Why no Stihl here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superwd6

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So today, for the second try @ our local Stihl/Husqvarna dealer I stop to tire kick. Today a different younger man is there, I tell him I want a Stihl 261 with heated handles, I like the saw ,it looks very well built so he tells me $729 . I ask him to price Husqvarna 346XPG expecting price a little higher- the idiot won't tell me,:dizzy:. He then tells how much more reliable the Stilh is even after I tell him about my 2 288xps & a new 576XPG autotune I like very much. I'm sending Husqvarna an Email about this clown that bashes a product he is selling. I'm a service man in the heating & air conditioning industry for over 20 years now & nothing discusts me more than negative selling. If you have to bash another to sell your stuff it must be crap!. To bad I really like the looks of the Stihl.
A year ago when I first looked @ Stihl an older salesman @ the same dealer done nothing but complain about Husqvarna as a company. I guess he didn't need the $1200 my wife payed for last years Christmas presant. :censored:
I now see why our family has delt with the Local Husqvarna dealer for over 30years.. Now where is my 550xp Autotune??:msp_smile:

You think the guy just might be telling you what he sees based on what comes through his shop? The local husky/stihl dealership here will steer you the same way, they say they sell over 10:1, stihl to husky.
Did you ask the guy why he makes those recommendations? Ask him to back it up with facts, both are great saws, imho and only my opinion the 261 is a better fit for my commercial firewood business as the four guys that use it and a 346 hands down like the 261 better. They think it is torquier, built more solid, they prefer the inboard clutch, larger captive bar nuts and larger chain adjustment screw, so they don't have to carry a small screwdriver to tighten the chain. Therefore, I'm trading or selling my 346 this week. Don't get me wrong it has performed flawlessly with no faults and has been an excellent saw, just not what the end users want to run.

Most dealers know little about the products they sell, they really could care less it's all about making the sale. I'm lucky to have a good Stihl dealer, but he puts down anything he doesn't sell no matter what it is, from saws to mowers, if he doesn't sell it, it's junk. Yea Kubota makes junk, sure Scag make crap. :dizzy:

Did you ask the guy why he makes those recommendations? Ask him to back it up with facts, both are great saws, imho and only my opinion the 261 is a better fit for my commercial firewood business as the four guys that use it and a 346 hands down like the 261 better. They think it is torquier, built more solid, they prefer the inboard clutch, larger captive bar nuts and larger chain adjustment screw, so they don't have to carry a small screwdriver to tighten the chain

After the second time this dealer give me the same lame story and bad adittude I really don't value anything he or the first saleman said:(. Like I said earlier, I think that 261 is very well built but comparing it to the 346, I think it should be better.new design vrs older 346 model:msp_wink:. I'm glad your dealer treats you well as my Husky dealer does ,I just try to be open minded about other products but won't drive anther 30 miles just to own that 261.
I lead in tech sales for replacement equiptment with over 75% sales closed with an industry standard of under 50% because I sell with positive coments not crap
Why can't I quote like everybody else does:msp_sad:

I do think its fair to let Husqvarna in on what's going on though...
This place doesn't have to carry Husqvarna if they think its crap. Its a little lame to carry a brand you don't stand behind.

I've been getting the same thing at a local dealer only he puts down Stihl and favors Husky. He sells both. I just ignore all the negativity and do my own research on this site and elsewhere. I know that both are good products and and I just chalk it up to salesmanship. When I wanted to buy a 440 from this guy a few years back he didn't have one and tried to tell me that no one wanted 440's anymore! So I just went down the road and bought one from another dealer. One of the best purchases I've ever made!

You think the guy just might be telling you what he sees based on what comes through his shop? The local husky/stihl dealership here will steer you the same way, they say they sell over 10:1, stihl to husky.
Did you ask the guy why he makes those recommendations? Ask him to back it up with facts, both are great saws, imho and only my opinion the 261 is a better fit for my commercial firewood business as the four guys that use it and a 346 hands down like the 261 better. They think it is torquier, built more solid, they prefer the inboard clutch, larger captive bar nuts and larger chain adjustment screw, so they don't have to carry a small screwdriver to tighten the chain. Therefore, I'm trading or selling my 346 this week. Don't get me wrong it has performed flawlessly with no faults and has been an excellent saw, just not what the end users want to run.

