why is a Poulan a pullin'?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CedChop

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm a novice here. I'm not trolling to start a fight.

I've used cheap stuff like Poulan's for years. I had a significant cedar clearing to do so I treated myself to a Stihl MS250 and I am astounded at the difference. It starts reliably, while using it you can set it down and idles doesn't die etc. Restarts when hot, no problem.

I've taken the Poulan Pro apart several times and honestly it actually looks more heavy duty than the Stihl. More metal less plastic etc. But starting it and keeping it running was always a pain. I looked for reviews on the web and sure enough there were like hundreds of complaints and then mysteriously they all disappeared. In fairness to Poulans I think the old stuff was ok.

I was thinking maybe the Stihl had their own better carb but its got Zamas too. So I just can't figure out what makes the Stihl so much better. Is it the metallurgy of cylinder, piston, crankcase better, tighter tolerances?

I've had a similar experience upgrading to an Echo trimmer.

I guess there's a reason that all you see on these landscaping crew trailers is Stihls and Echos I just wish I could figure out what makes them so much better.

I'm a novice here. I'm not trolling to start a fight.

I've used cheap stuff like Poulan's for years. I had a significant cedar clearing to do so I treated myself to a Stihl MS250 and I am astounded at the difference. It starts reliably, while using it you can set it down and idles doesn't die etc. Restarts when hot, no problem.

I've taken the Poulan Pro apart several times and honestly it actually looks more heavy duty than the Stihl. More metal less plastic etc. But starting it and keeping it running was always a pain. I looked for reviews on the web and sure enough there were like hundreds of complaints and then mysteriously they all disappeared. In fairness to Poulans I think the old stuff was ok.

I was thinking maybe the Stihl had their own better carb but its got Zamas too. So I just can't figure out what makes the Stihl so much better. Is it the metallurgy of cylinder, piston, crankcase better, tighter tolerances?

I've had a similar experience upgrading to an Echo trimmer.

I guess there's a reason that all you see on these landscaping crew trailers is Stihls and Echos I just wish I could figure out what makes them so much better.
You did exactly what my dad did years ago - you got tired of a saw that was not tuned properly and not running properly, and went out and got a "good" saw. You knew it was a "good" saw because of the name on the side and that all the landscapers use those.

But in fact what you got is pretty much the exact same thing, a plastic chassis clamshell design made out of the same materials as the Poulan. If your Poulan was a 5020 then it at least has a proper metal clutch cover and an outboard clutch so it won't melt the case if run at high idle with the brake on for a short time. And the Poulan does not have bar studs screwed into the plastic like the Stihl does. They both have cheap fuel systems that work the same way, probably both have ZAMA (Stihl) carbs of similar design, and if tuned improperly they will misbehave in the same way all saws do. And the tuning will change as temperature, altitude and other things change.

My dad paid $409 for his MS250C in 2009, and it had defective or improperly installed fuel lines and would not start or run reliably. The dealer was unable to fix it, so he gave it to me - I fixed it and gave it back. It's a nice saw but no better than a Poulan Pro. I've since torn it all down once because he ran it on old fuel and carboned it bad, and I've seen nothing impressive about it at all. It's OK, but not worth a bit more than any other plastic chassis clamshell.

When you buy on brand name you are usually giving your money away.

You did exactly what my dad did years ago - you got tired of a saw that was not tuned properly and not running properly, and went out and got a "good" saw. You knew it was a "good" saw because of the name on the side and that all the landscapers use those.

But in fact what you got is pretty much the exact same thing, a plastic chassis clamshell design made out of the same materials as the Poulan. If your Poulan was a 5020 then it at least has a proper metal clutch cover and an outboard clutch so it won't melt the case if run at high idle with the brake on for a short time. And the Poulan does not have bar studs screwed into the plastic like the Stihl does. They both have cheap fuel systems that work the same way, probably both have ZAMA (Stihl) carbs of similar design, and if tuned improperly they will misbehave in the same way all saws do. And the tuning will change as temperature, altitude and other things change.

My dad paid $409 for his MS250C in 2009, and it had defective or improperly installed fuel lines and would not start or run reliably. The dealer was unable to fix it, so he gave it to me - I fixed it and gave it back. It's a nice saw but no better than a Poulan Pro. I've since torn it all down once because he ran it on old fuel and carboned it bad, and I've seen nothing impressive about it at all. It's OK, but not worth a bit more than any other plastic chassis clamshell.

