how to fix theur saw.....

An actual buyer from an actual commercial customer........ Well, he could probably negotiate, but if he didn't bring in some business....... Why give away profit?

I am just trying to wake some of you guys up..... Just because you fiddle with saws, cut some firewood, maybe sell a few logs, don't expect some "commercial" status.

Just because you have a friend at a Stihl dealer that is stupid enough to give you a handful of tiestraps, doesn't mean that Stihl gives them away for free.....

Sorry, just rambling.....

At the dealership where I work the price is the price, most OPE has too small a margin for us to offer discounts. I deal with phone shoppers every day, most never buy. It is tough to compete against other dealers who quote a low price then tag on freight, set up and finance fess once the customer is in the chair. If you won't give me a name and phone number I am not going to waste my time.

Most of the hagglers are guys that do so on every purchase, and are guys that will drive 50 miles to save $5 on a loop of chain.
But as far as expecting any loyalty from giving them a discount...... Forget it....

Dealers only really notice buyers that BUY Equipment, parts, supplies, because time is money....

I dunno..... The redneck A.S. member.......... Most Stihl dealers would probably give them directions to the nearest Stihl dealer in the next county......

We used to deal with some a-hole loggers in Anderson county..... They never bought any saws from us, would come in every now and again to try and haggle on chains, all of the time, trying to tell me how valuable a customer that they were....

I would just point to the road to Waddy, KY......... Said, it is @ 30 or so miles away........... Of course they never bought a saw from us...... Never brought a saw in for repair.... But would feel free to come in all of the time and ask 1,000,000 questions on how to fix theur saw.....

An actual buyer from an actual commercial customer........ Well, he could probably negotiate, but if he didn't bring in some business....... Why give away profit?

I am just trying to wake some of you guys up..... Just because you fiddle with saws, cut some firewood, maybe sell a few logs, don't expect some "commercial" status.

Just because you have a friend at a Stihl dealer that is stupid enough to give you a handful of tiestraps, doesn't mean that Stihl gives them away for free.....

And I thought the truck stop was the only thing in Waddy...

I did get a deal on my 550xpg from my dealer but also saved him $200 on his geothermal repair! I don't beat him up on price much because I know how annoying customers are to me when they always want a discount[emoji849][emoji53]. These dealers need to make a living just like the rest of us. The people who always want discounts are the ones retired and living in Florida for the winter that can afford to pay full price but won't [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to read your post twice and think about it for a few minutes. I'm not sure what type of customer I am to be honest. I get the just that some dealers recognize me and don't exactly smile when I walk in the door(in the past I've beat them up or bluntly told them they need to beat a neighboring dealer to get my sale) I want to be a loyal customer to one shop, and want the cheers atmosphere when I walk in, but if they are stuffy with me and quote me retail, it's hard for me to start that relationship. Realistically speaking between personal, family farm and fire department purchasing, I am good for about $3,000-$5,000 a year in Stihl business. State bid pricing covers much of the equipment I am purchasing for the fire department, its mostly the personal and farm equipment where I run into the moral quandary of how to progress in haggling. Morally I don't ask for the state bid pricing for non fire department purchases it's not ethical to haggle based off of those purchases and profit margins are very narrow with this pricing format.

It just seems like I could have my cake and eat it too. I could get 10%ish percent off retail, either in discount or free chains etc and have a positive relationship, just haven't found that balance and want this ms261cm purchase this week to start the ball rolling in that direction.

Full disclosure my $3-5,000 in Stihl purchases over the last several years is spread over probably 5 Stihl dealers. This thread is about how in my own consciousness I want to get away from this practice. I do have a favorite out of the bunch, small, nearby, family owned, good stock of parts and equipment, will to order parts even small orders, longstanding Stihl dealer and overall friendly, but they quote me retail, saying they want a relationship of selling to me before I get a discount, as I stated above in my head when the dealer said that my internal voice said, give me a slight deal so I can walk out of here happy and we will have that relationship.

Jason

Was with same stihl dealer for over 10 years, 10% off with out asking for it always buy genuine parts through the dealer. 2k nzd for 660/661 power head only. Great service and good guys, shame stihl hq left them hanging out in the breeze over crap 661's.

I had to read your post twice and think about it for a few minutes. I'm not sure what type of customer I am to be honest. I get the just that some dealers recognize me and don't exactly smile when I walk in the door(in the past I've beat them up or bluntly told them they need to beat a neighboring dealer to get my sale) I want to be a loyal customer to one shop, and want the cheers atmosphere when I walk in, but if they are stuffy with me and quote me retail, it's hard for me to start that relationship. Realistically speaking between personal, family farm and fire department purchasing, I am good for about $3,000-$5,000 a year in Stihl business. State bid pricing covers much of the equipment I am purchasing for the fire department, its mostly the personal and farm equipment where I run into the moral quandary of how to progress in haggling. Morally I don't ask for the state bid pricing for non fire department purchases it's not ethical to haggle based off of those purchases and profit margins are very narrow with this pricing format.

It just seems like I could have my cake and eat it too. I could get 10%ish percent off retail, either in discount or free chains etc and have a positive relationship, just haven't found that balance and want this ms261cm purchase this week to start the ball rolling in that direction.

Full disclosure my $3-5,000 in Stihl purchases over the last several years is spread over probably 5 Stihl dealers. This thread is about how in my own consciousness I want to get away from this practice. I do have a favorite out of the bunch, small, nearby, family owned, good stock of parts and equipment, will to order parts even small orders, longstanding Stihl dealer and overall friendly, but they quote me retail, saying they want a relationship of selling to me before I get a discount, as I stated above in my head when the dealer said that my internal voice said, give me a slight deal so I can walk out of here happy and we will have that relationship.

Jason

I wasn't taking aim at you at all.

Some of the guys here, yeah....

The real big dealers get a better price, and if they buy in large lots, get free shipping. So they may be more able to give discounts.....

Smaller dealers, well........ Each one has their own story..
The guy I buy from, well, I am nice, and don't bother trying to haggle with him..
And I buy a lot.....

Back