You think you're getting alcohol free gas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
In Canada most gas stations (maybe all) have alcohol free gas if you buy their highest octane premium gas, all lower grades have 10% alcohol. However, that hose from somewhere inside the pump to the nozzle end is full of whatever gas the previous customer selected and you are going to get all of it and it's probably low grade, as that is the most popular. If you are filling a small container ( 1 gal./4 L) you could end up with a significant percent of alcohol, not so bad if you are filling a larger container. Best approach is to pump the first .5 gal/2 L into your vehicle's tank before filling your container.

The e-free pump at my station is stand alone. You could always pump the first gallon into your vehicle. Unless you pedal a bike to the station:surprised3:

4d3d73e9ff2c62651f4e2ab01909cc31.jpg
f3dcd90d300e7259a61aceca03c61832.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now I been using the husky 50:1 pre mix in a can. I did add some extra husky two stroke oil to it. I want to run 40:1.

In Canada most gas stations (maybe all) have alcohol free gas if you buy their highest octane premium gas, all lower grades have 10% alcohol. However, that hose from somewhere inside the pump to the nozzle end is full of whatever gas the previous customer selected and you are going to get all of it and it's probably low grade, as that is the most popular. If you are filling a small container ( 1 gal./4 L) you could end up with a significant percent of alcohol, not so bad if you are filling a larger container. Best approach is to pump the first .5 gal/2 L into your vehicle's tank before filling your container.

AFAIK the only station with ethanol free premium is shell, every other one has ethanol in the premium gas.
Most dirt bikers and muscle car/ tuned car owners go to shell for this reason. Some of those run crappy on gas with ethanol in it. My saws don't seam to care tho.
I also fill the car before filling my jug to get rid of the cheap gas in the hose, the cars a little better on gas if you put the good stuff in it so it doesn't really cost any more.

For those that want to save the “test kit money” here is a simple way to test your local gas for ethanol content.
Pour a small amount of water into a narrow jar (an olive jar works great) and mark the water level with a Sharpie.
Add the fuel to around a 10:1 fuel:water ratio.
Shake well, let settle for a few minutes.
See if the water level has risen above the mark. If it has risen, it has combined with ethanol from the fuel.
So another words get a nice glass container and do some measuring and marking . Keep the fuel to water close to 10:1.... put your marks on the container for example 2oz vs 20oz ... mark the container for the 2oz of water ... if your fuel contained 5% ethanol it would be approx 50% of the 2oz marking ... if it rose the same amount above the water mark it would be 10% ethanol . The jar of course should be cylinder or square shape for an accurate measurement. Plus it’s free once you do the markings !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFAIK the only station with ethanol free premium is shell, every other one has ethanol in the premium gas.

Same for the Toronto area, shell V-Max premium is the only e=free option that I know of. Not cheap but at least we have it! Can't find a station that still has a separate pump for it so the first few litres go into the truck.

Sunoco sells their race gas in 5 gal tins, 95, 110 and lead versions of both. Specifically advertised as 0 alcohol content.

Latest posts

Back