"Won't buy a Husky!"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must be single then....

after reading accounts here on AS about how terrible every chainsaw related item ever made is....

i will never buy another chainsaw

far more trouble than they are worth.

my stone axe might not be too fast in the cut, but its cheap, reliable and very easy to service in the field

Chainsaws are alot cheaper than women,,more reliable...Maint. is alot cheaper....Get pissed off and wont talk back to you...Can get a saw hot with a few blips with your finger...Share it with your friends and not get jelious...

Chainsaws are alot cheaper than women,,more reliable...Maint. is alot cheaper....Get pissed off and wont talk back to you...Can get a saw hot with a few blips with your finger...Share it with your friends and not get jelious...

Both kick like mules if you don't do 'em right...

So, while loading the truck after work today, I was talking to my father's best friend about saws. He's been a wood cutter for 28 years dealing almost exclusively with hardwoods. He runs a ported Stihl MS361..
Anyway, I'm looking for a new limbing saw (been askin about MS260Pro) and mentioned the Husqvarna 346, and he said "Won't buy a Husky no matter what" He then went on to tell me about his "Piece of S#%t 371"... Apparently he used to run only Husqvarnas but after some brutal repair costs and difficult dealer-customer relations he switched to Stihl. He did rave about Husqvarna's power and speed, but said it wasn't enough to make up for the other misgivings....
He told me about the random hard starts: he rigged up to do some high limbing, fired up his saw, warmed it up and shut it off, climbed the tree and couldn't start the saw.. he spent 20 minutes pulling, pulling and pulling untill he finally threw the saw 60 feet to the ground! The repair shop found nothing wrong with it, other than a severely bent bar from the fall.
He then had a Husky 272 that gave him nothing but problems... He did say that when it was running it was a bear, but that wasn't often. First the starter recoil broke, followed by the AV, then the oiler. After a few years it needed rings, then a piston followed immediatly by a cylinder. Carb was junk, fuel lines sucked to replace and they "Always" had issues. He finally junked it at the repair shops recomendation.... He added up the repair receipts and in the first year the saw cost him just over $1600. That saw was almost enough to turn him away from Husqvarna untill....
His most recent husky (can't remember the model). It was less than 2 months old, and ran like a banshee. Anyway, he was bucking when the chain got pinched. My father made a relief cut, he freed the saw, and it seemed fine. He tried to make another cut but the saw had no power... he gave it a few revs and a horrible sound came from the crank-case (like gravel)... he reved it up again and a huge fireball blew the muffler off and caught his hand an arm on fire! He managed to extiguish himself and the saw without injury. He brought what was left of the saw to the dealer-(remember it was less than 60 days old)- and the dealer couldn't do anything for him... so he contacted Husqvarna directly and still no refund, no replacement, nothing!
He has run Stihls ever since, and is using an old 361 that he loves. Starts within 3 pulls, plenty of power, and easy to keep up with..
I run a '98 Jonsered 2065 that has been nothing but great to me, but his story (backed up by my father) is enough for me to be a Stihl man from hear on out.
Wow ! I just started bidding on some Huskies on ebay. Was runner up bidder on a couple. Truth is my experiance out of 3- 1 new 55, 1 new 4? for a gift, 1 used 372, my purchased saws have been lemon, lime,lemon. The first lemon really hurt me financially , the lime was a gift I gave that I feel should have been better, the second lemon was somebody elses problem I purchased off ebay that wasn't worth my time but I did get most my money back. I work for a freind that has several Huskies and I will say on an average they have held up reasonably well, but I believe most stihls usually have less problems judging by these and other Huskies I've used. Since the 1980's I've been around a lot of Stihls, the older Sachs Dolmer and some of the old breeds. Huskies come and go around her since the late 90's, 1 farm store with several branches still handles them with stihl. The mechanic I deal with the most says you either get a good or bad Husky, he ends up replacing more topends where as he has far fewer stihls wrecking the top end.
I got a bunch of old stihls needing fixed at home. Better go. You guys that like Huskies keep on :chainsaw: if you got a good 1. Catch ya all later.

Well my brother's wife has a cousin who has a dad who's grandfather's son is a professional logger. He has used Stihls, Husqvarnas, Echos and Dolmars. He says that they are all garbage.

One of his Stihls blew up and the rod came out and hit his truck's gas tank. It resulted in an explosion that burned down three houses. It also killed 5 dogs and 7 cats.

The only saw that he uses now is a Wild Thing. He can run a 48" bar on it and cut down huge trees. I've got to honest with you and tell you that the Wild Thing is not stock. It has been muffler modded.

I'm selling my Husqvarnas and Makita to buy me a Wild Thing. I think I can run it stock because I'm not likely to cut down a tree over 36".

Long ago, I posted a pic of a Sears/Poulan tophandle with a 42" bar on it. I looked "awesome".