Generally speaking, the few big name brands may said to be more reliable, IMO, those that pay more are more inclined to take better care of the tool. Any saw will have a happy life if properly tuned and cared for but not guaranteed. After rebuilding carb, fuel system and tuned BIL's MS 310 for the second time, I researched what was going on. Found his uncapped (broken ) gas can outside in rain. I put a case of Trufuel next to saw and taped note on saw to USE ONLY TRUFUEL. I also put 2 new chains in the case. He's a good guy, just never had any experience with outdoor equipment.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Please name the Poulan you are referring to so we can respond appropriately, you can also send it my way
a7cc41655907b6afc3580e0cfbba8ef0.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

The Pullin is a PP5020AV. I bought it new like a year ago. So I'm sure its of the cost reduced cheaper variety now made/owned by Husqvarna. From day 1 it was extremely difficult to start. Then if I got it started and ran it to use about 1/2 tank it might die and then it would not start for love or money. So...I said to hell with warranty, took it apart, fixed the mixture screws so I could adjust with a screwdriver. Went thru tuning procedure and wow it ran. Sawed thru a 12" log and congratulated myself. A week later tried to start it up, and again won't start for love or money, not even a burp. took carb apart again, everything looks ok.

I had a limb blocking the driveway and needed to clear it so that's when I bought the ms250, it was on sale for $300. Anyway when I use it it never stalls and always starts up next day. So something is different. It's scary how easy it starts. You could make a movie with it.o_O

When I get time I'm gonna tear into that pullin to see whats wrong.

One question I have is how critical is that float tab adjustment maybe that was never set right at the Pullin factory?

Fuel was always fresh.

I picked up a 5020 on CL for $60 when I wanted to learn to tune saws it never gave me any problems. I gave it to my brother to replace his problematic 028. I think the 250 is an OK saw. But my 490 echo has made it a shelf queen.

I believe they both have small ZAMA carbs. ZAMA has been owned by Stihl for a few years now.

Maybe Poulan should use some higher quality suppliers! Maybe Poulan is buying the reject carbs that Stihl doesn't use. :)

Joking aside, Poulan tends to buy crap fuel line, so check that first.

I did notice that both the Echo and Stihl had fuel line that looks more like good fuel line. Its not that brittle clear stuff. One of the worst designs I have is a Ryobi trimmer where they run that cheap clear line that gets very hard out of the bottom of the tank so its impossible to stop it from leaking. If it had come out the top of the tank it would have a chance.

the 5020 has an interesting carb, its got like 2 air ports on the input so that it can pull in colder air, so they claim.

the 5020 has an interesting carb, its got like 2 air ports on the input so that it can pull in colder air, so they claim.
It is a strato engine developed by Zenoah and Husqvarna. It pulls fresh air (no fuel) through that second intake and down the transfers. Having the transfers fill with air delays the arrival of the fuel into the cylinder, reducing the amount of fuel lost out the open exhaust port, which is one of the major causes of pollution and wasted fuel in a 2-stroke. It's on even the cheapest Poulan, but Stihl has to pay to use it.

I wonder since inconsistent fuel delivery seems to be a problem with this saw if that is the source of the problems? Sounds like a good idea but perhaps this saw was a guinea pig for new technology that wasn't fully baked. Kinda like buying the first years production of a new diesel engine design.

i agree buying name brand is giving your money away but only if your buying lesser models. even some of the lesser models are significantly better then the poulans however, there are no stihl clamshells in that list lol

The Pullin is a PP5020AV. I bought it new like a year ago. So I'm sure its of the cost reduced cheaper variety now made/owned by Husqvarna. From day 1 it was extremely difficult to start. Then if I got it started and ran it to use about 1/2 tank it might die and then it would not start for love or money. So...I said to hell with warranty, took it apart, fixed the mixture screws so I could adjust with a screwdriver. Went thru tuning procedure and wow it ran. Sawed thru a 12" log and congratulated myself. A week later tried to start it up, and again won't start for love or money, not even a burp. took carb apart again, everything looks ok.

I had a limb blocking the driveway and needed to clear it so that's when I bought the ms250, it was on sale for $300. Anyway when I use it it never stalls and always starts up next day. So something is different. It's scary how easy it starts. You could make a movie with it.o_O

When I get time I'm gonna tear into that pullin to see whats wrong.

One question I have is how critical is that float tab adjustment maybe that was never set right at the Pullin factory?

Fuel was always fresh.
MIght help if you spelled correctly. Its Poulan.

I wonder since inconsistent fuel delivery seems to be a problem with this saw if that is the source of the problems? Sounds like a good idea but perhaps this saw was a guinea pig for new technology that wasn't fully baked. Kinda like buying the first years production of a new diesel engine design.
They've been out for years and are well sorted out. The MS251 is a strato version of the MS250. If it's not scored there is something simple wrong with your 5020, and it's a decent saw - I'd take one over an MS250 any day.

Back