Yikes! Not so tight!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would use lag rod, at least 2 places.

As for the split itself? I wouldn't worry so much. It's not very wide, and will close eventually.

You mean through lags with the eye bolt threaded on? I think the lags were defective or wherever I got them was selling some highly under-rated stuff?
It does look like it has cracked before probably a few times and resealed but maybe years ago.

I used 1" steel rod threaded on both ends on an elm about that size couple of years ago. Had a 4' drill bit on a gas powered drill to make hole. Bought the rod from metal supply, rented the drill from tool rental place and had a plumber thread up the steel rods. I think split will heal over after rods put in also, it looks like it has split and healed a few times from the amount of bark along split. Couple of rods should help hold it shut. Some cables up higher would not hurt either. Can't see whole tree but looks like it would be shame to lose.

Sorry, I meant two lag rods thru the stem to secure the crack, and 2 eye lags w/ nuts to secure the cable.

Been a ROUGH day.

I'll have to check my rental place for a long bit, didn't think of that.
There are 4 main leads way up that is just about perfect position to put in 2 crossing cables, I don't think it's quite 80 ft. but close:D

Back