Yet another Wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e-d0uble

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Happy holidays all.. One of the few gifts I received this year was a whole bunch of free wood care of my town again. Can anyone ID this stuff? It's got sort-of shaggy bark, but not quite like the hickories around here. The heartwood is nice and dark, and this stuff was heavy! A friend of mine suggested it might be "swamp oak" as it apparently has shaggy bark like this, but this stuff didn't smell like oak (pungent and rotten-like) to me. Any ideas? One or two of the pictures also have a round or two of plain-looking maple in them, ignore those =) Thanks all!

Excellent.. if that's hickory I'm going to brave the freezing rain and try to grab more tomorrow morning. The bottom of this tree's trunk is at least 30" in diameter, and way too heavy for me to carry even if I cut it to 12" long rounds..

Better get it before the powder post beetles get to it.
Once stacked they will bore hole in it.. Will look like a 2 year old with an eighth inch drill bit set there for days drilling holes and making dust. Good wood score.

I would guess some type of Hickory also, just not used to seeing it that green and looks different than the shag bark hickory we have here in Missouri. We only fall them when standing dead for awhile. Great burning wood.

And ericjeeper is spot on...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Fantastic.. I'll grab as much as I can tomorrow. I don't think anyone else in this area is in the know regarding this wood's quality so I think I'll get all of it eventually (save for the huge 30" diameter section). I split one small round of it today for kicks and boy it was no easy task. The maul basically had no effect, and the wedge just bounced out. My easy-split struggled a little, but finally got through it. Even the split pieces are heavy as heck.

Fantastic.. I'll grab as much as I can tomorrow. I don't think anyone else in this area is in the know regarding this wood's quality so I think I'll get all of it eventually (save for the huge 30" diameter section). I split one small round of it today for kicks and boy it was no easy task. The maul basically had no effect, and the wedge just bounced out. My easy-split struggled a little, but finally got through it. Even the split pieces are heavy as heck.

I seriously doubt you are "the only one" That knows what great firewood hickory is.. And I know you are not the first one to find out that hickory gods do not give up their splits easily. It is stringy stuff.. But one could always quarter up the big stuff to get it home.. Then go rent a splitter one day after you have a huge pile built up.

Oh, I have no doubt that many, many others know what great stuff it is. What I meant to say was I don't think that the average passer-by on this particular road is going to recognize this wood and come to a screeching halt (as I often do). Last year I got blindsided by other wood-scroungers on several occasions, but not always. A few times guys stopped to grab some silver maple, and left the downed oak sitting there!! This time there was also some kind of maple that the town downed at the same time as this hickory that was much closer to the road. That tree got snatched right up as I guess folks saw it as "low hanging friut". Their loss! I grabbed a few pieces of the maple yesterday as well, why not.. This morning I grabbed all the remaining hickory. Man is my saw dull now. Thanks everyone for the advice as usual. I hope this stuff doesn't creamate my splittter and is dry by next January!
:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back