Doen't sound like you guys cut and limb much in the woods - the 346xp obviously is much better suited for that than the MS261 is. I'm sure it is fine for cutting up logs in the yard though, but which high quality saw isn't?

These guys also sell the other brand just to keep another dealer from carrying it.

Doen't sound like you guys cut and limb much in the woods - the 346xp obviously is much better suited for that than the MS261 is. I'm sure it is fine for cutting up logs in the yard though, but which high quality saw isn't?

SawTroll you are extremely knowledgeable but you let your bias against Stihl cloud your judgement at times.

Awwwww yes we know, you have run them both, you know first hand, wait a minute have you ran a 261, I didn't think so, haha. He said his workers like the 261 better, they also said no old man from Norway was gonna change thier mind either,LOLOL Troll its getting cold in Virginia and you know when it gets cold the first thing I like to do is pick on you, just like ole times huh,:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

Only thing that made me buy the 261 instead of the 346 was I had Stihl bars and loops of Stihl DL count chain, and that STUPID outboard clutch!!!!! I like to swap rims in the woods without all that heartache. Cutting the wood is enough work without fooling with that crap.

Only thing that made me buy the 261 instead of the 346 was I had Stihl bars and loops of Stihl DL count chain, and that STUPID outboard clutch!!!!! I like to swap rims in the woods without all that heartache. Cutting the wood is enough work without fooling with that crap.

The outboard clutch is a large factor in the fact that the 346xp is much better regarding handling, and who really needs to swap rims in the woods? :dizzy:

The outboard clutch is a large factor in the fact that the 346xp is much better regarding handling, and who really needs to swap rims in the woods? :dizzy:

Those of us that actually cut wood larger than 6 inch diameter sometimes use different bar lengths and pitches of chain for different applications. Newsflash, those rim sprockets do get messed up and or wear out after a while Niko.

I would love to own a 346NE, but when Im dropping that kind of cash, Im sticking with what I know works for this Kansas boy.

Awwwww yes we know, you have run them both, you know first hand, wait a minute have you ran a 261, I didn't think so, haha. He said his workers like the 261 better, they also said no old man from Norway was gonna change thier mind either,LOLOL Troll its getting cold in Virginia and you know when it gets cold the first thing I like to do is pick on you, just like ole times huh,:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

Feeling the MS261 in a shop was more than enough to confirm that my low expectations were justified, regarding how it would handle - it just felt appalling, for a 50cc saw. :givebeer:

I think some dealer's know about one make over another. Or could know little about any. But let's face it they are human like us, and probably have favorites too. I would ask himwhere he comes to the Stihl is better conclusion. I bet it is preference, just like some guy's prefer a ford or chevy. I do agree with Nikko on the 261 compared to the 346. The 260-026 would be closer in comparison I think. I picked up a 261 I got for my buddy. I never ran it, dont want to. It feels awkward, off balance, and like a boat to me. Just like a 441. I like the slim nimble feel, and balance of a 346, 260. I think Stihl really lost it on the added bulk. I pray they dont ruin the 660, and keep the 440 around.

Feeling the MS261 in a shop was more than enough to confirm that my low expectations were justified, regarding how it would handle - it just felt appalling, for a 50cc saw. :givebeer:

Got to agree with ya there Niko, it sure feels heavier than the 260 Pro it replaced. But it runs a hell of a lot better too!

I think some dealer's know about one make over another. Or could know little about any. But let's face it they are human like us, and probably have favorites too. I would ask himwhere he comes to the Stihl is better conclusion. I bet it is preference, just like some guy's prefer a ford or chevy. I do agree with Nikko on the 261 compared to the 346. The 260-026 would be closer in comparison I think. I picked up a 261 I got for my buddy. I never ran it, dont want to. It feels awkward, off balance, and like a boat to me. Just like a 441. I like the slim nimble feel, and balance of a 346, 260. I think Stihl really lost it on the added bulk. I pray they dont ruin the 660, and keep the 440 around.

Good post. I think brand loyalty has a lot to do with it. Not in my case except for the fact that I have more Stihl parts and bars/chains than Husky. Im sure if I ran a 346 I would love it. I do not like outboard clutches though, never have, never will. Thats what I like about the 365/372 series huskies, the inboard clutch, and they are a good running chainsaw.

Back