Why Do You Buy New or Used???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one saw I currently have and the one I am buying shortly will be/have been NEW. I've HAD saws I got for free and got going too but gave them to friends in need.

After my new saw purchase, I think I'll look at used from now on as I'll have two GOOD saws that WILL work. After that it's just toys/tinkering material. I have WAY too many lawnmowers right now and my work space is limited... so maybe I'll switch from lawnmower projects to chainsaws as they take up less space.

Well, the question and answer are subjective...

I think most folks here would agree, all of us would rather pay $300 for a saw that sells new for 2x - 4x the price...no question.

But this answer doesn't come with just cost, all of us need to decide on what we want to get out of our saws, and for some people it will always be desirable to buy from a dealer who can service the saw for you.

When you buy used saws you could have times where you need to fix something, or order/replace a part. For folks that are not mechanically inclined, buying used saws may not be a good route. One of my local dealers treats me like crapola because they know I'm not going to buy much from them. A couple others don't treat me too bad, but the one closest to me stated up front that if I buy saws on the internet, they won't work on them...unless you pay...(as the Teflon-Man says, you gotz to pay!).

OTOH, if you like getting good deals on saws, you just can't beat buying used.

There are lots of saws out there for sale, some in good condition, some bad, and lots in between. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and enjoy the satisfaction of tuning up and getting things to work, used saws are the obvious answer. Most problems can be fixed even if you need to rebuild a saw. I find that to be satisfying to me, taking a saw that won't run and turning it into a running saw again.

OTOH, if you have a specific task and just need to cut, a new saw can fit that bill just fine.

I have one saw I bought new, but I did look for it used first, couldn't find one. That is a limbing/carving saw, so specialized. I bought it over the inet, as they don't sell these models in Cali. So, for this type of saw I had no choice unless I would go to a different model.

I am now growing my arsenal of saws and will have 4 working saws today, and 1 I'm working on to get running...:monkey:

Thanks for all the input!

After rolling it over in my head and doing repeated searches for used, I just went out and bought a new 372xpw with 24in bar for $800. Ouch, that is a lot:dizzy:

The place was having it's open house today and had 10% off saws. So with 10% off and 6% sales tax, I got 4% off of a $850 saw or so. Screw it, I need the saw NOW and will have it forever. I might have only saved two Jacksons but it came from an excellent dealer if anything goes wrong. That and I travel on a lot of back, snow covered roads where trees fall down all the time and reliability is of upmost importance. Hence the reason for this little purchase. Couldn't get the old (and I mean old) Echo started Friday. I was blocked in from both directions and so had myself a nice little (loooong) walk for help.

Can't wait to bring it to work. The 142s they give us aren't up to the task and everyone keeps steeling the old 361 for themselves (at work for work use).

I guess Christmas came early this year:greenchainsaw:greenchainsaw:

Saw should be in by next week. I need to start building the firewood pile.

Did I really spend that much?:jawdrop::givebeer:haha

Good for you, that sounds like it will work out great for you!

As you said, it's a hefty amount of money, but it's a great saw also.

Sounds like the dealer is worth doing biz with also, that in itself can be a compelling reason for some to buy new, nothing wrong with that!

Another used one just followed me home, not as nice as a 372xp, but a 56.5cc Stihl 029 Super. Decent shape! We all get to pick our poison! :cheers:

I by mostly used saws ,the only new i ordered was the 660w in 2004 with my sawmill ,the rest was purchased running or in parts.

Back