Yay - I recieved my 4Way Wedge - Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambium

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Recieved my 4Way Wedge For Troy Bilt - Pics

First and foremost I wanna thank Smokinj from Indiana for turning me to the guy who makes them. Awesome, thank you.

Second - Pics coming tomorrow, I already took it out of the box, installed and tried on few peices. It was so shiny and new in the box. :)

Third - I dont know what Im gonna do when I get to logs with knots in it. Gonna be time consuming to take off and put single one on and then back to 4way.

Forth - It was splitting nicely and I already see the time cut in half BUT...... bottom pieces were getting stuck in wedge and either I had to go all the way back with it to get them out or force them out by hand.

Fifth - Why is it not 32 degrees inside the house yet and...where's the bed

Last edited:
I throw all of the really knarly stuff off to the side. I still like to swing the fiskars, then I use the splitter for the tough stuff. Just split all the easier stuff with the 4 way, then split the knotty stuff with the single. I went with the timberwolf pw-1 and like the quick removable 4 way, but still enjoy swinging the ax even though I have the timberwolf.

Good idea..just gotta watch and put aside the bigger harder logs and get back to it later on. I'm also going to figure out a way to quickly unbolt the wedge...maybe a toggle bolt type locknut?

11pm I wish I can split some wood. Lol

100_1548.jpg

100_1546.jpg

100_1547.jpg

100_1550.jpg

I have to find something to put on bottom to cover that gap...I think thats why the bottom pieces are getting stuck.

You could put a notch on the bottom of the 4-way wedge so that it sits lower on the ram. That would close the gap.

I split a lot of wood with a 4-way splitter and I would always lift the wood up just ever so slightly at the fixed wedge. My wedge was designed exactly like the one shown but it was fixed. My splitter was designed to be just below my hip and the beam was set at about the bottom of my pants pocket so I could sandwich the wood between my leg and my hand and lift just a little. I never had a piece of wood get stuck doing it that way. Providing the wood even just a little space to expand makes a world of difference.

I have to find something to put on bottom to cover that gap...I think thats why the bottom pieces are getting stuck.

That's not the problem. The leading edge of the horizontal wedge is in front of the leading edge of the sliding base plate. The wedge engages the wood first, then the baseplate forces the wood upwards into the underside of the wedge. This is exactly why we opted to build our own multi wedge... to allow for the wood to expand when split, rather than compressing it.

WOW!!!!!!!!! Guys I am thrilled about this. LOL I was so excited I forgot it was 90 degrees out.

I just split a cord and a half of wood in 70 minutes. My typical time is half a cord in 1 hour.

Not only this is a time saver BUT gas too. Typically the gas runs out after half cord... I had done 1 and it was still going..I thought maybe it had solar power. :)

Anyway -- 4way wedge is the best investment for firewood.

P.S.S - I notice I have more energy & my back isnt sore since I dont have to hold and rotate the logs on the splitter.

Aside from the bolt bending into a u shape...I'm happy about this.

The bottom peice wedging isnt a big concern, just gotta force them out of lift the log a little at first.

Roughly 600 pieces in 70 minutes = 8 split pieces every minute. 4 pieces every 30 seconds.

The key to multi wedges is relief any time you split wood horizontally you need room for the bottom pieces to go, this is a problem on some of the expensive processors as well including blockbuster and a few others the best thing is to have your multiple wedges at the very end of your beam with nothing under the wedges so they can go freely where they choose.

The key to multi wedges is relief any time you split wood horizontally you need room for the bottom pieces to go, this is a problem on some of the expensive processors as well including blockbuster and a few others the best thing is to have your multiple wedges at the very end of your beam with nothing under the wedges so they can go freely where they choose.

This is a key point. 4-way wedges mounted on the ram will always jamb because the part that slides on the beam is taking up space. 4-Way wedges work best when mounted on the beam and the ram pushes the wood through the wedge. No commercial grade firewood processors have the wedge on the ram for this very reason.

This is a key point. 4-way wedges mounted on the ram will always jamb because the part that slides on the beam is taking up space. 4-Way wedges work best when mounted on the beam and the ram pushes the wood through the wedge. No commercial grade firewood processors have the wedge on the ram for this very reason.
exactly...i have one on my excavator mounted splitter,but its only good for straight grained stuff...i mostly run the single on it.

Its not really a big deal with the wedge on the beam. Even if they dont fall out(mine dont) you just put another round on the splitter and push it on through. Then when your done just clean out the last split, if it bothers you being in there.:cheers:

Its not really a big deal with the wedge on the beam. Even if they dont fall out(mine dont) you just put another round on the splitter and push it on through. Then when your done just clean out the last split, if it bothers you being in there.:cheers:

You know what...splitting another cord today drenched in sweat I realize they aren't getting stuck anymore... maybe its the oil I put on the beam and wedge a little. :) or maybe it's because I go all the way forward with the wedge.

Latest posts

Back