Why Do You Buy New or Used???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByTheLine

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got my eye on a 372xpw but am wondering if buying new is worth the price. How many here actually splurg on the new all the time?

New for the saw seems to be 800+ and used 350-500. Since I plan on keeping the saw for the better part of my life, I was thinking ahhh screw it, just get the new. Then I know it's background. Then I remember coming across a 395xp at an auction that started on the first pull and that sold for $230 (I know, F me).

Seems the Amish around here spiff up their saw's muffler with engine block paint before selling. Kinda my way (and apparently others) to tell age and wear on a saw.

I know many here get $$$ via a fund from their union or company for saws. So what are you blowing it on. New or Used?

I have one saw that was new the MS-250, my friend gave it to me (gift from his ex) never ran till I got ahold of it. I'm not a mechanic but I bought a MS-290 for 25 stones at a garage sale and all it needed was new fuel line, because it was dry rotted, runs like a top. Just bought a 038 Magnum and I have about 50 bucks in parts coming (another 32 for air filter), all in all less than 400 and I own what seems to be a legned of a saw. It would be nice to know who owned and how they took care of things but seems like if you half a mind on how to do things there is a plethera of knowlege and experience on this forum alone to get you into some high flyin' chips.

I enjoy buying used...I've only bought three new saws. New 346XP - 300 bones, 362XP - 350 bones, and a 359 (traded it for two used saws). Just something about fixin the little things it may need and giving them a new luvin, wood cuttin home.

All my saws are used saws and do not see getting a new at all. I have enough saws and they all run right with the help of this forum. I bring more than 3 saws with me when I go cutting and if I have a problem with one I just grab one of the other ones. I`m yet to have any problems with any of them. Heck, I don`t even sharpen or change a chain in the field, I just grab anther saw when the chain gets dull. I don`t cut as much as others so most of my saws are over kill. Yes it would be nice to have a new saw, but that would take the the fun of fixing them.

I like to buy new.
But - In my quest to a 3 saw plan from my old Stihl 021 (35CC) I was looking for a Stihl 441 (70CC) next.
And whoops a brand new Efco 3600 (35CC) fell in my lap for $50 :).
Then whoops I won the JD CS62 (62CC).:jawdrop:
So now I'm resigned to buying a used Stihl 660 for my new 4 saw plan, because I can't justify the new price. Plus my CS62 won't run a Ripsaw. And SWMBO is wondering why all the saws.

i buy blown up non running saws because i cant even afford them used and running.

rebuilt my 084 traded that for a 372 ported it. rebuilt my 10mm 044 from the ground up. i have im gussing 250 300 into the these saws and that includes buying bars and chains.

im workn on my ms 440 now, well tryn to. bought it for 30 bucks and am rebuilding with a meteor piston then acid cleand a cylinder and fully ported it. i wont have much into this one because im kinda bared and chained up now. ive already pressure and vac tested the bottom end and shes good to go. even found some 440 plastic at dealer for 5 bucks.

then the 15 dollar ms 260 and my 30 dollar 028super

ohhhh i traded work for a 034 super

and have another 10mm 044 parts saw.

my dream is to some day buy brand spankin new ms 660. i think it would be worth it to have a new saw and i think the 660 is the special enough to get it new

The way I see it, there's not much sense in saving 30% or less on a used saw. Any used saw is a gamble. Even if it's pristine, etc, you really don't know what's going on with it, and I've yet to find a craigslist seller who is willing to let me start tearing the saw down to look at everything when I buy it.

Generally, when I buy "used", I like it to be like new, or very good condition. Then, I'm looking for whatever I'm buying to be 60% of new price or less. I'd like to think that there's enough savings to cover you if something is amiss, so you can at least break even with the cost of a new saw.

my dream is to some day buy brand spankin new ms 660. i think it would be worth it to have a new saw and i think the 660 is the special enough to get it new

I bought new. Not necessary at all. I wish i bought used and built it.
Don't get me wrong a nice clean pristine saw is awesome but i like the satisfaction of building my own.

I too would like to get my hands on a 660!! all my saw where used when i got them.

if you go used, are you capable of repairs/mods on your own? thay is key going used. you will be your own dealer so to speak if the saw needs work now or later.

New is sweet. Old and used is better. Why? Building them is a passion. Have bought 13 new saws in the past 10 years. Still have 2. Have bought about 30 used saws in the past 10 years, still have them all. Only way to go in my book. Any thoughts? :givebeer:

New is sweet. Old and used is better. Why? Building them is a passion. Have bought 13 new saws in the past 10 years. Still have 2. Have bought about 30 used saws in the past 10 years, still have them all. Only way to go in my book. Any thoughts? :givebeer:

If you give me a beer ill agree with you.

I myself buy used blown up or non running saws and repair or rebuild them. I never seem to have the spare change to spend 600.00 plus for a quality new saw. So this way seems to work for me. I got where I really like to mess with them now so I will most likely never buy new. Now that I think about it I've never bought a new car or truck either. Rick! :cheers:

Last edited:
USED of course

I like used things in general, that's true of saws as well.

Cheaper, the first guy pays markup and tax. Even with the high resale value on pro saws you pay less than 50% of new prices.

Better selection. Sometimes new isn't best. If I don't want an EPA carb, I'll buy an 80's or 90's saw. If I didn't like plastic I could buy a 70's saw.

Pre ruined. I don't cry for 10 minutes the first time I put a scratch in it.

Comes with an excuse to mess with it. Better take it apart and check it over real good.

Customizer friendly. can get mix and match. Not stuck with some package deal.

my $.02

Back