Mark

So, while loading the truck after work today, I was talking to my father's best friend about saws. He's been a wood cutter for 28 years dealing almost exclusively with hardwoods. He runs a ported Stihl MS361..
Anyway, I'm looking for a new limbing saw (been askin about MS260Pro) and mentioned the Husqvarna 346, and he said "Won't buy a Husky no matter what" He then went on to tell me about his "Piece of S#%t 371"... Apparently he used to run only Husqvarnas but after some brutal repair costs and difficult dealer-customer relations he switched to Stihl. He did rave about Husqvarna's power and speed, but said it wasn't enough to make up for the other misgivings....
He told me about the random hard starts: he rigged up to do some high limbing, fired up his saw, warmed it up and shut it off, climbed the tree and couldn't start the saw.. he spent 20 minutes pulling, pulling and pulling untill he finally threw the saw 60 feet to the ground! The repair shop found nothing wrong with it, other than a severely bent bar from the fall.
He then had a Husky 272 that gave him nothing but problems... He did say that when it was running it was a bear, but that wasn't often. First the starter recoil broke, followed by the AV, then the oiler. After a few years it needed rings, then a piston followed immediatly by a cylinder. Carb was junk, fuel lines sucked to replace and they "Always" had issues. He finally junked it at the repair shops recomendation.... He added up the repair receipts and in the first year the saw cost him just over $1600. That saw was almost enough to turn him away from Husqvarna untill....
His most recent husky (can't remember the model). It was less than 2 months old, and ran like a banshee. Anyway, he was bucking when the chain got pinched. My father made a relief cut, he freed the saw, and it seemed fine. He tried to make another cut but the saw had no power... he gave it a few revs and a horrible sound came from the crank-case (like gravel)... he reved it up again and a huge fireball blew the muffler off and caught his hand an arm on fire! He managed to extiguish himself and the saw without injury. He brought what was left of the saw to the dealer-(remember it was less than 60 days old)- and the dealer couldn't do anything for him... so he contacted Husqvarna directly and still no refund, no replacement, nothing!
He has run Stihls ever since, and is using an old 361 that he loves. Starts within 3 pulls, plenty of power, and easy to keep up with..
I run a '98 Jonsered 2065 that has been nothing but great to me, but his story (backed up by my father) is enough for me to be a Stihl man from hear on out.

I bought 372 xp lost first piston cylinder after a week, dealer would do nothing husky kept it for a month lost time with no apology from them they asked if I used mixed gas, of course I did they didn't believe me, replaced cylinder and piston and then 2 years later of just cutting wood for fire it scored again! I ran same gas as my dad uses in his stihl saws cut with him he never had any problems with those. I can't believe the saw has problems like that, could it be the epa mufflers?

My opinion is Husky have their problems as do Stihls. Some of the logging contractors I know use Stihl since Husky have a high repair cost (blue wires, stop switch, etc., etc). Most major problems are from the operators who don't take care or maintain the saw. Overtighten screws are just as bad as loose ones. I do quite a few cylinder replacements thru out the year from intake scoring (grossly plugged air filter) to the ones who can "tune" their saw (must have been the fuel). Just replaced a 395XP cylinder on Friday from a lean seizure....saw was only 2 days old....just seemed that the saw just didn't have the power.

My opinion is Husky have their problems as do Stihls. Some of the logging contractors I know use Stihl since Husky have a high repair cost (blue wires, stop switch, etc., etc). Most major problems are from the operators who don't take care or maintain the saw. Overtighten screws are just as bad as loose ones. I do quite a few cylinder replacements thru out the year from intake scoring (grossly plugged air filter) to the ones who can "tune" their saw (must have been the fuel). Just replaced a 395XP cylinder on Friday from a lean seizure....saw was only 2 days old....just seemed that the saw just didn't have the power.

Yes they do all have to be properly tuned, probably why mine had problems will have to check it all out on the next cylinder, was considering a big bore but read castings are not perfect, would like to do some porting, is big bore okay or is stock worth the extra 150? oem 372xpw cylinder not much different from aftermarket big bore just costs more.

I had the same kind of warranty issues with my 357xp/ Nothing blew up mind you- just the standard issue bad HDA walbro problem. Even with the tech sheet in my hand to show him its a known defect the dealer still told me to fly a kite. That was my last deal at that shop.

At another dealer I was pricing 660 vs 390. This shop has been Stihl and Husky for decades. The counter man told me to forget about Husky, they were probably going to drop them from the store due to parts availabilty, saw availabilty and what he just termed as "being a pain to deal with" or something like that. He said they can't get parts when they need them, and when they order stuff sometimes it shows up, sometimes it doesn't

I think when you hear something bad about a saw company you tend to stay away from them. I had a few people rave about :censored: and I was considering buying one. I went into a dealer who use to sell :censored: and said he dropped :censored: because his rentals did not last as long as the other brand. To him it was an indication the saws were not as good. I am sure :censored:saws are just fine but that story kept me from buying one even thought it was only one story. :chainsaw:

Never ran across the :censored: brand before, Who makes it?

This person is giving you advice here......

seems like the past 3 posters don't understand what I said, never said husky is trash love the saw had a bad experience at the dealership, lost another cylinder will have to have the saw checked, something is trashing it either running it hard hot too lean or something. I was looking for ideas not more uselessness getting no where on this overly long thread

Too late for me, I own three.
REJ2

I consider myself a Stihl guy. I own one. I have owned about 5 Huskys, still have 2 and one in a box to fix this spring. I want another 3120, and would be open to any of the pro series models that come my way needing some TLC. My 350 "Sawinredneck Jr" is my current favorite. Took a lot to unseat the Super XL as a "go to". Have to get the 262 run in and the 272 together. Yeah, I'm an equal opportunity accumulator.

Back